Opinion Currently not enough good kicks in the backline

Remove this Banner Ad

What a load of s**t. If people try hard enough they can nitpick anything.

We have the best kick in the league in the backline - Fletcher.

Dempsey is a good kick, as is Hibberd. Hooker and Pears are competent for KPP types.

Collingwood won a flag with Toovey and O'brien in the backline who can't kick. Maxwell is an ok kick. Tarrant is not a great kick. Heath Shaw and Reid are the only two really good kicks in their backline.

St Kilda got to 2 Gf's with guys like Gilbert, Gram, Baker who turn it over more than most.

Josh Hunt is the only elite kick in the Geelong backline. The rest are good or competant.

I would suggest you contact Jimmy at Essendon and tell him he is wrong, because he is adamant that our kicking needs to improve. There were at least two articles, one in the Age and one on the AFL website where he said this.

C'mon, Mackie is not a great kick. He kicks so many floaters its not funny. Dempsey is a better kick.

Taylor is better than our kpp's (maybe). Fletcher, Ryder, Hurley(when back) > Geelongs big man kicking. Don't forget Ryder playing ruck and picking up a few possies down back. He's a great kick. Carlisle is a good kick also.

Enright is a good kick. Hibberd is tracking alright in comparison, a few more years and he might be the same hopefully.

Hardingham is our only genuine worry and you have to take his athletic ability into context and live with the fact that he will cough it up every now and then but make up for it with a mark or spoil.

Our second tier in McVeigh (last year)), Dyson are pretty good kicks.

Kelvin, Taylor is an elite user of the ball by foot. Suggesting that he "maybe" is a better kick than our KPD's tells me that you overrate the skill level of our defenders.

Our kicks across the board are not that great a kick, who are our grey or better kicks that hit targets say 70 + % of the time? Fletcher, Heppell, Ryder, Dempsey, who else? I would argue Davey is a great kick, just doesn't get nearly enough of it to warrant being a great player..

Couple of things

SJ's summary of the kicking skills is close to spot on - Dempsey is the interesting one - previously has been an ordinary kick - But has been on the mark so far this year.

Think we need another defender with good kicking skills.

Geelong's defenders are all decent kicks - Probably rate Taylor the lowest of all. On Mackie - Seriously he is one of the premier kicks of all defenders at spotting up forwards..

And Ant555 copped flack for his appraisal of our skill level in NAB Cup Round 1 - And some collateral damage came my way.;)

I would suggest you contact Jimmy at Essendon and tell him he is wrong, because he is adamant that our kicking needs to improve. There were at least two articles, one in the Age and one on the AFL website where he said this.

I'm pretty sure Hirdy was referring to our goal kicking and kicks going forward into the 50.

I think our kicking from the back half is ok. We miss 1 or 2 elite users going foward.

I think Watson, Stanton, Zaka, Howlett, Heppel + few more are all good enough kicks and comparable to any team.

I'm pretty sure Hirdy was referring to our goal kicking and kicks going forward into the 50.

I think our kicking from the back half is ok. We miss 1 or 2 elite users going foward.

I think Watson, Stanton, Zaka, Howlett, Heppel + few more are all good enough kicks and comparable to any team.

The guys you have highlighted are the guys delivering the ball into 50.

i think there is some improvement in our kicking (all over the ground) but our biggest issue is decision making and too many times we make the wrong one

watching geelong today they did two things 1- get the ball and 2 - make the right decisions. we can get the ball but we choose the wrong option to often. nlm and cram and hurls have all handballed to poor choicee when they could have an easy shot at goal. and we do the same down back, all of them bar fletch have brain fades and either try to run it out at all costs or we are guilty of just booting it out to nobody. both have value at the right time but we arent the best at picking the right time. fletch has always been good at this, but i would be interested to know what we did with jobe becuase his decision making and kicking has improved dramatically.

Yes he did. I suppose when I checked the title of this thread, I realise we are on the wrong track - it's our forwards who desperately need to improve their kicking. Although I must say there was one kick from Watson just outside the 50 which was lamentable - it was a decision thing rather than actual kick.

I know I am on the wrong thread here, but what the hell!!, we need some forwards who can kick straight.

A lot of this depends on whether Pears recaptures his old self. When he was at the top of his game you can mount a fair case to suggest that he is an elite user of the ball coming out of defence. He is certainly short of confidence at the moment but we can safely assume that he will get back to his old level.

I'm quite happy with Hibberd (although I haven't seen the Port match yet).

After 2 rounds, I actually think it's the other way around.

I think a lot of it's due to the coach's instructions, but coming out of defence we seem to have improved in finding short targets before releasing the ball. It's a work in progress, but I've been impressed.

Conversely I've been cringing when we get forward of centre. Our kicking goes to s**t, and we either kick to 2-on-1s (opposition's way), miss the target, or just generally bomb it in.

A lot of it, IMO, is because our forward line's way too crammed, but it's where we're getting killed, because we then turn it over and the opposition run the field with ease.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My memory is fine. I just went and read through that thread and I was right. You got one giving you crap, a few respectfully disagreeing, some not disagreeing but reserving judgement, quite a few agreeing but not getting worried yet, some worried and some defending you. You hardly got a lot of " ka ka" for the opinion itself, but it must have gotten to you because you feel the need to point out that you are somehow vindicated now. You have a great football knowledge Ant, but you've made as many bad calls as the rest of us. We all love what you bring to the board but please leave the point-scoring out of it. You'll be respected regardless.

By the way pls let me know what u think of my bro playing for the chargers and give heaps of reps kthnxbye :eek:

There where 2 threads and i am not lying about it or trying to point score out of it and i do not given a flying $$%$ about respect from people i am never likely to meet anyway. Plenty lined up to have a shot and i was right about the skill level being an issue.

And for the bloody 1000th time i have always admitted when i was wrong and never said i was always right !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am done with taking crap from bloody forum police, my ignore list has grown to the longest it has ever been.

Our kicking out of the backline is ok. Thanks to fletch and dempsey this year. Our kicks inside 50 have been terrible so far, but at least we are getting it in there alot. Seems to be coming out a lot easier than last year though.

Our forwards arn't leading intelligently

Also Davey's forward pressure is missed, and Winders pace up forward as well

Will be interesting to see who we bring in this week

There where 2 threads and i am not lying about it or trying to point score out of it and i do not given a flying $$%$ about respect from people i am never likely to meet anyway. Plenty lined up to have a shot and i was right about the skill level being an issue.

And for the bloody 1000th time i have always admitted when i was wrong and never said i was always right !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am done with taking crap from bloody forum police, my ignore list has grown to the longest it has ever been.

Again, what does the skill level of the team we sent out that day have to do with how Watson, Stanton, Hocking, Hurley etc. perform? Mark Baguley's kicking is hardly relevant to a discussion about Essendon's skills.

I dunno even why it matters that much. Geelong is hardly the most elite of teams with their footskills. They're just coached to make the right choices with the tools they have.

It's why Reimers hasn't been in the side yet this year, despite his skills...

Plenty lined up to have a shot and i was right about the skill level being an issue.

Everybody already knew this and has known it for years. I think it was more to do with you coming out with it after a meaningless practice game like it was some sort of revelation.

I don't think you will find too many people who don't think our skill level is an issue. Not today, not after that NAB game, not in 2010....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back