Review Dogs scrape home against Oranges 62-57

Remove this Banner Ad

One of the most frustrating games I've been to and there's been many. We did just about everything we could to give GWS that game with such poor decision making and disposal. I suppose you could say a win is a win but really that was so unconvincing.

Can understand the frustration of many. It was a joke of a game to watch. The gws game plan was super effective and really threw us off. They didn’t look threatening really all game.

Our backs were really good despite being susceptible defending teams on the lead.

I thought Treloar was excellent. His link up is pretty effective although one does hold their breath when he decides to bite a bit off. His disposal overall does look better kicking into a more open field.

Ed may have a look at the best and fairest. Excellent player.

This is my summary of the feel of the game in four sentences:

1. Even though the plan was sound, GWS were too risk averse in the first quarter.

2. Gws were more decisive off our turnovers in the second quarter and we couldn’t lock them in.

3. We adjusted and went quick which meant we kicked off but we also turned it over more which led to their response.

4. We maintained our adjustment and stayed dynamic in the last despite not really hitting the scoreboard that much.

Jamarra
was threatening all day. I give him a big tick.

Libba was scintillating. He’s been a delight to watch lately. He’s such a maniac.

West and McNeil both made some strong bodied plays when they had to. Especially West because his plays are more impactful. I really don’t mind McNeil though, because he plays with hardness.

I know a lot in here are grouchy and we need some mirror time this off season but I admire that we keep getting up and trying. All is not lost (long term). Next year is judgment day though for Bevo. I’m leaning toward other footy department changes. I do just think Bevo’s positives outweigh his negatives it’s just that he has more obvious flops than other coaches.

If we make finals, we'll lose week 1.
I'd take it just to get a finals game into Marra & Sam Darcy

Other than Geelong, Sydney and to a lesser extent Collingwood, who are all very unlikely to finish 5th if we finish 8th, no one in the comp can play two good weeks in a row, so I don’t think it’s impossible to steal a win. Unlikely but possible.

The experience of playing a big final would be invaluable for a lot of some quality younger players, I’d add West, Martin and Richards to your list too.

JUH looks more dangerous than Naughton at the moment.

I liked the fact Cordy cleaned some campaigner up. But I enjoyed Westy on Hopper even more.

Westy’s hands were superb.

Does anyone else reckon that because the commentators thought that Naughton’s goal hit the post that the AFL then decided to look at a replay that was not conclusive and overuled it purely on the commentators opinion, so 2022 - f**k you Gil.
They review every goal in the background.

Seriously ugly game of football, just glad it's over.

Jamarra always has a metre on his opponent. Had he kicked straighter he would've been BOG.

We need to get someone who knows how to coach a forward line to harness the talent up there.
That has been Marra's one-wood since his junior days, that ability to step an opponent and get a little break.
I think it's possible he ends up a no 1 forward, even overtaking Naughton in time. He could be that good

English proved once again that he is the number one ruck. There’s hardly any point in playing Martin/Sweet who have no forward ability.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
He looked dangerous up forward early so we didn’t rest him there again after quarter time as far as I could tell. What’s the point of the two rucks if you’re not going to use it to our advantage? I really don’t get it.

Can understand the frustration of many. It was a joke of a game to watch. The gws game plan was super effective and really threw us off. They didn’t look threatening really all game.

Our backs were really good despite being susceptible defending teams on the lead.

I thought Treloar was excellent. His link up is pretty effective although one does hold their breath when he decides to bite a bit off. His disposal overall does look better kicking into a more open field.

Ed may have a look at the best and fairest. Excellent player.

This is my summary of the feel of the game in four sentences:

1. Even though the plan was sound, GWS were too risk averse in the first quarter.

2. Gws were more decisive off our turnovers in the second quarter and we couldn’t lock them in.

3. We adjusted and went quick which meant we kicked off but we also turned it over more which led to their response.

4. We maintained our adjustment and stayed dynamic in the last despite not really hitting the scoreboard that much.

Jamarra
was threatening all day. I give him a big tick.

Libba was scintillating. He’s been a delight to watch lately. He’s such a maniac.

West and McNeil both made some strong bodied plays when they had to. Especially West because his plays are more impactful. I really don’t mind McNeil though, because he plays with hardness.

I know a lot in here are grouchy and we need some mirror time this off season but I admire that we keep getting up and trying. All is not lost (long term). Next year is judgment day though for Bevo. I’m leaning toward other footy department changes. I do just think Bevo’s positives outweigh his negatives it’s just that he has more obvious flops than other coaches.
Well articulated and summarised Zgope1, thank you for your thoughts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we are going to play English like that then its an absolute croc that Schache didn't play.

Another leading target and also gives the flexibility to push Darcy forward if Darcy doesn't have a great matchup.

For the short term it was the obvious choice. Instead we get Bev wheeling out cooked Martin in a foreign position.

He looked dangerous up forward early so we didn’t rest him there again after quarter time as far as I could tell. What’s the point of the two rucks if you’re not going to use it to our advantage? I really don’t get it.

It was probably the plan, Martin was offering zero in the ruck and around the ground so essentially they had no option but swap it back after half time.

In the end the only 10 minutes we looked good was when English had an extended period in the ruck in that third and he, Smith and Williams started turning it on.

We may have the two most distinct playing styles from an opponent inside two weeks in afl history. Hawks won’t put up that trash GWS did

That has been Marra's one-wood since his junior days, that ability to step an opponent and get a little break.
I think it's possible he ends up a no 1 forward, even overtaking Naughton in time. He could be that good
We haven't seen it as much yet but he is a very good contested mark. With proper guidance, Naughton and he will stop launching at the same contest.

Aleer is a good defender and held JUH well at times but on the lead I don't think many defenders can go with him.

Other than Geelong, Sydney and to a lesser extent Collingwood, who are all very unlikely to finish 5th if we finish 8th, no one in the comp can play two good weeks in a row, so I don’t think it’s impossible to steal a win. Unlikely but possible.

The experience of playing a big final would be invaluable for a lot of some quality younger players, I’d add West, Martin and Richards to your list too.
A very sensible post with a very subtle troll :)

How does that Edge thing work? I thought it should be flat and only show a spike at the moment the ball touched the post. The image they showed had a whole row of spikes and squiggles.

The ball didn’t deviate and goal umpire was in good position. I call BS.

This reminded me of going to VFL park, wearing two jackets and a woolly jumper, still being wet and cold and watching the last quarter of a scrappy game in fading light and then traipsing through the mud to the car only to sit in the car for 50 minutes waiting to get out of Wellington road.

Compare this to the 2016 Prelim and football clearly hasn't been the winner.

How could anyone know Stef would be s**t, I mean he had 28 touches in the 2s last week, weird

It’s almost like the AFL is a different standard to the VFL……😂

My issue isn’t that he played, although I wouldn’t have picked him personally. It’s that it still looked like English was first ruck. So Martin was preferred to Schache and Bruce in a role that was primarily forward?

I’m not sure if that’s true because I was distracted by our ineptitude, but looked like it to me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back