Roast Demons in the Indigenous Australians squad for International Rules Series in Ireland 2013.

Remove this Banner Ad

Is kind of a joke when someone could potentially represent there country without having every played at the top level

Dave Warner anyone?
Well it's a joke when you can only be of one ethnicity in order to represent your country in the first place.

Imagine the uproar if we had a white only Australian team

Well it's a joke when you can only be of one ethnicity in order to represent your country in the first place.

Yeah the series truly is a joke now, the irish are gonna bully the indigenous boys once they catch them

Not the same thing at all. The indigenous people in this country have been a minority since the arrival of the First Fleet and are still living through the ramifications of postcolonialism. White people have, for recent history, been the dominant power and enjoy the benefits (cultural, social, economic, political) of this.

To suggest some sort of reverse racisim in situations like this completely misses the point and is, in my opinion, offensive.

Not the same thing at all. The indigenous people in this country have been a minority since the arrival of the First Fleet and are still living through the ramifications of postcolonialism. White people have, for recent history, been the dominant power and enjoy the benefits (cultural, social, economic, political) of this.

To suggest some sort of reverse racisim in situations like this completely misses the point and is, in my opinion, offensive.
So in order to make up for this, despite that fact we aren't living in the 50's, it is fine to stop any non indeginous player from having the opportunity to represent his country?

Did not claim any reverse racism, just pointing out that sport is not the place to make up for past political wrongs.

So in order to make up for this, despite that fact we aren't living in the 50's, it is fine to stop any non indeginous player from having the opportunity to represent his country?

Did not claim any reverse racism, just pointing out that sport is not the place to make up for past political wrongs.

If any white player genuinely felt offended being denied the opportunity to represent his country in the IRS, then I would suggest he do some reading about the opportunities denied to indigenous people in this country for the last 200 years.

Of course, it would be that player's individual right to remain offended, but I don't think his position would be very defensible.

You may be right about sport not being the right place to make up for past political wrongs. But that's assuming 'sport' (in this case, Aussie rules/the AFL) is wholly separate from the wider social/cultural/political environment -- a premise I don't agree with.

I personally am troubled by things like Dreamtime at the G and other AFL endorsed programs to embrace minorities, but that's because I'm worried about it coming across as patronising or culturally appropriative.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If any white player genuinely felt offended being denied the opportunity to represent his country in the IRS, then I would suggest he do some reading about the opportunities denied to indigenous people in this country for the last 200 years.

Of course, it would be that player's individual right to remain offended, but I don't think his position would be very defensible.

You may be right about sport not being the right place to make up for past political wrongs. But that's assuming 'sport' (in this case, Aussie rules/the AFL) is wholly separate from the wider social/cultural/political environment -- a premise I don't agree with.

I personally am troubled by things like Dreamtime at the G and other AFL endorsed programs to embrace minorities, but that's because I'm worried about it coming across as patronising or culturally appropriative.
what did that player do? We all understand things that happened in the past sucked, no one is denying that but this is simple racism

If it was the other way we would be hearing a lot more about it and thats fact

what did that player do? We all understand things that happened in the past sucked, no one is denying that but this is simple racism

Yes. if it was the other way around we sure would hear a lot more about it. But that would be because to allow only a white team to rep Australia would be a perpetuation of the oppression of black Australia by the white majority.

But that doesn't mean that an Indigenous Australian team (the reverse) is the same thing or in any way equivalent.

Positive showcasing of disadvantaged and minorities is the best and quickest way to demonstrate societal change. It reinforces that the minority has a valid contribution to make.

Do you also disagree with the premise of the Paralympics? What about the women's game (Dees vs Footscray) back in June?

Sorry Siv, but I disagree with this. I think sport is the perfect place to highlight social injustice and to take a stand. The AFL has been a leading force in calling out racist behaviour in its crowds and that is permeating through society. It is doing the same thing with sexism and has started to with homophobia as well. The AFL should be commended for it.

On a world scale, check out the impact that blocking sporting tours to South Africa has during the time of apartheid. Check out the Black Power salute at the Berlin Olympics. Watch for the rise of the Principle 6 movement to protest Russia's anti-gay laws at the Sochi winter Olympics.

This isn't racism. Not even close.

Sorry Siv, but I disagree with this. I think sport is the perfect place to highlight social injustice and to take a stand. The AFL has been a leading force in calling out racist behaviour in its crowds and that is permeating through society. It is doing the same thing with sexism and has started to with homophobia as well. The AFL should be commended for it.

On a world scale, check out the impact that blocking sporting tours to South Africa has during the time of apartheid. Check out the Black Power salute at the Berlin Olympics. Watch for the rise of the Principle 6 movement to protest Russia's anti-gay laws at the Sochi winter Olympics.

The AFL has been a leading force in calling out racism, it is almost totally eliminated from our game, which is a good thing.

We should have a game where we embrace and integrate with the aboriginal community (like the dreamtime game), not one where we segregate.

Should the generation of today (many of which try to stamp out racism) be continually responsible for the racist actions of past generations? what about the white or black players that have had parents only just move here in the last 20-25 years? should they also be responsible?

I am not saying that there wasn't an injustice done to the aboriginal community, no body is doubting that.

I just personally do not like the idea that we have events where one race is allowed to play and the rest of the leagues many races are not allowed to play. To me that represents a division and not an integration of communities, cultures, races ext. I prefer a dreamtime type of game where the aboriginal community is honoured and then integrated into a game where players of all ethnicities, races ext are playing

I understand it is a sensitive topic and there are many views, I am just expressing mine.

In some ways it's a double edged sword.

However, for all the debate and meaning and history we can draw on to convey our collective thoughts, I just hope for one thing and one thing only. For this team to be accepted in Ireland in the same way and spirit in which it is intended by the AFL.

The world arena is complex and there are no guarantees regarding human nature, only the faith we have in it. I have faith but if there are any racial issues with the crowds for example we have to be prepared for that and questions will (fairly or unfairly) be asked about what has been achieved in the greater scheme of things.

This will be a very intriguing series and not just for the footy.

I agree with this to an extent. I'm troubled by a world in which we need initiatives like Dreamtime at the 'G to maintain and grow respect for indigenous Australians. However I don't have concern with the programs themselves, and I do think they're very necessary under the status quo, given our still very xenophobic culture, however much we might try to think otherwise.

Anyone arguing that us having a team exclusively for indigenous Australians is disadvantageous or in any way expresses harms to anyone other than indigenous Australians is kidding themselves.

Treat everyone the same - that's the fastest way to remedy the problem. Any supposed international fixtures where a side limits their selection to a small subsection of the available players is a gimmick, not a competitive series. Zero interest in watching the indigenous side v the Irish, or a left-footed side v the Irish, or a team of angry youths with purple mohawks v the Irish.

I'd imagine there are players out there who would have loved the chance to go to Ireland and try their hand at the hybrid spectacle, but don't have the chance and can't really speak out because of the negative reaction they'd most likely attract. "Oh, but consider what the indigenous man had to..." yada yada is a cop out for mine - stick to what's fair and leave it at that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back