Draft day, what is your most and least preferred club?

Remove this Banner Ad

Most preferred would be any of Bulldogs (obvious reasons), Gold Coast, GWS, Port or Brisbane for the opportunity. Best of the rest would be Geelong.

Least preferred would be any of Melbourne's Big 4 (Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Richmond), Adelaide or West Coast given the pressures involved and expectations more than the actual club itself.

Do you think we will ever see the day when a young player just refuses to go into the draft unless he can get to his club of choice and continue to stand by that decision and fight the AFL on it?
Not sure how much he could fight it. Their rules I guess.

it could possibly be fought under restraint of trade. we discussed the AFL draft during my contracts course, but only briefly.

I don't think restraint of trade would hold up. You are always free to play in a state league, or even another sport.

I think most sane judges would realise that professional sorting leagues need to tweak with market forces a little to ensure their ongoing sustainability and success. Player unions seem to get it.

it could possibly be fought under restraint of trade. we discussed the AFL draft during my contracts course, but only briefly.

Or you could do an Eli Manning and refuse to play with the team that had the number 1 pick (San Diego Chargers) and make them do a deal with a better team (NY Giants) and win 2 super bowls?

In Australia however you'd be roasted because it's not the Australian way go to the club serve your time then move on!!

Yes terrible place. Mogadishu > Adelaide.

Having said that being drafted to either Adelaide side would be a decent prospect in the next year or 2. Both clubs rebuilding so by the time you got a game you'd think they'd be playing finals and the Adelaide Oval will be the best ground in Australia to play on. And contrary to all the Adelaide is crap rhetoric, apart from a few cry babies like Nick Stevens and Jack Gunston, not many actually leave once they get here. Can't be all bad, despite what the Melbourne media and Bigfootyites that live 48 km east of Melbourne's CBD will tell you. Sure your propensity for getting a your head in the Herald Sun social pages or a spot on that great channel 9 sporting programme is lessened, but hey your out to win a premiership, which immediately rules out half the Melbourne teams any rate.

Look, you live there, you have to talk it up ..but you are flogging a dead Horse Adelaide doesn't even come close to a City like Melbourne...or the attractions of the Gold Coast or even Fremantle for that matter .

If i was a young bloke just starting out on my footy career, Adelaide would be the last place i would want to be sent.

So i'm a POrt fan, SA boy assuming you mean drafted this year this is howi would rank the clubs

Port - Port fan, know their history young side coming high chance of getting games
Essendon - Favourite Vic team, history of succes high quality coaches around me
Adelaide, have great facilities means i can stay in SA

Everyone else

Least perferred would be

Freo (No success, nothing really attractive about them)

Don't want to go to Sydney or Brisbane because of the distance, wouldn't want to go to Port either, would love to stay home and if that meant being drafted by the Dockers then that's a sacrifice lol, I wouldn't have a problem moving to Victoria to play, just wouldn't want to go to NSW or Queensland unless it was to GC or GWS

Based on cultural factors, more than anything...

Could live with Geelong, Hawks, Brisbane, Sydney, Adelaide, Port (maybe not right at the moment though) or, at a pinch, the Bulldogs.

Would slash my wrists if picked by the Dees, Saints, or Dockers.

No mate. We have a nice brand spanking new facility. Even the old one had seen four times the flags you have.

But I'm serious. The amount of pressure on the Dogs/Sainters when they go deep in finals, the way they always dig up fossils who played in the last flag, the absolute palpable fear of "what if we lose again"????

It would be very difficult to deal with as opposed to being at a club where success is part of the modern DNA.

The Saints and the Bulldogs have both had more recent success then your mob, or are you really that delusional. :eek:

Yes terrible place. Mogadishu > Adelaide.

In all seriousness Mogadishu is not as bad as it is made out to be and probably better than Adelaide.

Mogadishu > Melbourne > Adelaide

As for the club I least want to be drafted to is Carlton.

Most preferred is obviously Essendon but from other clubs

Preferred/wouldn't mind:
Geelong
Collingwood
Gold Coast
Fremantle
West Coast
Brisbane
Hawthorn

Least preferred:
Adelaide
Port Adelaide
Carlton
North Melbourne
Melbourne
St Kilda

obviously eagles.

sydney would be good because my family is there plus you get a lot of privacy that isn't afforded afl footballers in melbourne, perth or adelaide. also they seem to be right up their in the professional stakes with development and facilities.

gold coast would be good. great lifestyle. privacy. they'll be well funded by the AFL so you be confident your footballing future is in good hands.

collingwood probably the best of the mlebourne clubs as long as you can handle the spotlight.

worst;

GWS. they'll get well sorted by the AFL, but you've either gotta live in an area with not much going on, or move towards the beaches and face an hour plus drive each way to get to training and games.

port. financial struggles, seemingly very polictical club, just had a disastrous season, and have to sing a pretty s**t song as reward for winning (;))...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is hard as I know about the culture behind Sydney, they really look after new players and the club itself is a healthy club, great to 'work' for if you know what I mean. Outside of on field success they really are one of the best organisations to be a part of in the AFL.

