Review Dees v Eagles and the Ghost of Murray Wrensted: the Good, Bad & Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope people haven’t come over here to gloat. Should just be enjoying the wins as they come given our last few years. Good game lads got a lot of respect for you great posters on here. Scythe94 Headless Proper Gander I hope we can still be friends!!❤️

Yeah I cbf with this one, just horrid, we were just genuinely outplayed all over.

The top 8 is really tight this season, and losses like that, can just cook you.

I know we're not a genuine contender, but still wouldn't mind going to a final (how lame is that).

Fugly: We should be a contender, campaigners.

I hope people haven’t come over here to gloat. Should just be enjoying the wins as they come given our last few years. Good game lads got a lot of respect for you great posters on here. Scythe94 Headless Proper Gander I hope we can still be friends!!❤️
Tbh I’d rather talk about the Eagles. Ginbey and Reid look awesome and Jake Waterman is heaps of fun to watch.

From 2021-23 we saw a consistency of effort and a solidity of structure from this team which made us hard to beat even when we were playing poorly, but that's come apart at the seams this year. We were consistently second to the ball today, failed to run to create options when we were attacking, and failed to shut down Eagles' players space in defence. We were ****ing smashed on scores from turnover differential. That's purely effort. This also meant that we couldn't get quick, dangerous ball to our forwards and that our defence didn't have time to set up as the Eagles just strolled the ball through the corridor time and time again. So our structure just totally broke down and both ends of the ground.

Ordinarily you mighy be able to make excuses, but this is already a pattern. We weren't helped by Lever going off and May playing the worst game of his life, but why not put Petty back? Every team has an "off" day, but good teams don't have 3 off days in 5 games. I'm not sure there's much we can do this year given that the reserves are pretty bare and the players who are down on form aren't suddenly going to rejuvenate. I think a big preseason and some decent recruiting in the offseason gives us one more crack in 2025, but I've lost any hope of us pulling something out of the hat this year. Just too many indicators pointing in the wrong direction.

Good:

• Pickett one of our few sparks. Petracca and Neal-Bullen decent in patches.
  • I know that Salem gets potted a lot on here, but I thought he was decent given the length of his layoff. His ball use isn't adventerous, but he was more solid and composed today than most of his mates.

Bad:

• Doesn't make sense to pot individual players after a game like that, but Brown can never play again, and I'm not sure what Billings offers to the team. We're paying him to deliver the ball inside 50, but he's not doing that and badly burnt Brown at the end of the third. I would have put the house on him missing that next set shot as well. Sparrow and Oliver just treading water, Bowey and Howes looked overawed in defence.
  • Lack of effort in attack and defence. Over-dependence on certain players (like Langdon and Lever) to our structure, which means things fall to pieces when they're not there. Overdependence on Gawn, Petracca and May to play out of their skin for us to win.

Ugly:

• The hagiographies that will be circulating about Waterman and Reid in the media all week now.
  • Literally everything else about this game.

Totally.

I honestly wouldn’t dream of gloating. Wouldn’t cross my mind.

Great win by your boys and the WC future looks exciting

Tbh I’d rather talk about the Eagles. Ginbey and Reid look awesome and Jake Waterman is heaps of fun to watch.
So stoked for Jake. Was really unwell last year with a stomach issue and was looking a chance to not play again. Great story for us for sure

So stoked for Jake. Was really unwell last year with a stomach issue and was looking a chance to not play again. Great story for us for sure
Waterman is a gun. I’m rustling up 4 indifferent players, no make that 5, and I’m going to take that idea to the trade thread for a win-win trade for both sides. Keep you all posted!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did we lost any games when we weren't called Narrm? Hmmm

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
When Luke Jackson didn’t re-sign it was because of Narrm.

When we doubled down on a playing style and squad that the game had gone past it was because of Narrm.

When we decided that players were automatic selections because of past glories it was because of Narrm.

When we decided we were only Luke Dunstan away from back to back it was because of Narrm.

When we went out in straight sets in 2022 it was because of Narrm.

When we recruited Brodie Grundy and set up in a way that reduced both his and Gawn’s strengths it was because of Narrm.

When Clayton Oliver decided he’d rather bend windscreen wipers and use Persian rugs than be a professional it was because of Narrm.

When Melksham did his knee, Petty his foot and Smith Colombian Marching Powder towards the end of 23 it was because of Narrm.

When we lost in straight sets in 23 it was because of Narrm.

Always Sunny Fx GIF

Funny hearing the same guys celebrating that ugly win vs Geelong a few weeks ago give up on the season now. Goody masterclass wasn't it? It's the same shit every week like I said back then and thats why I was refused to give him any credit. Can't beat teams who score 80 points. One trick ponies who have been exposed by quality teams for the past 2.5 years, now it seems even the bad/young sides are starting to work us out.

Last edited:
Begs belief we let Jordan go for spare change and kept Sparrow

Our list management has been nothing short of atrocious these past few off seasons
It really has been. List is about to fall off a cliff i reckon. Trac, Koz, McVee, Windsor, Lever, Riv, JVR(just) are about the only blokes I'm interested in watching moving forward. No idea wtf the plan is to replace May or Gawn? Or even how to fix our forward half problems. List all of a sudden looks very limp.

I think I saw one post from a poster called something like WSchofield89 telling us to "suck it" but it must have been cleaned up pretty quickly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back