Autopsy Dogs discombombulate Richmond 99-52

Remove this Banner Ad

Barely came here for the month of losses because its just a terrible waste of time, come back after a good win and its just painful. I like reading the analysis on a game with a lot of people picking upndifferent things throughout the game that i dont see. And its great for vfl/trade news but **** its painful most of the time. Might have to cut it to a once a week look tbh

I just skim through and read the good stuff, I couldn’t tell you what they are arguing about because I ignore it.

He did some pretty good things last night, mixed in with some bad ones.

I like how he is prepared to take the game on and has decent disposal. I was very concerned after his first game but has improved already so happy to keep seeing him develop and in the end who takes his place?
agreed with this. i think also English has been improving consistently. he will be a top ruckman. english had his best game that i can remember.

Love Timmy. He is so composed, even though he must know many of these gorilla opponents are going to be tough for a couple of years. He is one of our SMART players - think Caleb, Crozier, McLean, Dickson - knows the game and can think ahead. He is our John Schultz of the future.

Usually a bit nervous when the ruckman has the ball, but feel very confident when Timmy has it. Like when Caleb gets it like you say.

As good as Daniel has been and even was in this game he did make two particularly poor disposals that resulted in a direct turnover and chain of uninterrupted Tigers possession and goals. Probably personal bias coming into it but both were arguably attributable to his weakness on his left side.

The ‘Trengove effect’ on Wood was also valuable to Daniel too I think unless it was coincidence he didn’t seem to get isolated against a tall this week.

Some irony that the best role for Trengove may be the role Roughead is playing at Collingwood.

Ok here's the thing though, all you people who never bloody post keep saying how negative things are on our board. I agree! So why can't you and 50 others start contributing more often and we can perhaps shape the environment here and make it more positive.
Because a weeks a looooonnnngggg time in football.
Last week I was depressed and wanted everyone sacked and this week I’m thinking flags

Caleb Daniel doesn't get enough credit from your base, he's played exceptionally this year. I hate how people who can't do the most fundamental skill in the AFL get celebrated as much as they do... DYLAN SHIEL. I'd love to have him over Jetta. Start recognising game
Correct. Daniel is our most important player right now.

Probably personal bias coming into it but both were arguably attributable to his weakness on his left side.

I just watched them again and you must not remember them correctly, neither of those situations would have him use the left side of his body over the options that he took with his right foot.

Some small adjustments I'd like to see:
  • Gowers - to apply more defensive pressure i50, lay some serious tackles
  • Daniel - to find a way to cut out the 1-2 goals he seems to gift the opposition every week. I get that it's risk-reward but I reckon with some tape analysis they might be able to see what situations he is most likely to make that crucial turnover and make a minor adjustment to his play accordingly. He's smart enough. (I'm not talking about wholesale changes to the way he plays - we're still well in front even with the occasional disastrous turnover)
  • Lachie Young - to develop some awareness of who's around him so he doesn't get run down so often. I'm hoping it'll come soon enough with more senior experience.
  • Macrae - to try his sidestep once in a while when he's not in really heavy traffic. We know he's got the moves. He might break the lines and be more damaging more often. Or have we coached it out of him?
  • Hunter - try a right foot kick once in a while ... just to keep his opponents guessing and stop them closing down his left
  • Libba - rediscover the zip, aggression and hunger he had in the first 2-3 rounds. Where's it gone?
Feel free to add some more...

I just watched them again and you must not remember them correctly, neither of those situations would have him use the left side of his body over the options that he took with his right foot.
The one in the first could be harsh and could have just been a flubbed kick but equally a kick on the left would have inevitably been to the greater advantage of the Dogs player (Dunkley?) running at him. He tried to put it in front of Dunkley and kick it slightly across his body and instead kicked it with the instep straight to Edwards and a chain of possessions to goal. In the third there were no options inside going with his right side as you could tell from his couple of attempts before going for it anyway and then was easily cut off for a turnover straight to goal. He could’ve easily turned on to his left and kicked it into the forward pocket.

As I say, probably bias or just being overly harsh, but my issue is he will go out of his way to avoid playing on his left side. That doesn’t mean he hasn’t played well, although his turnovers unfortunately have been costly, but it is a weakness in my view.

Not that there’s anyone else you could really put in his position doing what he’s doing either.

• Lachie Young - to develop some awareness of who's around him so he doesn't get run down so often. I'm hoping it'll come soon enough with more senior experience.

We recently saw this with Bailey Williams early on too. Seems like the only thing Bevo wants from young players tasked with driving the ball out of the backline is to not be afraid no matter how many times they get caught. Goes with what we know about Bev that he'd value young players who have the innate confidence to take the game on even if it backfires rather than players without much skill who play it too safe. This probably goes a way to explaining why Lewis Young was dropped and Lachie Young brought in.