I'd have to go for the Cats, not for their on field success, nor for there fans lol.... I get the same feeling of strong esprit de corp they have down there in Geelong. I feel they would be a good club to be a part of and not feel like your just a number but part of a family.

good chance my son will be drafted in 6 or 7 years if he continues the way he is going.

of course I'd love for him to go to Freo, but 2nd choice would be Carlton, then Essendon or Richmond.

I love Melbourne as a city, but I don't like the Magpies. Yes, they are a great club.

As for Sydney, Adelaide & Port Power, I don't like the cities, but the teams are OK, so it would be a no thanks (if I had my say)

Gold Coast? yes please.

worst would be west coast. Who would want their kid to go to a club with that kind of culture? Maybe I just dislike their supporters too much:D

The Saints and the Bulldogs have both had more recent success then your mob, or are you really that delusional. :eek:

1999 is a lot more recent than 1966 or 1954

1999 is a lot more recent than 1966 or 1954

I doubt any kids would be concerned when the team won a premiership last...it'd be more about facilities/ coaches/ teammates/ chance of playing finals.

Personally i'd rather come into a team that was on the verge of success rather than coming in half way or just after they'd won a premiership.

I think the pies get the best out of their draftees at the moment.

Other than Carlton...

Most preferred - Western Bulldogs - my mother was a school teacher in the western suburbs, one of the leaders of the region's "disadvantaged schools program" and had a lot to do with the development of the care for kids program that the Bulldogs launched before any other AFL team. She also had a lot to do with Aussie Sports when Doug Hawkins worked there. Consequently I grew up around the Western Bulldogs despite always remaining true Carlton fans.

Least desirable team -- Richmond - Bad culture, bad team, not only accept but aim for mediocrity. Just not the type of team that I would want to be around. At least with the Bulldogs they had the balls to come out and state "if Eade doesn't take us to a premiership we'll fire him" and stuck true to their words. With Richmond, they'll accept being in the race for the finals and falling short.

Most preferred - West Coast

Awesome culture, shitloads of support, and I just hate all Victorian teams too much!

Least preferred - Carlton

Hate this club with a passion. Don't need to say anymore or I might get carded.

This thread is pretty pointless though, all draftees should be stoked that they are getting a chance to live their dream!

Other than Carlton...

Most preferred - Western Bulldogs - my mother was a school teacher in the western suburbs, one of the leaders of the region's "disadvantaged schools program" and had a lot to do with the development of the care for kids program that the Bulldogs launched before any other AFL team. She also had a lot to do with Aussie Sports when Doug Hawkins worked there. Consequently I grew up around the Western Bulldogs despite always remaining true Carlton fans.

Least desirable team -- Richmond - Bad culture, bad team, not only accept but aim for mediocrity. Just not the type of team that I would want to be around. At least with the Bulldogs they had the balls to come out and state "if Eade doesn't take us to a premiership we'll fire him" and stuck true to their words. With Richmond, they'll accept being in the race for the finals and falling short.

Are you serious bro?

Good to see the round 1 rivalry is going strong. Can't wait to fist pump after we upset your mob in round 1 - you know it! :p

one Considering the club and stadium facilites all clubs will be playing out of in a couple of years it's a harder choice than I initially thought.

Either of the Qld or NSW teams, Adelaide, Hawthorn.

Indifferent to the Vic big 4, Geelong.

Wouldn't really want to go to StKilda, Bulldogs, North or Port (still the Adelaide Oval looks like it will be a bloody fantastic stadium).

So no to Freo.

[/B]

Are you serious bro?

Good to see the round 1 rivalry is going strong. Can't wait to fist pump after we upset your mob in round 1 - you know it! :p

What's your club's stated aim this year? "To make the lower half of the eight..." Therefore, if your team happens to find itself in eighth place due to other teams copping injuries all year (think Fremantle's drop last year, the Bulldogs tailing off badly somewhat due to injuries (among other things), etc.) and then gets destroyed in the first week of the finals (think what Carlton did to Essendon) that would be seen as "mission accomplished" for the season.

Such lofty expectations.

Your club not only accepts mediocrity but aims for it.

As far as Round One rivalry goes -- you can enjoy it as much as you want. I'm not particularly phased by it. I believe we'll do what we've done each of the past few years and win so long as we don't get ourselves rapt up in our over-hype and believe our s**t doesn't stink (much of last year's opener). Ultimately, I could care less about round one. What I'm worried about is the end of the season. We've not been embarrassed in a final yet and have looked increasingly better each year. At Carlton we're focused on the top four and if we play our cards right a strong premiership tilt. Unfortunately, that means that for us to be the team that hands you the type of loss we handed Essendon in the finals last year we will have massively underachieved compared to your 'mission accomplished' status.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back