News Damien Hardwick urges AFL to name restart date as he sounds warning over potential cuts to lists

Remove this Banner Ad

Because revenue has been slaughter as well as wages is this a time for AFLPA to organise a season with the clubs bypassing AFL HQ that involves more revenue and more games to save jobs and wage cuts including soft cap?? After all AFL HQ are cutting soft cap and players wages and lists at their discretion to the detriment of clubs and players

Could players and clubs work out a fixture and AFLHQ sign off on it otherwise they all go belly up and the people with the most currency with fans are clubs and players. Eg. Richmond and Collingwood could still play matches and sell product to fans

I've just ignored everything AFL over the past month. The audacity of a billion dollar industry to cry poor, sack seventy percent of its workforce but still provide all their exec's (bar Gill) their $1M paychecks in full? Thats a significant story a sycophant AFL media deliberately ignore.

The AFL has let the cat out of the bag proposing these hubs (so it turns out they lots of money if it suits them). We wouldn't even be talking about hubs if they weren't dead scared of the NRL. I found it hilarious Eddie on footy classified last night had to remind Gillon that these hubs are too expensive apparently.

AflPA, would sue for breach of contract/s(?)

It'd have to be negotiated. Cause otherwise all uncontracted players get dumped. Is Fyfe out of contract?

I'm being told I'll likely have to take leave. So I can sit at home and do what?

This whole thing sucks. The AFL has a rock and a hard place. Just that the wrong decision might trash the place for years.

I've just ignored everything AFL over the past month. The audacity of a billion dollar industry to cry poor, sack seventy percent of its workforce but still provide all their exec's (bar Gill) their $1M paychecks in full? Thats a significant story a sycophant AFL media deliberately ignore.

The AFL has let the cat out of the bag proposing these hubs (so it turns out they lots of money if it suits them). We wouldn't even be talking about hubs if they weren't dead scared of the NRL. I found it hilarious Eddie on footy classified last night had to remind Gillon that these hubs are too expensive apparently.

If the states allow teams to travel then all good. if not then hub/s is the only solution. The G is the obvious choice. :cool:

People talk about fall out and people not seen in a good light over the recent journey but the biggest clear problem recently in my mind is AFL HQ itself.

Its like AFL Hq cannot run a chook raffle. There appears to be strucutral problems and each club does not have enough say in things let along fans.

For example the season going back to 17 rounds and discussing pay cuts with players, was the clubs involved in this at all??

To me it looks like AFL HQ and other intermediaries have usurped the clubs and players and an EPL model seems more effective in terms of empowerment to clubs and players!!

Far from organisation it appears the AFL community is imploding despite the fact the players and clubs have no real issue with each other. AFL HQ appear good at doing nothing and when asked to organise they are stucturally dysfunctional!!!

Everything which should be one of action and information appears frozen and gridlocked!!

Last edited:
Three Hubs is actually the best choice.

Perth, Brisbane and Melbourne... 6 teams per hub

Melbourne get 6 Victorian clubs. Perth gets 2 WA and then?. Brisbane gets 2 Qld teams + ?

Reckon everyone in the same place is better. No travel, easy to manage. And Melbourne has the infrastructure to manange all 18 teams.

Melbourne get 6 Victorian clubs. Perth gets 2 WA and then?. Brisbane gets 2 Qld teams + ?

Reckon everyone in the same place is better. No travel, easy to manage. And Melbourne has the infrastructure to manange all 18 teams.
Given 8 -10 teams will have to travel to their Hub, stay and then travel home at the end, travel isn't the real issue.

Lets say, the WA, and SA teams along with 2 Vic teams Hub in WA
The 2 QLD teams and NSW teams along with 2 Vic teams Hub in Qld
And 6 Vic teams hub in Melb...
That's 8 teams travelling to their designated hub.

All teams travel to Vic, thats still 8 Teams travelling to get to the Hub.

