Danger and premierships

Maybe he and supporters might realise the correct relationship is that players are part of a team, and if they are fortunate enough, the team wins premierships. That means sometimes that individuals have to sacrifice their roles to assist in the greater good.

For comparison, have a look at 21-year-old Jack Graham at Richmond. Nowhere near Dangerfield in ability (he's still developing of course), but he already has a better grasp of what a true team ethos entails. Busted his shoulder in the first quarter, then played out the game to fill a role for his team. He'll probably miss the Grand final. But he helped them get there.
I’m not suggesting that PFD does not have the me me me moments but to suggest Graham going back there injured to play is something team oriented that PFD would not do - or as example to illustrate the difference is inaccurate. The day Roughy got him v Hawks when he clearly was hurt comes to mind. Same thing. Is hurt.. goes off and comes back on. PFD kicked 5 after that. Team things to help the team win a which they did.
Granted, regular season vs a prelim final but the point you are illustrating in not a good one.

Go Catters

I’m not suggesting that PFD does not have the me me me moments but to suggest Graham going back there injured to play is something team oriented that PFD would not do - or as example to illustrate the difference is inaccurate. The day Roughy got him v Hawks when he clearly was hurt comes to mind. Same thing. Is hurt.. goes off and comes back on. PFD kicked 5 after that. Team things to help the team win a which they did.
Granted, regular season vs a prelim final but the point you are illustrating in not a good one.

Go Catters

That's true regarding the Hawthorn game. But then the press conference the following week was one of the most cringeworthy things I've ever seen, and was absolutely all about him. I do get the impression he wants to do everything to win - as long as he's the one doing the winning. I don't get a sense of team first about him, and to be fair not just Dangerfield. We had a group of individuals, or even clumps of individuals. Problem was we met a totally committed team.

dont confuse 'hunger' with 'not good enough' or not quite lucky enough... the WC eagles of 2018 seem, in hindsight, hungry and determined. they were a collingwood blinder away from a GF spanking - richmond likely would have crushed them. instead, richmond have a terrible PF, and theyre suddenly the team of the comp.

this group - like every playing group - wants nothing more than to win a flag. they likely wont, but most dont.

fall short, its easy to say 'they didnt want it enough'.

but the vast majority of players that play the game fall short, and they all want it plenty. robbie flower - well before my time - but some say one of the best players to play the game. ridiculous to say that the fact he fell short means he was happy to fall short, or not fussed if he did.

think how badly you would like to see geelong win the flag this year. times it by 10. youre still a way off how badly the players would like to. but, as said already, like most - they likely wont.
We crushed richmond that year.....

We crushed richmond that year.....

you also crushed hawthorn in the 2015 QF, adelaide crushed richmond in rd 9 or so 2017, and we crushed richmond earlier this year... they were and are a better team than both west coast 2018 and geelong 2019.

you also crushed hawthorn in the 2015 QF, adelaide crushed richmond in rd 9 or so 2017, and we crushed richmond earlier this year... they were and are a better team than both west coast 2018 and geelong 2019.
In 2018 we were undefeated in melbourne and the mcg

In the only game we met them in that year we crushed them. Unequivocally.

You can bring up as many outliers as you want but in reality you can only go on what happened.

We beat collingwood 3 times that year - twice on the mcg - they also beat richmond.

1 kick after half time.
I also noticed he went off the ground in the 3rd when Richmond had the momentum. Then when he came back on he went forward. Same as the last quarter. 10 points in it with under 10 mins remaining and he was up forward.
Very odd.
I just had a look at the third quarter. Danger started at about every second centre bounce. But straightaway he was up forward.

But virtually no throws-ins or ball-ups. Right up to the last 3 minutes. At one stage half way through the third, Danger chased down Dusty Martin and got him HTB. Physically, it looked like there was nothing wrong with Dangerfield - on the very few occasions he was near the ball. No holding his ribs or anything, and he ran very freely. Most of the time in the third he was where the ball ain't, as Jack Dyer would say. I'm looking at a video, so someone who was at the ground can say more. I think he was down forward.