We trained Hamling into a pretty good key back - hes just as athletic as Naughton and
Caleb Daniel doesn't get enough credit from your base, he's played exceptionally this year. I hate how people who can't do the most fundamental skill in the AFL get celebrated as much as they do... DYLAN SHIEL. I'd love to have him over Jetta. Start recognising game

yes, when he is one of the more senior members of the team, the media will stick him with 'the little general'

poor bastard

• Gowers - to apply more defensive pressure i50, lay some serious tackles
  • Daniel - to find a way to cut out the 1-2 goals he seems to gift the opposition every week. I get that it's risk-reward but I reckon with some tape analysis they might be able to see what situations he is most likely to make that crucial turnover and make a minor adjustment to his play accordingly. He's smart enough. (I'm not talking about wholesale changes to the way he plays - we're still well in front even with the occasional disastrous turnover)
  • Macrae - to try his sidestep once in a while when he's not in really heavy traffic. We know he's got the moves. He might break the lines and be more damaging more often. Or have we coached it out of him?
  • Hunter - try a right foot kick once in a while ... just to keep his opponents guessing and stop them closing down his left
  • Libba - rediscover the zip, aggression and hunger he had in the first 2-3 rounds. Where's it gone?
Feel free to add some more...

I feel that Caleb's one or two turnovers per game that result in goals is just an inevitability of his role. He is charged with being our primary distributor and using his elite skills and decision making to use the ball creatively. He can't be expected to run at 100% efficiency and unfortunately the high risk/high reward plays he is expected to make usually lead to opposition goals when they don't pay off. The price you pay for aggressive ball movement is you get hurt when it doesn't come off. But overall if he can keep to one or two bad turnovers a game I think thats a fair price for what we get in return. Of course it would be nice if he never turned the ball over but I just don't think that's realistic.

Anyway, I'll add mine:
We should be trying to get the ball in Richards' hands a bit more for obvious reasons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The one in the first could be harsh and could have just been a flubbed kick but equally a kick on the left would have inevitably been to the greater advantage of the Dogs player (Dunkley?) running at him. He tried to put it in front of Dunkley and kick it slightly across his body and instead kicked it with the instep straight to Edwards and a chain of possessions to goal. In the third there were no options inside going with his right side as you could tell from his couple of attempts before going for it anyway and then was easily cut off for a turnover straight to goal. He could’ve easily turned on to his left and kicked it into the forward pocket.

As I say, probably bias or just being overly harsh, but my issue is he will go out of his way to avoid playing on his left side. That doesn’t mean he hasn’t played well, although his turnovers unfortunately have been costly, but it is a weakness in my view.

Not that there’s anyone else you could really put in his position doing what he’s doing either.
I think you are neither biased nor overly harsh in this observation. I've made the same observation several times. I cannot understand why he hasn't developed his left to the point where he can confidently use it. We know he has one. These inside out rights that he goes with instead lack the power and consistent accuracy a practised left would allow. Not using his left pretty much removes 25% of the options that would otherwise be available to him in my view. How good could he be if he could increase his current options by a third right now simply adding a left foot to the mix.

I can't even talk about Hunter's lack of a right foot it p***es me off that much.

I think you are neither biased nor overly harsh in this observation. I've made the same observation several times. I cannot understand why he hasn't developed his left to the point where he can confidently use it. We know he has one. These inside out rights that he goes with instead lack the power and consistent accuracy a practised left would allow. Not using his left pretty much removes 25% of the options that would otherwise be available to him in my view. How good could he be if he could increase his current options by a third right now simply adding a left foot to the mix.

I can't even talk about Hunter's lack of a right foot it p***es me off that much.
On a positive note how impressive has been Bonts development of a right foot? Lefties traditionally very one sided and I dont reckon Bont had a right foot when started with us. Now he drills 40m precision passes with his right. Impressive.

On a positive note how impressive has been Bonts development of a right foot? Lefties traditionally very one sided and I dont reckon Bont had a right foot when started with us. Now he drills 40m precision passes with his right. Impressive.

Macrae and Libber capable on right as well, especially Tom. Hunter is a lost cause on the right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As good as Daniel has been and even was in this game he did make two particularly poor disposals that resulted in a direct turnover and chain of uninterrupted Tigers possession and goals. Probably personal bias coming into it but both were arguably attributable to his weakness on his left side.

The ‘Trengove effect’ on Wood was also valuable to Daniel too I think unless it was coincidence he didn’t seem to get isolated against a tall this week.

Some irony that the best role for Trengove may be the role Roughead is playing at Collingwood.

Daniel is our "quarterback". Our players are even looking to give to him to hit the next target.

