'Destination clubs' - Fallout the AFL didn't see coming?

Remove this Banner Ad

Let's cut the s**t...

The real reason the AFL locks in Carl v Rich on Round 1, Ess v Coll on Anzac Day and Rich v Ess in May is because Channel 7 likes it that way and pays the AFL handsomely to ensure the fixture is geared around TV ratings first and foremost.

Of course, the participating clubs appreciate the increased ticket sales from these heavily promoted fixtures. But this is a fringe benefit.

It's pretty easy to sell those games as events as well though. Dreamtime at the 'G started as a day game and built up to the point where the AFL created a themed round around it, where now every club gets involved with their indigenous guernseys (you're all welcome for that money-spinner by the way). The game is built into the fixture because the event is a successful promotional tool for the AFL.

The 'Country Game' is similar, and while it may never catch on, at least those clubs aren't standing still either.

The constant refrain I hear from fans of the Big Four to "build your own traditions" is nothing but a load of hot poop. The Hawks lobbied the AFL for YEARS for a yearly match vs Carlton on Good Friday and they were flatly ignored.

Because North beat Hawthorn (and everyone else) to the idea by over a decade. If anything you're helping prove my point by citing good Friday, the first team to lobby for it got it.

North pioneered Friday night footy. How did that "tradition" work out for them?

Friday comes once a week, you can't lock them all down. A single, isolated fixture request is much easier to accomodate.

I'm pretty sure every non-Big 4 club would like to lock in a yearly MCG marquee fixture against Collingwood or Essendon. It doesn't matter how much they might want it. They're not going to get it.

Well if they want it, they need to come up with a concept, it's not difficult. ANZAC eve wasn't a thing until a few years back and Melbourne are anything but a big club, but it was tried, and now the fixture is locked.

There's an empty Sunday night slot before Queen's Birthday that no one is using if a clyb wanted to show some vision, unfortunately it's just easier for clubs to whinge and moan about ANZAC Day every year.

Clearly Anzac Day - that's all he's getting.

Considering they play Collingwood I'm not sure that one is too likely either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back