If he was being rested for the last quarter, would have to be a majorly dumb move. Richmond weren't resting anyone, I can tell you that. And Danger looked good on the very few times he was near the ball.

Selwood was great in the third. Guthrie and a few others struggled a bit as mids. The ball just didn't bounce right for them, and they weren't good enough to turn dumb luck around. Definitely missed Dangerfield's bustling aggression at the stoppages. Huge.

I've changed my mind. Selwood was BOG. Huge impact on the game at critical points. I had Kelly. Kelly is No.2 now.

Last edited:
That's true regarding the Hawthorn game. But then the press conference the following week was one of the most cringeworthy things I've ever seen, and was absolutely all about him. I do get the impression he wants to do everything to win - as long as he's the one doing the winning. I don't get a sense of team first about him, and to be fair not just Dangerfield. We had a group of individuals, or even clumps of individuals. Problem was we met a totally committed team.

Good lord, you're *still* going on about that press conference. Who cares ffs.

Last edited:
He ain’t winning one.
Let's swap him for Cameron at GWS after they upset Tigers this week. There is a chance there.
No seriously, many great players have missed, he just adds to that list.

You think you learn all about the players by their pressers? Come on, you of all supporters are not naive. He is a pure performer. He is the biggest reason every year since he's been there that we are even in finals. Pity he can't be involved in going the next step at Geelong, but losing his accomplice in Kelly will hurt big time.

Premierships aernt the be all and end all when rating players

Id have Bernie Quinlan right up near the top re the best players ive seen - yet hes not a premiership player

The simple fact with Dangerfield - is if he hadnt have come to Geelong when he did - then the Cats would have finished 4-5 spots lower - every year that he has played for Geelong

Last year they finished 8th - without Danger they would have finished 12th to 13th

In Dangerfields 1st year - him and Selwood combined were fantastic - what a duo ( Joel finally had someone to help him ) i can remember Allan Richardson saying ( when the Saints actually beat us ) - 1st thing he said in the presser - Selwood and Dangerfield have been in outstanding form - and he meant it .
100% yes.

Adelaide supporters had the same kind of criticisms of Danger before he came to us. I have no problem with Paddy's personality and perceived selfishness, champion players always have a bit of ego about them. A bit of head wobble, as Spud would say. You get the good with the bad with Paddy, and his good is the best out there. I'll take him just the way he is.

In 2018 we were undefeated in melbourne and the mcg

In the only game we met them in that year we crushed them. Unequivocally.

You can bring up as many outliers as you want but in reality you can only go on what happened.

We beat collingwood 3 times that year - twice on the mcg - they also beat richmond.

all good, man - WC were worthy premiers last year. those examples are not really 'outliers', more just stating the obvious that past results do not dictate future results.

we'll never know, but despite the result in perth in round 9, i think richmond were a better team than WC last season. of course, who the best team was subjectively matters far less than who actually won it objectively, and that was without any doubt WC.

I just had a look at the third quarter. Danger started at about every second centre bounce. But straightaway he was up forward.

But virtually no throws-ins or ball-ups. Right up to the last 3 minutes. At one stage half way through the third, Danger chased down Dusty Martin and got him HTB. Physically, it looked like there was nothing wrong with Dangerfield - on the very few occasions he was near the ball. No holding his ribs or anything, and he ran very freely. Most of the time in the third he was where the ball ain't, as Jack Dyer would say. I'm looking at a video, so someone who was at the ground can say more. I think he was down forward.

If he was being rested for the last quarter, would have to be a majorly dumb move. Richmond weren't resting anyone, I can tell you that. And Danger looked good on the very few times he was near the ball.

Selwood was great in the third. Guthrie and a few others struggled a bit as mids. The ball just didn't bounce right for them, and they weren't good enough to turn dumb luck around. Definitely missed Dangerfield's bustling aggression at the stoppages. Huge.