So if we rule out travel as a factor, given its really a break even at competition level, then what are the pro's and cons of 1 hub vs multiple.
The only challenge is who travels, and given the WA and QLD teams travel more than anyone, I am happy for this to work in their favour TBH.

1 Hub
All resources in one place - positive
Infrastructure - positive
If someone is diagnosed, whole comp goes down - negative
Once location means only 2 grounds and one timezone - negative

3 Hubs
Shared resources - negative (but not a massive one IMO as most clubs and broadcasters will manage their own anyway)
Infrastructure - Positive (all 3 capital cities could easily accommodate 6 teams)
If someone is diagnosed only that Hub goes down, other two remain - Positive
3 locations means means 4 (or 5) grounds, two timezone's - positive (allows for more scheduling and flexibility)

Feedback over the last couple of days is we may not need hubs anyway, and I would prefer that, but one central location hub idea has more risks than advantages compared to a 3 hub model IMO

Given 8 -10 teams will have to travel to their Hub, stay and then travel home at the end, travel isn't the real issue.

So if we rule out travel as a factor, given its really a break even at competition level, then what are the pro's and cons of 1 hub vs multiple.
The only challenge is who travels, and given the WA and QLD teams travel more than anyone, I am happy for this to work in their favour TBH.

1 Hub

3 Hubs
Shared resources - negative (but not a massive one IMO as most clubs and broadcasters will manage their own anyway)
Infrastructure - Positive (all 3 capital cities could easily accommodate 6 teams)
3 locations means means 4 (or 5) grounds, two timezone's - positive (allows for more scheduling and flexibility)

Feedback over the last couple of days is we may not need hubs anyway, and I would prefer that, but one central location hub idea has more risks than advantages compared to a 3 hub model IMO

given the govt is allowing the warriors to fly in, then they shouldn’t be stopping Aussies from travelling within Australia, I don’t understand why this allowed.

but hey footballers are special.

1 Hub

3 Hubs

Well thought through.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

well I haven't got much else to do when eating my lunch these days lol

My work seems to have accelerated since working from home. I'm working 9-10 hours a day and just trying to get on top of it. Every time I do, someone comes up with a good idea that I have to do. Means i'll keep my job, but it interferes with my life.

No hubs best, if it had to be hubs I think for percentage considerations it has to be one hub. One or more clubs could miss finals or a top-4 slot simply because they played in the wettest hub, doesn't seem fair.

From a neutral perspective (obviously I'd like to see Richmond stay in a Victorian hub to maximise our chances) QLD might be the best option, three viable grounds and a bit of sun over winter to help turf - not to mention players - recover from the extra workload. No shortage of quality accommodation available, I'm sure there is a way for families to be included if they put their minds to it - that's got to be a big consideration in designing a response that is fair for all parties.

You could run an isolated three hubs within one state system using Cairns, Gold Coast, Brisbane, that would have some obvious advantages.

AFL footy cuts are coming into the conversation.

Benny Gale mention the potential impact recently.

I must say I really do not want massive cuts to our development. I would rather RFC had more on development than other clubs and performance is placed more in the players and experience they have.

I agree with Mark Robinson though that the AFL should be looking at finding funds even increasing revenue rather than cuts to lists and soft cap and clubs surely must agree with this!!

I want us to keep most of our players to if we can

It’s s**t that our advantage is gonna be pruned to 25 off field heads. I wonder if we might invest in artificial intelligence to do some of the analyst work ,,,players go in to post game review and a robot responds , stop running in *en circles and move it forward quickly. At Q2 5min Mark , you ****ed up and went against team rules , don’t do it again ,,,,,could be the answer

It’s s**t that our advantage is gonna be pruned to 25 off field heads. I wonder if we might invest in artificial intelligence to do some of the analyst work ,,,players go in to post game review and a robot responds , stop running in fu**en circles and move it forward quickly. At Q2 5min Mark , you f’ed up and went against team rules , don’t do it again ,,,,,could be the answer
Robot building supples

Remove this Banner Ad

Back