Do you memorise player's numbers?

Remove this Banner Ad

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Do you tend to memorise the guernsey numbers of players of your team, or players you tend to take note of? I don't know if I'm the exception, but I generally never have, barring a few, even for my own team. So I can't always tell who's even got the ball, lol. I usually go by other features. Living in Melbourne and not having Foxtel, or watching every Eagles game on live, I haven't even seen most Eagles games this season anyway. I feel it makes me not able to analyse our playing form this season in as much detail on a player by player basis. I try sometimes, but I've not really good with such details.

Do you tend to memorise the guernsey numbers of players of your team, or players you tend to take note of? I don't know if I'm the exception, but I generally never have, barring a few, even for my own team. So I can't always tell who's even got the ball, lol. I usually go by other features. Living in Melbourne and not having Foxtel, or watching every Eagles game on live, I haven't even seen most Eagles games this season anyway. I feel it makes me not able to analyse our playing form this season in as much detail on a player by player basis. I try sometimes, but I've not really good with such details.
When I was a kid I knew 'em backwards and forward. Nowadays I know the gun players / blokes who have been around for awhile / 'obvious' ones that stick out (low numbers, noteable numbers) just through observation and memory, not actively memorised. Player names on the back of jumpers would not be the worst idea. This was tried once.

When I was a kid I knew 'em backwards and forward. Nowadays I know the gun players / blokes who have been around for awhile / 'obvious' ones that stick out (low numbers, noteable numbers) just through observation and memory, not actively memorised. Player names on the back of jumpers would not be the worst idea. This was tried once.

Do they have numbers on the back of NFL players jumpers on the states? I know they have them on the back of basketball singlets, of course. Of course in soccer they usually do.

The problem with AFL is it's played on a much bigger oval, so it's at more of a distance, but I would think they'd still often be recognisable enough.

Do they have numbers on the back of NFL players jumpers on the states? I know they have them on the back of basketball singlets, of course. Of course in soccer they usually do.

The problem with AFL is it's played on a much bigger oval, so it's at more of a distance, but I would think they'd still often be recognisable enough.
Yeah, front and back I think. Definitely easier to recognise AFL players from a distance by the heavily tattood, the beardos, those with unusual additions like helmets, glove, longsleeves etc.

Must be a young fellas thing. Us oldies can tell each player by number and body shape and colour. No matter how far away I can name a player with 98% certainty. Some of us can name the best players in each jumper that ever played for us.

But you all got googlebrain :p

Front and back in the NFL with names as well.

Yeah, front and back I think. Definitely easier to recognise AFL players from a distance by the heavily tattood, the beardos, those with unusual additions like helmets, glove, longsleeves etc.

I think if you couldn't pick Nic Nat you'd really have to have your eyes checked :p.

Last edited:
Must be a young fellas thing. Us oldies can tell each player by number and body shape and colour. No matter how far away I can name a player with 98% certainty. Some of us can name the best players in each jumper that ever played for us.

Yeah might be, haha. I figure that's how commentators do it, they probably have all the numbers recognised, so they can recognise them almost instantly, whereas for us for some players it's not always clear if you haven't got them memorised.

Front and back in the NFL with names as well.

Ah okay. I know little about American football/gridiron, I do know some of the teams and they have a thing called the Superbowl, and have seen bits of games. Don't understand all the rules, it looks kinda interesting despite the goofy gear lol.

I struggle at times to remember them but I try. More opposition players as repitition tends to handle your own team. Part of the challenge of watching live. I refuse to go to the game and watch the big screen except for replays

Interesting.

I would have thought most people could remember the numbers of their team's list, except for maybe the obscure rookies who never play. I certainly know the whole Crows list by number, besides our SANFL top up players.

Where it gets difficult is knowing opponents' numbers, as I doubt only the obsessive would memorise these things for other teams. I generally only know the numbers of the other team's stars or players who annoy me for whatever reason (spud tearing us apart, ugliness etc).

It's more difficult at the ground without the commentators/when I don't get footy record.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting.

I would have thought most people could remember the numbers of their team's list, except for maybe the obscure rookies who never play. I certainly know the whole Crows list by number, besides our SANFL top up players.

Where it gets difficult is knowing opponents' numbers, as I doubt only the obsessive would memorise these things for other teams. I generally only know the numbers of the other team's stars or players who annoy me for whatever reason (spud tearing us apart, ugliness etc).

It's more difficult at the ground without the commentators/when I don't get footy record.

If it's teams I watch enough I can usually recognise them anyway, the main squad at least. But yeah, I just wondered if I was in the minority or what. For me numbers just don't seem to feature much. Having lived in Melbourne I don't watch a lot of Eagles games so can't always pick out the player with the ball. There are also a few I'm not that familiar with.

Clearly the commentators use the numbers, simply by the mistakes they make, e.g. for Hawthorn Burgoyne (#9) and Gunston (#19); Stratton (#24) and Birchall (#14). Also anyone with a number starting with 4 (41, 42, 43, etc) are generally called as Howe.

Once you know how they move, you know who they are.
Then you can watch the EJ game, or a slowdown years later. The players may be slower, fatter etc, but most of the traits in their movement remain exactly the same.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back