Expansion Could a new stadium land Tasmania a team?

Remove this Banner Ad

theRainbowGame

Team Captain
Jul 16, 2012
Seattle
AFL Club
Geelong
If the Tasmanian Government and private interests could land Tasmania a state of the art 20,000 seat stadium would the AFL be willing to relocate a Melbourne team?

This is American style relocation with the government providing infrastructure in exchange for a national team.

Alternatively I also believe decent public ground transportation between Launceston and Hobart could also be the catalyst for the ending of their differences and support of a united football state.

How about just give both Hobart and Launceston an AFL team, and renovate the stadiums currently there to fit 15-20k each.

Both those stadiums and teams would fill to capacity far easier and attract higher memberships than GWS and Gold Coast....and the AFL wouldn't have to flush so many hundreds of millions down the toilet as they're currently on track to do with GWS and GC.

The AFL will only care about Tassie if there is money in it for them - and seriously large amounts. If you can guarantee another 10% increase in attendances, sponsorship, TV rights etc - then Tassie will get a team.

Until then, it doesn't matter what you do, it's not happening.

How about just give both Hobart and Launceston an AFL team, and renovate the stadiums currently there to fit 15-20k each.

Both those stadiums and teams would fill to capacity far easier and attract higher memberships than GWS and Gold Coast....and the AFL wouldn't have to flush so many hundreds of millions down the toilet as they're currently on track to do with GWS and GC.

Problem with that is is that the AFL will without a doubt need to support both teams financially for eternity.

Gold Coast has successfully integrated itself in the QLD community, and as the local population grows it will become a strong viable club.

GWS whilst looking like a dead end for football, is vital in ensuring footballs future. The team will slowly gain supporters in the West and eventually becomea major source of talent I believe.

The AFL seem so against the idea that addressing such a thought is a waste of time.

I can't say I'm complaining about their stubbornness, though; the Tassie deal probably saved the club I loved from liquidation.

If the Tasmanian Government and private interests could land Tasmania a state of the art 20,000 seat stadium would the AFL be willing to relocate a Melbourne team?

This is American style relocation with the government providing infrastructure in exchange for a national team.

Alternatively I also believe decent public ground transportation between Launceston and Hobart could also be the catalyst for the ending of their differences and support of a united football state.

Where in the world did you get these old ideas from?

Anyway, Boot park is currently state of the art with the new Ponting stand. Aurora wouldnt need much work to upgrade the facility. I dont see this as a way to get a team. The AFL have their own agenda & dont care about Tasmania nor its football.

Secondly, Public transport between the grounds is irrelevant. Some buses perhaps, but mainly cars would suffice for the 400k round trip. As they do now.

Tassie is not on the AFL agenda any time soon.
Maybe revisit in 15 years time if and when GWS and Gold Coast are more established if you are looking truly for your own club.
Not heard anything from AFL to think otherwise. The only way Tassie could get an AFL team down there in next decade is for a current club to actual think of shifting base and making it their new home like South Melbourne did in early 1980's to relocate to Sydney and make SCG home. No sign any club doing that. All that has happened is Hawks cleverly used a market starved of AFL footy to play some home games there knowing it pays better than playing low drawing clubs in Melbourne. That if anything holds back Tassie getting their own team as it is an obstacle now for another club to truly relocate their whole club there. I would have thought only Kangaroos or Saints would do that if they thought their long term future here was as bleak as South's back in 1981. However Bulldogs are more interested in doing a Hawthorn and exploring some games in Ballarat to make ends meet rather than relocate. North under James Brayshaw seem hellbent on staying a Melbourne based club. I always thought Kangaroos might become Canberra Kangaroos or something but since the days of the North-Fitzroy proposed merger North for most part are committed to staying the course here. St.Kilda is harder to read but got a bigger latent supporter base than Bulldogs or North so almost certainly stay put.

Tassie is not on the AFL agenda any time soon.
Maybe revisit in 15 years time if and when GWS and Gold Coast are more established if you are looking truly for your own club.
Not heard anything from AFL to think otherwise. The only way Tassie could get an AFL team down there in next decade is for a current club to actual think of shifting base and making it their new home like South Melbourne did in early 1980's to relocate to Sydney and make SCG home. No sign any club doing that. All that has happened is Hawks cleverly used a market starved of AFL footy to play some home games there knowing it pays better than playing low drawing clubs in Melbourne. That if anything holds back Tassie getting their own team as it is an obstacle now for another club to truly relocate their whole club there. I would have thought only Kangaroos or Saints would do that if they thought their long term future here was as bleak as South's back in 1981. However Bulldogs are more interested in doing a Hawthorn and exploring some games in Ballarat to make ends meet rather than relocate. North under James Brayshaw seem hellbent on staying a Melbourne based club. I always thought Kangaroos might become Canberra Kangaroos or something but since the days of the North-Fitzroy proposed merger North for most part are committed to staying the course here. St.Kilda is harder to read but got a bigger latent supporter base than Bulldogs or North so almost certainly stay put.

After 4 flags in the 15 years we've been down there i dont think a FIFO would work

Unless Hawthorn relocate (we wont) the only way a Tassie team will work is if its an authentic start up club...

Success comes at a cost

EVERY premiership flag Hawthorn wins further vindicates the taxpayer-funded sponsorship deal first struck almost a decade ago, but the club's success also makes a Tasmanian AFL team more of a pipedream...

As much as it pains me to say it, if Tassie truly wants their own club they need to turf Hawthorn from Tasmania

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No! There will not be a stand alone team in Tas in the foreseeable future -probably ever. The population couldn't sustain it. Not to mention the issues concerning the North-South footy divide.

Think they'll have the Dawks as their team for eons. Just why the government pours so many tax payers dollars into the Dawks coffers is astonishing. Little value. The Dawks would play there anyway.

No! There will not be a stand alone team in Tas in the foreseeable future -probably ever. The population couldn't sustain it. Not to mention the issues concerning the North-South footy divide.

Think they'll have the Dawks as their team for eons. Just why the government pours so many tax payers dollars into the Dawks coffers is astonishing. Little value. The Dawks would play there anyway.

With no financial incentives why would they?

I think we should make more of an effort to help our existing expansion clubs and Lions before setting up a new team in Tasmania

Suns have taken steps back. GWS are good but not yet finals material and Brisbane Lions is a team struggling to keep their young talent together. These issues should be addressed first before opening up another can of worms all together

AFL clubs over $40M a year to run (a few are on less, but they're clearly struggling). Hawthorn costs far more than that and the Tassie government 'buys' 4/11ths of the Hawthorn home games for $4M. Seems like a pretty good deal for Tasmania actually.

Tasmania already has 2 stadiums that are around that capacity, a decent standard and most importantly, cheap.

Building new ones wont change things that much.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back