Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 7, 2009
On the Buses
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars

Apparently, the Cats have offered, and learning under Chris Scott is a real drawcard for her.

This would be a very good move for Daisy and an excellent move for Geelong if it eventuates.
Interesting. Why would it be good? Nothing against Daisy, its just that have never thought of her as a coach. I thought she was all set for a media career. What do you think she'll be able to bring to the club?

Interesting. Why would it be good? Nothing against Daisy, its just that have never thought of her as a coach. I thought she was all set for a media career. What do you think she'll be able to bring to the club?
Her insight into what's unfolding on the field is sharp and her ability to deal with media in a no nonsense way is excellent.

She is smarter than any of Richo, Brian Taylor, Brayshaw, Hamish McLachlan and Luke Darcy. Luke Hodge and Cam Ling are the smart, insightful ones and Daisy is not a long way behind them.

The three in bold would all be much better if they were allowed to actually be themselves instead of trying to be personalities. Taylor was on the Front Bar a few years back and seriously it was a different person.

I've just had a quick look. She played 38 games, and is currently doing Level 3 coaching accreditation.

I'll ask because I bet many are afraid to - why is she more qualified than a candidate who has played 200+ games and has decades of experience?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've just had a quick look. She played 38 games, and is currently doing Level 3 coaching accreditation.

I'll ask because I bet many are afraid to - why is she more qualified than a candidate who has played 200+ games and has decades of experience?

Ask Brendon Bolton or Wayne Brittain. Daisy also played a mountain of state league before the AFLW came about.

Rahilly has done alright for a footballer never deemed good enough to be picked in a senior final for the Cats.

And playing at an almost amateur level as well. Just looks like a woke appointment to me. What could she possibly offer over a more experienced ex-player other than a potentially cheaper pay cheque?

Now i'll wait for the usual mod to delete this post because independent thoughts aren't allowed. As usual.

It shouldn't be, and is ridiculous.

Merit first, merit only. If it's the best person for the job, no problem. Otherwise, don't care.
What would you base "merit" on? Number of AFL games played? If that's the case no woman ever coaches and a few blokes shouldn't have made it to senior coach either. When a guy applies to be an assistant coach what "merit" ranking do we care about other than their ability to coach? In this case if she has the makings of a good coach then we should be getting her onboard. The AFL has created a program to get women into coaching roles in the AFL, she won't be taking anyone's job or denying a guy a role. Great move by the club.

Ask Brendon Bolton or Wayne Brittain. Daisy also played a mountain of state league before the AFLW came about.

Rahilly has done alright for a footballer never deemed good enough to be picked in a senior final for the Cats.

He played 90 games, so that's more than twice the playing experience. He also had experience as an assistant in the VFL too. So he wasn't put straight in at senior level. So he has done alright, but he took longer to get there too.

It's a bit hard for any AFLW player to compete on games played with an AFL player, even when they've been in the system for the same length of time, based on nothing else other than available games played per season - we're yet to have an AFLW player reach 50 career games due to their shorter season, yet an AFL player can reach that number in their first 2 seasons based on available games

As for Daisy's career prior to AFLW, it makes for a fair resume
VWFL/VFLW

And not sure 200+ games suddenly makes someone a better candidate - one of the highest regarded development coaches & someone that numerous Geelong fans have said they'd like back at the club is Brendan McCartney. He never played at AFL level, and his playing days were spent with Newtown & Chilwell Football Club in the GFL - yet clubs were willing to look past that and give him a shot in the coaches box

And playing at an almost amateur level as well. Just looks like a woke appointment to me. What could she possibly offer over a more experienced ex-player other than a potentially cheaper pay cheque?

Now i'll wait for the usual mod to delete this post because independent thoughts aren't allowed. As usual.

Keep the posting on topic and it won't be deleted - but you already know that

Venture off topic into aspects that aren't relevant and that's when posts may be edited - but you already know that also

He played 90 games, so that's more than twice the playing experience. He also had experience as an assistant in the VFL too. So he wasn't put straight in at senior level. So he has done alright, but he took longer to get there too.

Merit is not just volume of experience, but also its quality imo.

I agree in some respects with Down at K Park - I cant stand 'woke' culture, and I support independent thought. As long as independent thought is open minded. And here is my two bobs worth. We need to find an extra 5-10% to bridge the gap with the best sides. If Daisey helps with that, given we do need to change what we have been doing, then I back the club to be doing this for those reasons. The thing I fully support, is actually Daisy's 7 years as a midwife in a birthing suite - I cannot think of a tougher or better job to develop your communication skills. Real. Tough. Human communication skills. I would punt that she will walk in and already be the best communicator of tough, hard messages amongst the coaches. Maybe that will speed up our players development? I am not buying all this playing experience/low pay whatever usual stuff women have to deal with, I am trying to see what she will bring and I think that there is something there that could lift our overall coaching performance. It is such a shame really that no matter how well or poorly she does, it will mostly be judged through the lens of ''she's a woman''. I am sure she knows that, but I reckon she is tough enough to do it anyway. Anyway, if it happens, I will blame her and praise her just like any other coach, because once she starts, it is wins that will be the main thing Daisy.

I agree in some respects with Down at K Park - I cant stand 'woke' culture, and I support independent thought. As long as independent thought is open minded. And here is my two bobs worth. We need to find an extra 5-10% to bridge the gap with the best sides. If Daisey helps with that, given we do need to change what we have been doing, then I back the club to be doing this for those reasons. The thing I fully support, is actually Daisy's 7 years as a midwife in a birthing suite - I cannot think of a tougher or better job to develop your communication skills. Real. Tough. Human communication skills. I would punt that she will walk in and already be the best communicator of tough, hard messages amongst the coaches. Maybe that will speed up our players development? I am not buying all this playing experience/low pay whatever usual stuff women have to deal with, I am trying to see what she will bring and I think that there is something there that could lift our overall coaching performance. It is such a shame really that no matter how well or poorly she does, it will mostly be judged through the lens of ''she's a woman''. I am sure she knows that, but I reckon she is tough enough to do it anyway. Anyway, if it happens, I will blame her and praise her just like any other coach, because once she starts, it is wins that will be the main thing Daisy.

It's not a complete shame, my bet is she wouldn't have the job if she wasn't a woman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back