Dark Side of the Ring/Tales from the Territories (On SBS)

Remove this Banner Ad

Considering Flair was elsewhere in the earlier stages and doing the same type of conduct you can hardly blame a specific company.

it was probably wide spread across the territories. It’s highly likely that local promoters would sweep things under the carpet.

How ever one specific company did Aquire all of its competition. The only time that company has made changes, is when it has been forced to. Change number one was with the steroid trials, the 2nd was after The Crispen tragedy. Change number 3 could be Andrew Yangs push into their labor practises with the wrestlers being labeled ”Independent Contractors”.

so the reason people are pointing to one specific company, is 1. It is the last company of that era that is left. 2. Quite possibly the tall poppy syndrome. Lastly, the culture only changes when it has to, rather than wanting to.

It really shouldn’t be surprising. All the bra and panties matches and other types. The cringe worthy stories. The instant sexualisation of both Sable and Sunny. The Sunny Days promo by HBK. Jerry Lawler s

It was there, in front of us, For the most part it was just ignored by the fans, just classing it as entertainment.

It just wasn’t in wrestling either. You had the infamous upskirt shot of Sharon Stone in Basic Instinct is a classic example of the times back then. Even the old music video clips back in the day.

fortunately for most of us, we have a better understanding to what is more acceptable now. In the next 20 years we will be saying things about what is common now as to how primitive it is. Time changes constantly.
There was also that scene in True Lies that was very popular.

I‘m guessing the Jamie Lee Curtis scene, in the hotel room.
Yes that scene.
I would like to see an episode on Stone Cold Steve Austin's walkout and assault on Debra. JR might be a little uncomfortable talking about that (he was the only WWF employee that attended their wedding).

Yes that scene.
I would like to see an episode on Stone Cold Steve Austin's walkout and assault on Debra. JR might be a little uncomfortable talking about that (he was the only WWF employee that attended their wedding).

That would be an interesting one.

Considering Flair was elsewhere in the earlier stages and doing the same type of conduct you can hardly blame a specific company.

Like I said, earlier in his career Flair was contained to territories where there were many women more than willing to live the gimmick with Flair.

It's very different when he's a drunk middleaged man on an international flight telling air hostesses who have never heard of Ric Flair to touch his dick.

Even if he was doing it elsewhere, it doesn't absolve any company for letting it slide.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just on the Flight from Hell, I've either read or heard from old grapplers that when wrestlers in Australia flew between cities for Jim Barnett in the 60s and 70s, they were expected to wear a suit and tie and be on their best behaviour. Not justifying anyone's actions at all here but some of this has to surely stick on Vince.

Edit - and here it is

Last edited:
Just on the Flight from Hell, I've either read or heard from old grapplers that when wrestlers in Australia flew between cities for Jim Barnett in the 60s and 70s, they were expected to wear a suit and tie and be on their best behaviour. Not justifying anyone's actions at all year but some of this has to surely stick on Vince.

Edit - and here it is

Cornette was saying that in the 80s the wrestlers didn't have the profile or the money to live like The Rolling Stones. A plane ride was definitely considered a luxury and not something to * with. He said it was the 90s with television network contracts when this s**t started to get out of control.

Cornette was saying that in the 80s the wrestlers didn't have the profile or the money to live like The Rolling Stones. A plane ride was definitely considered a luxury and not something to fu** with. He said it was the 90s with television network contracts when this sh*t started to get out of control.

Yea I was worried JC might try to make some excuse for it but was interested he was quite the opposite and am glad it wasn't necessarily a cultural thing since the old days like some have tried to make out but instead a toxic culture from a painful bunch of brats in the WWF at the time seeking an excuse to behave like a bunch of pathetic criminals.

Cornette was saying that in the 80s the wrestlers didn't have the profile or the money to live like The Rolling Stones. A plane ride was definitely considered a luxury and not something to fu** with. He said it was the 90s with television network contracts when this sh*t started to get out of control.

yes, probably more driving from town to town (except for the top stars or if you had a gimmick like the Million Dollar Man).

In all seriousness that Kanyon episode was really good. Loved hearing Father James in it and Kanyon's story was an especially sad one.

Am also utterly convinced the s**t with Kanyon coming out of the closet on Smackdown was deliberate to bury him. And Undertaker going to town on him with the steel chair was just pathetic. Probably someone in wrestling that actually deserves to be cancelled.

A great story to tell. But the story is only half told if you don't bring up the influence 9/11 had on him and his rejection from his family after coming out to them.

They could've read excerpts from his book or something.

Not sure why the second Young Buck was there lol, only one seemed to be telling the stories.

The timeline was just a bit all over the place for this one, but a really heartfelt story that I'm so glad they told.

In all seriousness that Kanyon episode was really good. Loved hearing Father James in it and Kanyon's story was an especially sad one.

Am also utterly convinced the sh*t with Kanyon coming out of the closet on Smackdown was deliberate to bury him. And Undertaker going to town on him with the steel chair was just pathetic. Probably someone in wrestling that actually deserves to be cancelled.

Of all people too, I can't imagine that the locker room leader would be overly thrilled about sharing the locker room with a gay person. It sounds like he and JBL created such a toxic place to work in that eary-mid 2000's era.

It's so easy to not be a jerk when talking about someone who's been let go. How hard is it for Cena or Flair to say "of course he's good, he made it to WWE, but WWE is the top 0.001% of wrestlers in the world and once there he was given some opportunities and he didn't quite make it. Great person though, and still in the top 0.002% of wrestlers in the world.."

In reality, they might be right, but you don't have to be a dick to a guy who's been fired.

He's probably one of dozens of wrestlers (and announcers when you think how prominent Schiavone is on AEW) who was hurt by the loss of all those jobs when WCW and ECW when under.

I can empathise with a lot of Kanyon's struggles, and thus this was a really tough watch. It's sad that he was never able to get the help he needed. I do think it goes to further prove that the majority of us are resilient beyond our own imaginations. We deal with horrible crises and tragedy, never moreso than the last couple of years... and most of us still find a way to exist and survive, if not live. The tiny minority of those who don't have that resilience are the ones that we sadly lose.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back