Rumour Dayne Beams - will he or won't he retire?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that’s right, there would be a lot more cases if testing was expanded. Problem is that there is not enough protective equipment for health care workers.

Mates partner does the testing some shocking stories.

Had one lady who came back from overseas went into work got extremely sick and refused to get the test which meant all her work colleagues couldn't get the test, they all got really sick as well.

Mates partner does the testing some shocking stories.

Had one lady who came back from overseas went into work got extremely sick and refused to get the test which meant all her work colleagues couldn't get the test, they all got really sick as well.
Hopefully now people are more educated on the dangers. We’ve all got to do the right thing to avoid what is happening in other countries.

Hopefully now people are more educated on the dangers. We’ve all got to do the right thing to avoid what is happening in other countries.

Yep no excuses now everyone should have a good idea of how this virus works etc.

There is a balance to be struck: the medicos want a 100% lock-down, which may make sense strictly from a medical aspect.

But from a commercial/political aspect be aware of the old joke "the operation was a success but the patient died".

Past a certain point (and noting the fact that apart from a few outliers the mortality rate is less/no greater than that of the flu) a stage is reached where job losses/bankruptcies/overall economic costs/lack of personal freedoms will outweigh "safety".

How close are we to that point?
“Less/no greater than that of the flu” is not really accurate, and moreover this is while much of the world is in lockdown and social distancing. For the flu there is a vaccine, which can be taken by the elderly and the immunocompromised. SARS-Cov2 has a much higher R0 and so is much more infectious, with the potential for exponential growth if left unchecked.

Not if you have symptoms and are an essential worker, not only do you get straight in but you also only have to wait 24 hours for your results where as the rest of the public have to wait 48 hours
Not entirely sure on this. Within the last week we were told that in Victoria all reporting of COVID-19 testing went through a central database in Heidelberg, which caused additional delay to get results. In NSW the individual path labs were able to provide results, expediting the process considerably (by up to 24 hours).

“Less/no greater than that of the flu” is not really accurate, and moreover this is while much of the world is in lockdown and social distancing. For the flu there is a vaccine, which can be taken by the elderly and the immunocompromised. SARS-Cov2 has a much higher R0 and so is much more infectious, with the potential for exponential growth if left unchecked.

Not entirely sure on this. Within the last week we were told that in Victoria all reporting of COVID-19 testing went through a central database in Heidelberg, which caused additional delay to get results. In NSW the individual path labs were able to provide results, expediting the process considerably (by up to 24 hours).
I can only tell you what my experience was at Sunshine Hospital, they even had a box labelled, "Health care workers" where your test went into so that it comes back in 24 hours

I can only tell you what my experience was at Sunshine Hospital, they even had a box labelled, "Health care workers" where your test went into so that it comes back in 24 hours
Glad if that’s the case. This purported 15 minute test will be better still!

And then we need a test to determine not just who has antibodies (i.e. has been infected and recovered) but who is immune and cannot spread the disease.

Glad if that’s the case. This purported 15 minute test will be better still!

And then we need a test to determine not just who has antibodies (i.e. has been infected and recovered) but who is immune and cannot spread the disease.
I've also mentioned this earlier and that was that I was the only person getting tested at the time I was there, there was one other person in the waiting area as I left. This surprised me as I thought there would be a line of people

I haven’t read anything from the government on this.
Ed has been saying it ad-nauseam on MMM since before round 1. I’ll take his word for it since he’s in the position to actually know.

Yes, essentially you have to be recently returned from overseas, or had direct contract with a confirmed case to be tested.
No you don’t. My dad was tested today and is currently awaiting results, quarantined in hospital.

There is a balance to be struck: the medicos want a 100% lock-down, which may make sense strictly from a medical aspect.

But from a commercial/political aspect be aware of the old joke "the operation was a success but the patient died".

Past a certain point (and noting the fact that apart from a few outliers the mortality rate is less/no greater than that of the flu) a stage is reached where job losses/bankruptcies/overall economic costs/lack of personal freedoms will outweigh "safety".

How close are we to that point?
Yep. I think the old saying is correct.
"There is a point where the remedy is worse than the disease."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lying so that they could selfishly achieve their own peace of mind at the expense of those who are actually eligible for testing? Classy. No wonder the health system is so stretched atm.

I'd be asking questions of the government rather than questions of the sick. We got a fair bit of lead in time, we really shouldn't be in a position where we can't test widely.

No you don’t. My dad was tested today and is currently awaiting results, quarantined in hospital.

It varies from place to place think, I know our local hospital up till last week refused to test anyone who hadn't returned from overseas or had proven direct contact with a confirmed case.

The policy has changed due to our first positive case of community transference.

Last edited:
Yep. I think the old saying is correct.
"There is a point where the remedy is worse than the disease."

It's actually not. Undoing the social distancing and allowing the free roam of the virus would be catastrophic.

If they went herd immunity (which is also being discussed) route there would be over a million deaths. 69% of population needs to get it which is 16.5 million roughly. It would easy see 10% death rates of elderly, people with immune disorders, heart and lung issues as well as the plain unlucky. 1.6 million would send the country into recession anyway.

So to save off a recession (which one could argue would bring some balance back to this countries housing and land markets) we are willing to sacrifice a lot of people imagine how you would feel if that was some of your kids, parents grandparents, brother sister and then 6 to 12 months later the government goes oh and here's an immunisation shot too for it. All those deaths for nothing.

Last edited:
It's actually not. Undoing the social distancing and allowing the free roam of the virus would be catastrophic.

If they went herd immunity (which is also being discussed) route there would be over a million deaths. 69% of population needs to get it which is 16.5 million roughly. It would easy see 10% death rates of elderly, people with immune disorders, heart and lung issues as well as the plain unlucky. 1.6 million would send the country into recession anyway.

So to save off a recession (which one could argue would bring some balance back to this countries housing and land markets) we are willing to sacrifice a lot of people imagine how you would feel if that was some of your kids, parents grandparents, brother sister and then 6 to 12 months later the government goes oh and here's an immunisation shot to for it. All those deaths for nothing.

although I agree that we need to just be patient and bunker in for a few months and wear some short term pain, i'm not sure whether statistics like that are going to deal with the situation realistically. There aren't 16.5 million elderly people and/or with health problems in Australia, so the 1.6 million deaths is an overstatement. i dont want to see what is happening in new york happening in australia, and the death rate there is a lot less than 10%.

I would hope that everyone in that group is staying in their home until a cure is found....
People in that group would need to consult a GP though.

People in that group would need to consult a GP though.
I had a regular appointment with my GP this coming Thursday.
They rang and left a message saying it would be a phone consult! $75 for a 2 minute phone call?
I told them to cancel it and get my GP to issue me with my regular meds. The cow on reception didn’t like that. Said he’d have to do the consult before writing scripts. I told her that she wasn’t the doctor, but in this crisis she is the conduit between him and me. Told her to ask him for scripts.
30 minutes later scripts were ready for pickup.
Getting a face to face with a doctor is becoming near impossible now.

I had a regular appointment with my GP this coming Thursday.
They rang and left a message saying it would be a phone consult! $75 for a 2 minute phone call?
I told them to cancel it and get my GP to issue me with my regular meds. The cow on reception didn’t like that. Said he’d have to do the consult before writing scripts. I told her that she wasn’t the doctor, but in this crisis she is the conduit between him and me. Told her to ask him for scripts.
30 minutes later scripts were ready for pickup.
Getting a face to face with a doctor is becoming near impossible now.
True, the system is moving to Tele health

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back