List Mgmt. Delisting and drafting is almost as fun as trading: The trade and draft megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope someone eventually, if they haven't already gets into Nicnats ear about the condition he needs to be in when he comes back, so not to put as much strain on his knees.

Bloke needs to be 10kgs lighter at a minimum IMO. Have to turn him back into a slippery greased up Italian stallion, rather than a bash and crash ruck.

He won't last otherwise.

Depends what you're looking for/at

Clean creative hands :whitecheck:
Attacks the footy in the contest :whitecheck:
Not afraid of body contact :whitecheck:
Strong and powerful enough to break tackles :whitecheck:
Good vision and quick hands in tight :whitecheck:
Showed his power with a few bursts away from the contest :whitecheck:

Unfortunately you don't get a big sample of his kicking, or how he uses the ball in space. But he tested very well at the combine in endurance and agility.

I like what I see. BBIB's who have a powerful burst of speed are worth their weight in gold IMO.

Hi Dark Sharks
Glad your on board with Ely Smith what i like is his agility is so good and he is a huge boy at 86kg's.
Most boys that big dont have elite agility stands him in good as a inside mid atr afl level
I also believe WCE have been speaking to him recently so he is on there radar

Valente is just a good inside mid no really outstanding traits is a good decision maker not quick not slow.

O'Halloran is the other i like very balanced inside outside mid that could also play half back so is very versatile
is a good leader as well. He also likes to tackle and talk on field to his teammates

Both should be around our pick

Last edited:
Also how fan forums (like this) can cause GM's to trade three first rounders.... and good ol' David Putney.

I want my picks back............ all of them.

images

I think you may be conflating Sydney's trade of pick 13 for lower picks with the 20% pick discount for academy player points matching.

The swans gained 600 points on that 3 way trade with Carlton and Adelaide. Pick 13 by itself isn't worth picks 26, 28 and 40.

They've just traded themselves into a better position, which is fine.

Edit: Never mind. I missed an entire page of people discussing exactly this :)

Yeah it’s a combo. There is a 20% discount. And an advantage you can get from downgrading picks.

Their ability to downgrade for more points is only due to the flawed points system that over-rates lower picks. It wasn’t designed to be like this. If the AFL change it so that picks are worth what clubs actually value them at, they can remove the ability of clubs with high academy/fs picks to trade high picks for more points. This way they can keep the discount to the intended discount, the 20%.

Yeah it’s a combo. There is a 20% discount. And an advantage you can get from downgrading picks.

Their ability to downgrade for more points is only due to the flawed points system that over-rates lower picks. It wasn’t designed to be like this. If the AFL change it so that picks are worth what clubs actually value them at, they can remove the ability of clubs with high academy/fs picks to trade high picks for more points. This way they can keep the discount to the intended discount, the 20%.

Previous years pick trades have been roughly points equivalent (hilarious Gold Coast trading aside)...just this year clubs have been willing to trade more lower picks for high picks. Not sure that's indicative of clubs valuing them differently to the points or this year just being a special case.

Also it's possible that the clubs valuation of picks this year is wrong. I'm pretty comfortable with the current official valuations.

I think what we're seeing is a Hawthorn/Free Agency inspired trend where clubs are overpaying for top end players/picks, and it'll all end in tears.

Actually got to speak to our head of sport science Warren Kofoed the other day.
And asked who had the most improvement in them and he said Jackson Nelson.
Said he is one of the best kicks at the club , but is kicking and decision making always drop away late
in quarters because of fitness.
Says he is surprising very quick but lacks endurance, but this can be rectified by a huge preseason.
Says if his diet and training improve he will be a very good best 22 player easily.

Was very surprised by this.
That is a big surprise...I look forward to seeing him apply himself and fulfil his potential.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Said he is one of the best kicks at the club , but is kicking and decision making always drop away late
Says he is surprising very quick but lacks endurance, but this can be rectified by a huge preseason.
Says if his diet and training improve he will be a very good best 22 player easily.

Thought he was quick myself. Hadn't noticed his kicking though.

I have always remembered a game against the Hawks when Nelson dashed around the wing and kicked one of the best points you will see. He looked super quick and kicked it 50m on the run. And I thought at the time that he was the perfect wingman, opposite side to Gaff. But with low endurance, now I can see why we didn't persevere with that.

Delisted AFL players is probably our best source of players for the Reserves Team.
Players in the 20 to 25 age bracket who might relish a chance to sit under the eyes of another AFL club.
Could include the likes of:
Marco Paperone
Billy Hartung
Gordon Narrier
Declan Mountford
Nathan Freeman
Hugh Goddard
Darren Minchington
Jackson Merrett etc
Goddard has plenty of talent and could make it. Hartung would offer similar to Masten. Gut busts but just one way.

Don’t personally get the McInness hate (here or Facebook)

The lads an insurance policy and no more. With the rule changes you need someone who is capable of at least disrupting a ruck contest and providing a contest in the forward line

Fraser does that - no more no less

So unless there’s some mature age talent doing it better elsewhere - may as well keep the guy who knows our system

I’m in the camp of also getting Clarke on minimum chips - as well as a young developing ruck

We ran the gauntlet and got lucky this year that Vardy held up

If they are that transparent with Nelson's deficiencies then why is it taking him so long to build endurance or work on his diet. He's been in the system 4 years now?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Cole and Duggan told him to get the moustache but he went the Goldilocks look and they are waiting for compliance

If they are that transparent with Nelson's deficiencies then why is it taking him so long to build endurance or work on his diet. He's been in the system 4 years now?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I think first 3 pre seasons are restricted for young players. Or at least they used to be.

Yeo went another level endurance wise and he was older than Nelson. So who knows.

I hope someone eventually, if they haven't already gets into Nicnats ear about the condition he needs to be in when he comes back, so not to put as much strain on his knees.

Bloke needs to be 10kgs lighter at a minimum IMO. Have to turn him back into a slippery greased up Italian stallion, rather than a bash and crash ruck.

He won't last otherwise.
Easy this.

He became a monster which is fine if he wasnt ridic fast and agile - the stress on those knees must be awesome

He’s always been chunky. I think sometimes players get the balance between strength and fitness wrong. Hopefully he can put it together and drop some weight and get the endurance up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back