News David Stevenson resigns, Gary Kent appointed new CEO

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably deserves a new thread given the club has released an official statement:

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2016-07-25/bulldogs-and-stevenson-part-ways

The Western Bulldogs confirm that David Stevenson has resigned from his position as CEO. The Board has accepted Stevenson's resignation.

Over the past year, the club has achieved significant growth in its operations including, but not limited to:
· Nearing 40,000 members this year, surpassing the record membership set in 2015,
· Setting new club benchmarks in revenue, sponsorship, membership, attendances and reserved seat sales.

The Club thanks Stevenson for his contribution towards the Club’s growth throughout his time as CEO, and in particular the extensive strategic planning process he has led, as well as championing the recent successful women’s licence submission.

Club President Peter Gordon said, “David comes from a credentialed multi-national corporate background and we have learned a lot from him in the past 12 months which will be of enduring value. He has achieved a lot and we thank him for his work.”

“We are ambitious as a Club, and have over the past four years made significant progress. We are determined to maximise the opportunities which this period in our history provides us.”
Stevenson stated, "I am proud of the accomplishments of the club under my leadership over the last year, I thank the tremendous support I have received from our fans and staff and I wish the club future success".

The Board has appointed Club finance director Gary Kent to the role of CEO.

Kent has been a Board member and Chair of the Board’s finance, audit and risk management committee for the past five years.

A lifetime Bulldogs supporter, Kent has held many senior management positions in public companies, including as CFO of Skilled Group, Healthscope and Coles Group.

Kent stated, “I am delighted to accept this role. I love the Club. I’ve lived most of my life in the Western Suburbs of Melbourne and have supported the Bulldogs all my life.”

“I’m confident the transition from Dave’s administration to mine will be seamless and I am thrilled to have received the support and good wishes across the business.”

The Board will also take the opportunity to regularise recent football directorship changes to the Board. Newly appointed executive director of football Chris Grant will step down from his board role and focus on his full-time management role, and Matt Croft, who has sat on Board meetings as an observer for the past 18 months, will be formally co-opted onto the Board as football (non-executive) director.

Mark Evans will take over from Gary Kent as finance director and Chair of the finance, audit and risk management committee.

Exclusive to westernbulldogs.com.au

Seems like Gary Kent is permanent, not interim, CEO, as the wording is just "the board is appointed". Was a member of the board and CFO of some large businesses.

Thoughts?

Again, just as we gather momentum something/someone drops off. Flags are based on stability and I'm a little worried that while Gordo has good intentions, he may be the one who actually prevents us from achieving our full potential.

Didn't even last 18 months. I guess not all risks pay off, just please ffs don't promote an internal candidate. We need to continue to get external people in, to give us fresh ideas.

Gordon on SEN:

I hate how Gordon avoids questions and just always points back to the positives all the time. It's frustrating. Also frustrating when all of us paid up members emotionally check in every year to this footy club and there is always some off the field drama rearing its ugly head every year.

The club is currently second on the ladder with a month to go. We don't need any added pressure because our board aren't mature enough to see eye to eye. Bevo must be pulling his hair out knowing he has to deal with this s**t for the rest of the week with a game on Friday. Not fair on him and the players at all.

Last edited:
I hate how Gordon avoids questions and just always points back to the positives all the time. It's frustrating. Also frustrating when all of us paid up members emotionally check in every year to this footy club and there is always some of off field drama rearing its ugly head every year.

The club is currently second on the ladder with a month to go. We don't need any added pressure because our board aren't mature enough to see eye to eye. Bevo must be pulling his hair out knowing he has to deal with this s**t for the rest of the week with a game on Friday.
Politics bro.

Holy crap, that piece Gary Kent did to camera for the website has to be a gee up doesn't it?? Seriously? How embarrassing.
They could have atleast held the script above the camera lense instead of to the left, which resulted in him
taking his eyes completely off the camera about 20 times. Was so embarrassing. Or saved themselves from embarrassment complelety and just do a written statement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The media and David Smorgon's years as a leader conditioned us to want to twist these events into an existential crisis. you get to make a choice though, don't just go down that path without slowing down your thinking and looking at what is happening right now. It isn't ideal, but I'm going to back in the processes the Board has in place to deal with this facet of running the Club. We are pretty conservative, seem to be meticulous in meeting our obligations and take very measured steps when dealing with change. Maybe a little bit more ruthless under PG's reign as President.

Disappointing to see someone who seemed to bring a good bit of knowledge to the club move on so swiftly, but like the team, we roll our sleeves up and go again.

Luke Darcy doing a good job defending the club. Cops a bit of s**t on here but he always backs the boys. That redhead journo on talking footy trying to call it a "disaster" lol.

Not sure how it's a disaster when the bloke was pushed out. It's not as if the guy resigned out of nowhere and has left the Bulldogs in the lurch, you appointed a CEO within 2 freaking days.

I hate how Gordon avoids questions and just always points back to the positives all the time. It's frustrating. Also frustrating when all of us paid up members emotionally check in every year to this footy club and there is always some off the field drama rearing its ugly head every year.

The club is currently second on the ladder with a month to go. We don't need any added pressure because our board aren't mature enough to see eye to eye. Bevo must be pulling his hair out knowing he has to deal with this s**t for the rest of the week with a game on Friday. Not fair on him and the players at all.
Yeah well said Tone!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back