Women's Footy Crows AFLW Season 2021 - “2nd comes right after 1st”

Remove this Banner Ad

"Pane rejected the suggestion a three-week penalty was disproportionate because the nine-match AFLW season was shorter than the men's competition".

What kind of a legal system where penalties are dealt with purely on an outcome and neglect the “intent” factor?

Yes, unfortunate there was a neck injury, but what was Marinoff supposed to do? Side-step her opponent and let the opponent carry the ball away?

Accidents happen all the time in sports. We shouldn’t muddle “accidents” as “intent to cause serious bodily harm”.
I'm so damn glad some sense has come into the AFL. I might have given up on AFLW this season if that 3 week ban remained the same.

Good on Abbott for the great defense, great job!

-------
Mr Pane: "Wherever the impact was ... is not the point, it's whether it was front-on."
So are you meant to tackle an opponent only from behind? Get ****ed Mr Pane!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good to see sanity prevail here. This is one of those decisions that, if allowed to stand, would open the floodgates to suspensions every week.

For what it's worth, I agree that the fact that the season is nine games long shouldn't lessen a penalty. You don't suspend someone for a proportion of the season. You suspend them for matches. If we start downsizing penalties that should be three weeks long to a single week, what do you do with actions that deserve a one week penalty?

The point is that this action didn't deserve any penalty. Barely even a free kick. It sucks that Stack was injured so severely but Marinoff didn't do anything.

Correct Stabby. Noffy, literally, did not do anything.

Don't agree with you on dismissing the proportionality argument though. To miss three games in a season of only 9 games was a HUGE penalty.

Don't agree with you on dismissing the proportionality argument though. To miss three games in a season of only 9 games was a HUGE penalty.

It definitely is, yes. I just don't see a good way to get around that other than, obviously, extending the length of the season.

Interested to see the jury explain why they overturned it
Reading some of Abbott’s defense, I think it’s somewhere along the lines of:
- no other reasonable alternative actions Noffy could act, given the circumstance.
- the force sustained was mostly caused by Stack going forward towards Noff and another GWS pushing Noff from the side.

I have some regained faith in the appeals process after last night. Still not much faith with tribunal penalties.

And it might not seem as big due to being the start of the season. But imagine if your team being guaranteed of a AFLW Grand Final, and you get whacked with a 3-week ban for a similar incident in the latter 2 rounds, and missing the GF as well!

Last edited:
I have to say, I’m enjoying our new media approach this year.
Possibly a result of last years survey? I had a good old whinge about the clubs existing media and communication in the survey. From comments I've read on the board its been a sticking point with most members for some time

The commentators last night and tonight kept saying the Victorian teams are disadvantaged by not playing the local Vic league last year. The local comps still went ahead in SA, WA, QLD and NSW.

Interesting that over the first two rounds there are only 4 of the 14 games where Victorian teams play non Victorian teams.

I'm sure this is just because of Covid and there's nothing more to it.

The commentators last night and tonight kept saying the Victorian teams are disadvantaged by not playing the local Vic league last year. The local comps still went ahead in SA, WA, QLD and NSW.

Interesting that over the first two rounds there are only 4 of the 14 games where Victorian teams play non Victorian teams.

I'm sure this is just because of Covid and there's nothing more to it.
Borders have a bit to do with it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back