I've changed my mind. Selwood was BOG. Huge impact on the game at critical points. I had Kelly. Kelly is No.2 now.

You make some very good points their Reg

You look at Dangerfields 2nd half stats - and you think what in the hell happened - then you watch the replay - and its not just Danger - its Guthrie as well - try as they might - they just wernt where the ball was - maybe you have to give a bit of credit to Soldos tap work in the 3rd qtr - because it just didnt go anywhere near Geel midfielders

Also in the 3rd qtr - Rich got that 1st goal straight away - and it was a brilliant goal - unstoppable goal . Hindsight is great - but if the Cats had got the 1st goal - and they needed to keep kicking goals - the way Rich were playing

You look at Dangerfields 2nd half stats - and you think what in the hell happened - then you watch the replay - and its not just Danger - its Guthrie as well - try as they might - they just wernt where the ball was - maybe you have to give a bit of credit to Soldos tap work in the 3rd qtr - because it just didnt go anywhere near Geel midfielders

Also in the 3rd qtr - Rich got that 1st goal straight away - and it was a brilliant goal - unstoppable goal . Hindsight is great - but if the Cats had got the 1st goal - and they needed to keep kicking goals - the way Rich were playing
Guthrie was near around a lot of the play, at stoppages. The ball just didn't go his way. Selwood, it doesn't seem to matter. He just appears where the ball is at. Thats why he is Selwood. lol

But for most of the third, Danger was litterally nowhere to be seen at stoppages all over the ground and I'm assuming he was on the bench or down in the forward line. He did appear at the centre bounces a few times. I got no idea what happened with him in the game plan. The third is called the premiership quarter for a reason and it turned out that way.

That first Lynch goal in the third should have been a call to man all stations!

Another thing:

We went into our shell from the start of that quarter. No more kicking it inside and changing up that worked so well in the first half. It was 90% around the boundary line no matter what, and back to slow moving. Bews early on kicked it with so much purpose around the boundary, I was sure there was instruction in that kick. Not as bad as it was against Collingwood, but bad, and nothing like our first half. And they all did it so I'm guessing it was under instruction. Toward the end of the quarter, we started looking inside, and thats when Selwood got of that ripper kick to Henderson for a goal. Too little too late, though.

Last edited:
We went into our shell from the start of that quarter. No more kicking it inside and changing up that worked so well in the first half. It was 90% around the boundary line no matter what, and back to slow moving. Bews early on kicked it with so much purpose around the boundary, I was sure there was instruction in that kick. Not as bad as it was against Collingwood, but bad, and nothing like our first half. And they all did it so I'm guessing it was under instruction. Toward the end of the quarter, we started looking inside, and thats when Selwood got of that ripper kick to Henderson for a goal. Too little too late, though.

I think that was straightforward. Richmond just dialled the pressure way up and we couldn’t cope with it.

I think that was straightforward. Richmond just dialled the pressure way up and we couldn’t cope with it.
They were more gungo-ho, risk/reward. The physical pressure never let up from the start. We replied by moving it more. We just stopped doing that. There seemed to be real purpose in going the boundary line. They never even entertained the idea of looking in. Like I said, there was purpose with our players keeping it around there. I didn't see any extra pressure on the ball from them, just less from us.

Yeah good point, 82 goal assists from 95 games at Geelong is a pitiful record, he ought to ashamed of himself, the selfish SOB.

What does his goal assists have to do with his long kicking ability?

Good on him of he does move the ball on but that takes nothing away from - at times - terrible decisions at either
a) Lining up for goal where he is at best an average set shot kicker
b) Bombing the ball as far as he can to either not a team mate, or a team mate who's under immense pressure.

PD is an absolute weapon, no doubts about it. But like the best of the best, there are always a few flaws.

I don’t think that was an unstoppable goal. Stanley could have been a bit stronger with the ball. Get the hands up and give the handball to Menegola immediately, or get it on the boot and just scrub it out of there as the 2nd tackle was coming in.

It was certainly an unstoppable kick to Lynch.

Back