Opinion Currently not enough good kicks in the backline

Remove this Banner Ad

He was bad enough on a wing. Loses his man and gets caught on the rebound really really badly. Would need to improve out of sight to play in the backline. Or be given a Yarran like role.

He was bad enough on a wing. Loses his man and gets caught on the rebound really really badly. Would need to improve out of sight to play in the backline. Or be given a Yarran like role.
That's what I was thinking.

Yarran's lack of defensive abilities don't hurt the side as they set up to protect him so much.

Dempsey's our equivalent, only now he's rivalling Fletcher for "best chop out".

That's what I was thinking.

Yarran's lack of defensive abilities don't hurt the side as they set up to protect him so much.

Dempsey's our equivalent, only now he's rivalling Fletcher for "best chop out".

I actually think Yarran is a weak link for Carlton, so I'm not sure if we want to do something like that. With don't have a Gibbs down there, or Murphy and Judd in the midfield.

But I don't rate Yarran anywhere near as much as others do, so maybe I'm missing something.

Yarran has damaging possession. He's quick also so hard to get hold of, he always seems to start an offensive rebound to the 50.
He's not the best overhead, I reckon he's no different to Jetta as a player, both clearly looked up to McLeod.

I actually think Yarran is a weak link for Carlton, so I'm not sure if we want to do something like that. With don't have a Gibbs down there, or Murphy and Judd in the midfield.

But I don't rate Yarran anywhere near as much as others do, so maybe I'm missing something.
What do you mean by "a Gibbs"?

Nice skills, sure, but he's not exactly a spoiling machine, or someone who gets across to help out guys more than any average defender.

Fletcher and Dempsey (at least what we've seen so far) are far better at helping out teammates, and arguably just as skilled.

I agree with you on Yarran. He's good, and crucial for Carlton, but he's like a deer in the headlights too much for my liking, and he turns the ball over a lot whenever I seem to watch.

What do you mean by "a Gibbs"?

Nice skills, sure, but he's not exactly a spoiling machine, or someone who gets across to help out guys more than any average defender.

Fletcher and Dempsey (at least what we've seen so far) are far better at helping out teammates, and arguably just as skilled.

I agree with you on Yarran. He's good, and crucial for Carlton, but he's like a deer in the headlights too much for my liking, and he turns the ball over a lot whenever I seem to watch.

I think Gibbs is incredible down there. Positions himself well, and uses it very cleverly. While Yarran goes for a run and looks special (apart from half the time, when he gets caught) Gibbs sets a lot of things up by giving it to the right person or being in the right place to take the pressure off.

Like what Heppell did for us last year, but far far better.

Dempsey is a more complete, rounded player than Yarran - ie, he defends.
I've never really "got" that comparison. They don't get given the same role, they're not the same size, and they certainly don't play the same way or share many attributes.
To me it's like saying Davey = Reimers.

In there (primarily) as a ball user, vs in there as a defender.

That's not to say we don't need someone with Yarran's skills.

They're both indigenous, rebounding half back flankers.
My issue/question is this:
is Dempsey actually there as a rebounder?
You're taking it as gospel - I don't think that's been his role under this coaching panel.

I don't think they'd be bothered if Dempsey had 0 touches for the match, if he was destroying forward entries like he did late against North and all game against Port.

Don't really know what indigenous-ness has to do with anything? Why would we single out players of a certain race, for comparison?

Half back flank vs back pocket vs wing is a moot point anyway with the amount they all switch & swap around.

My issue/question is this:
is Dempsey actually there as a rebounder?
You're taking it as gospel - I don't think that's been his role under this coaching panel.

I don't think they'd be bothered if Dempsey had 0 touches for the match, if he was destroying forward entries like he did late against North and all game against Port.
You're right, he's definitely changed under Hird, but I guess I'm assuming that he'll continue to provide run from defence; we was doing it against the Dogs in Round 1 last year, can't really remember the other games before he did the knee though.
Don't really know what indigenous-ness has to do with anything? Why would we single out players of a certain race, for comparison?
Why does Marty Clarke get compared to Tadgh Kennelly?

It happens, whether you agree with it or not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stats indicate we are the best kicking team in the league.

hmm.. very strange. As per all the other years these damn stats aren't reflective of what is actually happening as they seem to favour us all the time against the better judgement of a few supporters. Maybe someone works at Champion data who's a big Essendon fan?

Two big changes from when this thread was created

1. Heppell playing more minutes off a HBF; and
2. Dyson's form

Makes a big difference :thumbsu:

2. Dyson's form

That's only a small part of the overall improvement in this area IMO. Hardingham's kicking like he never has, and Hibberd was in the same boat.

2. Dyson's form

Great call!
Especially the latter, his left boot was exceptional against west coast.

a couple years ago slattery was one of our best small defenders now look at us hibbard heppell hardingham fletcher(well he can play on smalls :D)

our kicking has gotten alot better out of the backline i think alot of it is they just make the rite decisions they are in no hurry they can chip it around a bit find the rite option and if nothing comes up boot it down the line couple meters away from the boundary and we can do that and have confidence that our midfielders will get us the ball back

Don't think that we have too much to worry about.

All the stats are positive,bar goal-kicking.

Wouldn't think we are the best kicking team looking at the games, but feel we are definitely in the top 5.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back