Opinion Dan Hannebery - he sold his house and we know!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

vonn

Bigfooty Legend
10k Posts Pokemon is Life Meet-Up Master Pantskyle Podcaster WCE Wings Guernsey Casey Tutungi Future Fund
Sep 29, 2008
AFL Club
Sydney
Hey all.

I'm not sure why but I've always felt that Dan Hannebery will return to Victoria at some stage of his career. I will admit that while this looks like a knee-jerk thread it's really not because I've believed he'll move back when his contract is up based on nothing but my gut. I absolutely love him and would be beyond stoked if he's staying. Does anyone else have much information if he's indicated whether or not he'd like to stay?

FWIW I saw this in the paper but I'm aware it could mean absolutely nothing:
http://m.dailytelegraph.com.au/real...-bondi-beach-pad/story-fni0cly6-1227309668020

He mentioned in some interview recently that he has no intention of leaving, didn't he?

SwansTV or external?

Been half an hour and no Sir Swans WTF is this?

He said a few years ago straight up he'd like to return and play in Victoria at some point in his career (which I actually found refreshingly honest), but that was in 2011 or so. It's been a few years since then and he's also said since then he wants to stay. If he left, it'd be a bummer, but I wouldn't begrudge him.

If a better offer comes up elsewhere then it's up to him to choose. Loyalty & 1 club player etc or Money, new challenge etc.

Just like Eski I'd hold no grudge toward him should a once in a lifetime type offer present itself. We may not be able to pay him the same but hopefully he likes it here, has a loyalty & passion to be here & become a 1 club player. A lifetime blood.

He said a few years ago straight up he'd like to return and play in Victoria at some point in his career (which I actually found refreshingly honest), but that was in 2011 or so. It's been a few years since then and he's also said since then he wants to stay. If he left, it'd be a bummer, but I wouldn't begrudge him.

Yeh this is my thinking too. I doubt a guy who is as intent on winning and as competitive as he is would want to leave in the middle of this side's peak period where winning flags is very much on the agenda. Wouldn't shock me to see him sign another contract with the club and leave after that one (when theoretically, this side could be on the decline and some of his closer mates are getting older). He'd be able to sign another big money contract at that point to return to Victoria too which must be a consideration.

But for the medium term, I can't see him going anywhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't we just convince Citi or QBE to give him some bullshit part-time athletes-finance job that forces him to stay in Sydney? Make him a client relationship manager or something.

Also think he will leave. If he doesnt, one of or both of mitchell and reid need to. A few players will be seeking pay rises and we cant afford to be paying overs to a guy who doesnt deserve to be in the team and to a guy who simply cannot find a spot for one reason or another

This is the interview he did last week where he said he had no plans to leave (from 4:02 onwards):

Personally I think as long as he is happy in Sydney (and he has just said himself that he is) we should be doing our best to keep him, he's our most important midfielder behind Kennedy and a barometer of our side.

There seems to be this perception that since we signed Buddy and Tippett, it'll only be a matter of time before we start letting players go, when in reality it's far from inevitable. If we're smart with managing our cap we should still have plenty of room to keep players like Hanners. If Mills and Dunkley turn out to be as good as they are saying, maybe then we can afford to let go of a quality player or two, but IMHO we don't have that luxury yet. Until the future of the academies is assured, give 'em nothing I say. Once the Victorian clubs manage to lure one of our quality players down south, they'll come back for more. It's happened to us before and it's happened to the Lions and it will happen again if we let it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back