Does Geelong's 'lifestyle' factor give them an unfair advantage for free agency signings?

Remove this Banner Ad

I call it the 'Moggs Creek' factor. Players love to move to Geelong to 'get away from it all.' The big smoke isn't for everyone, which is why Geelong exists. Does this give them an unfair advantage when signing free agencies? It seems like the team is a hotspot for mature players that want that Dangerfield lifestyle for their families.

I think this has definitely helped Geelong stay competitive for so long. They've been able to top up with high-quality, mature FAs on the regular.
If you have spent a day in Geelong you would know the only good thing about Geelong is the road out of it

Melbourne:
5f44fd1183ddfb67cfba56fd908edcaf.jpg

Geelong:
future.jpg

Every player needs a personal media team that keep his life on air 24/7. Then there is no reason to leave any club to get less media attention. Sounds fair.

For years it’s struck me as weird that there’s an acknowledged lifestyle factor involved with Geelongs recruitment - yet people want to use “lifestyle” as a reason that no one would apparently play for Tassie despite there being a lot of similarities between Geelong & Hobart.

If you have spent a day in Geelong you would know the only good thing about Geelong is the road out of it

Even the road out of it sucks. It’s boring, it’s perfectly flat, it’s mostly straight - if I were to ever fall asleep at the wheel, I’m pretty sure it’ll happen on the Princes Freeway.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeo may not have been a big name when he was traded but the Lions certainly wanted to keep him and as per this article he was regarded as one of their best young talents at the time. Worked out pretty well for WCE.
IIRC Josh Kennedy was the one chosen to move because he was a West Australian boy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melbourne is sometimes this overly serious, intense, narcissistic, status obsessed, ridiculously busy place these days, it’s like L.A, sort of. Roads insanely busy to the entire circumference an hour or more in each direction from the cbd.
Geelong just seems to be more sensible, even housing is reasonable, it’s not yet overly busy everywhere, more relaxed, has a feeling of the old Melbourne, but has become more progressive, near the water, with a great view of the coast, and there seems to be more nerdy and fun people, which is really hard to explain unless you spend time there, (how do you even define nerdy and cool) but it’s not as intimidating as Melbourne is now, what’s not to like. It’s far from perfect but it’s a just a way more zen place.

Because of how relaxing it is and that it’s near the water, the people just seem happier too, even though it doesn’t have everything like Melbourne does.

That’s my overly generalised opinion.
I’m sure there are many outer suburbs of Melbourne that have a similar spirit and atmosphere to Geelong that you wouldn’t even know about unless you lived there.

But it’s not just Geelong, it’s west Geelong, Corio, Torquay, Barwan, Ballerine, Clifton H etc…
It’s just a chill area, etc, etc, and so forth.

Last edited:
Geelong is great these days- I imagine half the people having a go at it haven’t been there for 20 years.

The middle of Geelong is s**t, since the early 90s, the focus has quite rightly been on the waterfront area but the rest has been left behind. As I alluded to earlier seconday education is very good and Deakin has a huge presence.

Totally unfair. AFL need to create a town in the middle of Australia where all players and teams are forced to relocate. With a big fence around so nobody can get in or out. AFL land, with no outside influences like family or fans. Slobbo and Kane Kornes are the mayors of the town too

You ever been to Geelong? Most of its Suburbia is a schizenhole. Yeah I know there’s the ‘Surf’ coast there too where most of the players live but it’s too cold to surf there for all bar the most committed surfers for all but 2/3 months a year and the towns themselves are plain as batshit. It’s not like moving to Byron (which I hate but does have the ‘glamour’ factor and the weather is tops most of the year. Torquay aint the same.
Have people in melbourne actually been to byron? Its an ugly town with an ugly beach, isnt tropical and has very little trees. Queenslcliff is prettier. Albeit a lot colder and windier.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back