The time he kicked to the centre his kick was intercepted-but had it paid off it would have opened up a path to goal. Other time he was looking for what seemed an eternity for the right option, and got caught and turned it over. Its risk versus reward I suppose.

Votes

10 Aaron Naughton (WB)
8 Marcus Bontempelli (WB)
5 Josh Dunkley (WB)
3 Caleb Daniel (WB)
2 Hayden Crozier (WB)
1 Jackson Trengove (WB)
1 Toby McLean (WB)

I feel that Caleb's one or two turnovers per game that result in goals is just an inevitability of his role. He is charged with being our primary distributor and using his elite skills and decision making to use the ball creatively. He can't be expected to run at 100% efficiency and unfortunately the high risk/high reward plays he is expected to make usually lead to opposition goals when they don't pay off. The price you pay for aggressive ball movement is you get hurt when it doesn't come off. But overall if he can keep to one or two bad turnovers a game I think thats a fair price for what we get in return. Of course it would be nice if he never turned the ball over but I just don't think that's realistic.

Anyway, I'll add mine:
We should be trying to get the ball in Richards' hands a bit more for obvious reasons.
Ive also noticed our own teammates putting him under immense pressure on several occassions, i understand we try to get the ball into his hands as much as possible but sometimes we just need to move the ball forward rather than put him under the pump. We'll learn whens the right time to use him and when not too though. Usually hes good enough to sort it out anyway.

Votes

10 Aaron Naughton (WB)
8 Marcus Bontempelli (WB)
5 Josh Dunkley (WB)
3 Caleb Daniel (WB)
2 Hayden Crozier (WB)
1 Jackson Trengove (WB)
1 Toby McLean (WB)
Apart from the obvious ones, good to see Trengove recognised for his efforts. Absolutely shut Lynch out of the game and allowed Crozier and Daniel to explode down back. Played a very unselfish game

Part of the reason our accuracy improved is that we were able to get some easy goals, which we have really struggled with compared to other teams. Gowers strolling into open goal was one of them.

Speaking of Gowers I know he's struggling a bit, but look at his reaction after Bont's 2nd goal, straight into the opposition defender to tell them about it. He celebrates team goals like he's kicked them himself and that's why I love him. He's a very good team player if nothing else.

Daniel is our "quarterback". Our players are even looking to give to him to hit the next target.

The time he kicked to the centre his kick was intercepted-but had it paid off it would have opened up a path to goal. Other time he was looking for what seemed an eternity for the right option, and got caught and turned it over. Its risk versus reward I suppose.

It’s been huge reward so far. Pleasure to watch

Part of the reason our accuracy improved is that we were able to get some easy goals, which we have really struggled with compared to other teams. Gowers strolling into open goal was one of them.

Speaking of Gowers I know he's struggling a bit, but look at his reaction after Bont's 2nd goal, straight into the opposition defender to tell them about it. He celebrates team goals like he's kicked them himself and that's why I love him. He's a very good team player if nothing else.
Also Bevo mentioned how happy he was with how Gowers played his role on the day - makes it clear that he wasn't just there to kick a bag and nothing else. Dylan Grimes (AA squad last year) barely had any impact while playing on Gowers, and it was clear he was getting frustrated toward the end of the game. From a supercoach perspective, Gowers was dogshit. From a team perspective, he clearly played his part and I think the calls for him to be dropped are pretty unfair

Also Bevo mentioned how happy he was with how Gowers played his role on the day - makes it clear that he wasn't just there to kick a bag and nothing else. Dylan Grimes (AA squad last year) barely had any impact while playing on Gowers, and it was clear he was getting frustrated toward the end of the game. From a supercoach perspective, Gowers was dogshit. From a team perspective, he clearly played his part and I think the calls for him to be dropped are pretty unfair
Bottom ranked player the last two weeks, so number one spot in the taxi rank of life, unless of course he was playing his
"role" both weeks. I noticed Gowers is a better kick from the open side of the ground and terrible from the narrow side
maybe this should be worked into his leading patterns. He is also a ripping kick from the goal line.

Bottom ranked player the last two weeks, so number one spot in the taxi rank of life, unless of course he was playing his
"role" both weeks. I noticed Gowers is a better kick from the open side of the ground and terrible from the narrow side
maybe this should be worked into his leading patterns. He is also a ripping kick from the goal line.
I would argue that this is why we can't simply look at stats when assessing player impact. Dunkley was easily the highest ranked player on the day, but most of us seem to feel that Naughton and Bont were better (plus some argue Daniel too). I think it just shows that Gowers is willing to sacrifice individual glory for the sake of the team.

In saying that, his efforts lately have been pretty lacking, and there is definitely a lot of room for improvement. I just feel that calling for him to be dropped because he barely got a touch is a bit shortsighted

Remove this Banner Ad

Back