Opinion Douglas Bump - Fair or not? Leadership or silly act?

What did you make of Douglas's bump on Merrett?

• Nothing to worry about - 0 matches off

Votes: 27 31.4%
  • Some concerns - probably 1 week off

Votes: 23 26.7%
  • Think he's in trouble - likely 2 weeks off

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • Regardless of any penalties, proud of Douglas for showing some mongrel!

Votes: 32 37.2%
  • Regardless of any penalties, I think he should have tackled instead of the bump!

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

He just needs to tell the tribunal he is mates with trent cotchin. Cut and dry, your playing this week.

Interesting that Douglas's hand is actually on the ball when he makes contact and his eyes are focused on the ball.

Interesting that Douglas's hand is actually on the ball when he makes contact and his eyes are focused on the ball.
They're Merrett's hands.

Dougie's right arm is pinned to his side, his left hand is slapping Merrett across the face.

What footage are you watching hahahahaha? His hands are no where near the ball and he was looking straight at Merrett before turning away when he made contact.

Not under the new system - there is no extra week penalty involved - just a $10K fee the club has to pay if they lose the appeal. As for the appeal itself, there should have been no way he was suspended in the first place as he clearly makes contact under below the armpit first. Had he made contact with the head first, then yep, he should have been in trouble. The club would not have appealed this if they did not think they would get the original wrong decision overturned

One week maximum
Only $10000 fine is unsuccessful

No extra week. Just the cost. If hes found not guilty we get the money back
I really should get up to speed with the new system shouldn't I? :D

I would feel more motivated if it was more consistent than the old system! ;) :rolleyes:

I don't think its conclusive either. It is possible that part of Douglas's shoulder made direct contact with the head. But the only thing that supports that is the movement of Merrett's head after impact. There doesn't seem to be any direct footage that shows contact. The actual line of Douglas's body does not seem to line up with the position of Merret's head.

I wonder if it is possible that it was Merrett's own shoulder made contact with his head. That is, after the bump, his shoulder moved up and the same time his head jerked towards his own shoulder and then pin balled away as can be seen in the vision.

I can't see Douglas getting off. The only possible good thing that can come from this is that at least we set a benchmark that is hopefully followed throughout the season for any similar incidents. That is, even if there is no conclusive evidence of shoulder on head contact, a suspension can still be given based on what happened next.

I don't think its conclusive either. It is possible that part of Douglas's shoulder made direct contact with the head. But the only thing that supports that is the movement of Merrett's head after impact. There doesn't seem to be any direct footage that shows contact. The actual line of Douglas's body does not seem to line up with the position of Merret's head.

I wonder if it is possible that it was Merrett's own shoulder made contact with his head. That is, after the bump, his shoulder moved up and the same time his head jerked towards his own shoulder and then pin balled away as can be seen in the vision.

I can't see Douglas getting off. The only possible good thing that can come from this is that at least we set a benchmark that is hopefully followed throughout the season for any similar incidents. That is, even if there is no conclusive evidence of shoulder on head contact, a suspension can still be given based on what happened next.
yeahhhhh.... they'll still pick and choose who they ping. Just need Lingy to cast his all knowing eye over it and give his final word.

(yup. Ling gives me the shits.)

yeahhhhh.... they'll still pick and choose who they ping. Just need Lingy to cast his all knowing eye over it and give his final word.

(yup. Ling gives me the shits.)

Yeah true, but its still one less bullshit excuse they can spin....... "But if Douglas appealed he would have gotten off."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really surprised we appealed. Do we know nothing?
This is the VFL.
The VFL have just re-jigged the tribunal. Do we really think they will overturn the very first decision. One that involved a non big name playing for a non-Victorian team? Surely not.
We should appeal for 3 main reasons:
1. Douglas' intent could be argued that he was bumping the body, and not aiming for the head.
2. No front view footage of the collision to verify that there was any contact to Merrett's head.
3. We need to show as a club we're ready to back in a player as long as they play tough, uncompromising football. That's the style of football the club and the fans are hoping to see more of.

We should appeal for 3 main reasons:
1. Douglas' intent could be argued that he was bumping the body, and not aiming for the head.
2. No front view footage of the collision to verify that there was any contact to Merrett's head.
3. We need to show as a club we're ready to back in a player as long as they play tough, uncompromising football. That's the style of football the club and the fans are hoping to see more of.
1. Doesn't matter
2. Concussed - that's all that matters
3. AFL doesn't care

But points for trying

1. Doesn't matter
2. Concussed - that's all that matters
3. AFL doesn't care

But points for trying
Doesn't matter if we can reverse the decision or not. It's not the main issue how I see it. It's more about showing our stand of support for Douglas as a player. The poll on this thread shows us we want to see more of that kind of...
Obviously not to deliberately concuss someone, but it's the mongrel and aggression that is needed to play Finals footy.

Back