Preview CROWS versus port - Community Series Match - Sunday 4.10PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Our current predicament doesn't rest on one player, or one current coach (because they're basically all new). It rests on a decade or more of club-wide mediocrity, blind faith in "senior players" and lack of consistent and targeted youth development/game exposure. This is the result - it hits all at once. The sporting example of "a stitch in time saves nine".
Yep. We're reaping what we've sown.

Worry is if Nicks and co see the solution as being Mackay and Kelly then we're just following the exact same path that got us here

Yep. We're reaping what we've sown.

Worry is if Nicks and co see the solution as being Mackay and Kelly then we're just following the exact same path that got us here

They know they're not the solution. They also know that a team with 15 kids will get their souls destroyed.

I'm of the belief that Nicks is the coach we need right now - culture, relationships, care - but won't survive to see the rewards of it in the long run.

We are going to be bad for a number of years yet. There won't be a Sando spike because the experience just isn't there. I'd like to think the supporters understand it but overall I don't think they do.

Sholl and Hamill are, but boy did they have a bad day yesterday, Hamill in particular
Sholl definitely an elite leg. Fog also elite.

That's probably where it ends unfortunately (not counting last year's draftees - maybe TT and Rowe?).

Hamil had been prone to a real shocker from day one. 50/50 prospect with the ball in hand. Needs to work on that as we need his run and dare desperately.

He’s also playing in the worst place in our side the forward line.
Seems to be an odd size as well, really don’t know where he fits into an AFL side.

At what stage do we consider turning him into a Shannon Hurn?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think this stems from people thinking Tex in the side is holding him back. I'm guilty of it myself.

If he could get 5-10 games straight without Tex in the side and still underperforms, there'd be a lot more heat on him in my opinion.

This Tex argument falls flat for me, just an excuse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They know they're not the solution. They also know that a team with 15 kids will get their souls destroyed.

I'm of the belief that Nicks is the coach we need right now - culture, relationships, care - but won't survive to see the rewards of it in the long run.

We are going to be bad for a number of years yet. There won't be a Sando spike because the experience just isn't there. I'd like to think the supporters understand it but overall I don't think they do.
I fear we'll play our experience and also target a number of Keays equivalents in a desperate attempt to stay semi-competitive. And every move like that moves us further away from getting better

Senior players who don't cut it are a cancer. They infect the next generation

I fear we'll play our experience and also target a number of Keays equivalents in a desperate attempt to stay semi-competitive. And every move like that moves us further away from getting better

Keays types are good in the short term. Right age profile, performs well enough to hold his spot over the more senior guys and is here on low coin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd rather us try some Keays equivalents over the next two seasons, strategically, than continually play long term guys on our list who don't cut it.

Fogarty gets a gold pass because he is one of only two forwards in the last two years to produce a dominant display at AFL level for us.

His 5 goals against West Coast at the end of 2019 has literally not been surpassed in terms of a single performance by any player since. Walker's 5 goals in 2019 the next best.

Because of that he deserves a run of more than just 4 consecutive games, the most we've ever given him

Keays types are good in the short term. Right age profile, performs well enough to hold his spot over the more senior guys and is here on low coin.
Yep. So the exact opposite of what we need to focus on.

*Keays is fine by the way. But you need to churn through plenty of 2nd chance guys (Crocker, Frampton, Stengle, Keays) to find a decent one. Is it really worth it?

Fogarty gets a gold pass because he is only one of two forwards in the last two years to produce a dominant display at AFL level for us.

His 5 goals against West Coast at the end of 2019 has literally not been surpassed in terms of a single performance by any player since. Walker's 5 goals in 2019 the next best.

Because of that he deserves a run of more than just 4 consecutive games, the most we've ever given him
I also didn't think he was as bad yesterday as some think either.

How anyone could succeed up there yesterday I have no idea.

Yep. So the exact opposite of what we need to focus on.

*Keays is fine by the way. But you need to churn through plenty of 2nd chance guys (Crocker, Frampton, Stengle, Keays) to find a decent one. Is it really worth it?
Why ??

It's far more worth playing him than most of the team currently. You need all types in a rebuild, he's one of the least of our concerns.

Our foot skills are dead average, the endeavor was there but at this level you have to hit targets.
I'm so critical of the lack of two sided players in the team but some of these bloke can't hit a player with their preferred leg...disappointing.
I can't seem to work out why our foot skills are so bad. Is it development or drafting bad kicks? It's endemnic through the whole team. Except for a few younger players and some in the SANFL team that can kick the majority are genuinely some of the worst kicks going around in the league. The other worrying sign is the inability to hi a target by handball. Often it goes to grass and from senior players. Surely our skills should be improving. What are they doing each day at the club? Yoga and weights? I have noticed that foot skills has never been an Ogilvie priority. With this new rule on the mark those teams that have good foot skills have a tremendous advantage we have never seen before.

Last edited:
Just caught a bit of the replay

Not sure if anyone was still watching by this stage but late in Q4 Rowe missed a goal from one centimetre out

Otherwise he looks ok
It was a bit comical that one. He did all the right thing roving the pack beautifully but shanked the dinky kick.
He’s defiantly got abilities. * he looks small though. Can he kick 50M because his earlier kick in the 3rd quarter was no better than myself could do.

If it reflected the onfield performance I bet the fight consisted of us trying to land haymakers, missing by miles, resulting in Port landing 20 jabs to the ribs followed by one swift kick in the nads.
Was probably McHenry trying to punch on with Dixon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back