Recruiting Draft Watch - Jones, Bryan, Johnson, Cahill, Hibberd in

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are not going to get anywhere near the Gold Coast picks. Fantasy stuff.
Zaka is not going to attract a pick inside the top 15 either. In fact I doubt he attracts an early second round pick.
You would be looking to trade Zak Merritt if you wanted to get inside the top 5 and that defeats the purpose.
Zaharakis + 5 would get you pick 2.
That's what I meant.

It's just a 3 pick upgrade. There's plenty of talent in the top 5.

GC desperately need experienced players to retain their young players.

I wouldnt be able to say yes quick enough.

I would be stunned if that was the case though.

Can turn 1 bloke who doesn’t want to be there into 2!

That's what I meant.

You need to look at it from the point that this year is a two player draft though

The difference between Rowell/Anderson and the rest is substantial.

You arent making a simple numerical downgrade, but giving up a chance at one of only two 9/10 prospect for a 30 year old zaharakis and a 7/10 prospect.

You need to look at it from the point that this year is a two player draft though

The difference between Rowell/Anderson and the rest is substantial.

You arent making a simple numerical downgrade, but giving up a chance at one of only two 9/10 prospect for a 30 year old zaharakis and a 7/10 prospect.
If you say so. Don't know too much about the rest of the draft if I'm honest. Surely there's a couple of other reasonable prospects that makes it worth it? Particularly outside midfielders.

Gold Coast have plenty of inside mids. Two more makes it a little heavier on the inside and light on proper outside players with Jack Martin set to leave. It means players like Miller (who they cannot afford to lose from a cultural perspective) will struggle to get games. Even Brodie who actually wants to stay might struggle. King and Lukosius are more likely to bail next year if they are as bad as they were this year. Even if it isn't Zaharakis, I've always been under the impression that pick 2 should be used to trade in mature talent. Stocking up on youth isn't going to work for a team without an attractive culture.

I've surprisingly watched plenty of Gold Coast games this year. They're ok in the contest, but kill themselves by turning the ball over. They desperately need outside run and good skills.

Any good outside midfielders in the draft?

EDIT: just read that Brandon Ellis will join Gold Coast. Zaharakis would improve that team immediately.

Last edited:
If you say so. Don't know too much about the rest of the draft if I'm honest. Surely there's a couple of other reasonable prospects that makes it worth it? Particularly outside midfielders.

Gold Coast have plenty of inside mids. Two more makes it a little heavier on the inside and light on proper outside players with Jack Martin set to leave. It means players like Miller (who they cannot afford to lose from a cultural perspective) will struggle to get games. Even Brodie who actually wants to stay might struggle. King and Lukosius are more likely to bail next year if they are as bad as they were this year. Even if it isn't Zaharakis, I've always been under the impression that pick 2 should be used to trade in mature talent. Stocking up on youth isn't going to work for a team without an attractive culture.

I've surprisingly watched plenty of Gold Coast games this year. They're ok in the contest, but kill themselves by turning the ball over. They desperately need outside run and good skills.

Rowell won the best on ground award last year playing on a wing so he can certainly fill that role if needed. Anderson is a point of difference as a goal kicking inside mid who they could use forward for most games if they wanted to.

Rowell won the best on ground award last year playing on a wing so he can certainly fill that role if needed. Anderson is a point of difference as a goal kicking inside mid who they could use forward for most games if they wanted to.
Sure. You know the draft prospects better than I do.

I still do believe the inside/outside balance is quite off with both Rowell and Anderson likely ending up inside mids after fully transitioning to AFL football. With Ellis joining GC on a 5 year deal, it'd be great for another mature player to join them so that they can work on retaining the young players they draft.

That's what I meant.

I can tell you now GC are not trading pick their top picks for anything other than a genuine A plus super star. Not going to happen. They will pick Rowell and Anderson. As for retaining players they will back themselves to bring through the current list. Yes they will lose the odd player but they are not looking at 30 year old players to trade for with their top picks. They could simply trade for one with a latter pick.

EDIT: just read that Brandon Ellis will join Gold Coast. Zaharakis would improve that team immediately.

You really have not taken in much of what has happened with the GC in the last few years if you say they have an unattractive culture. They now have a proper training venue rather than some portables in a paddock. A good young coaching department and a stable well funded football department. There have been older players leaving because they do not want to be part of another rebuild and they will lose a few young blokes who do not settle into the GC life style but they have given themselves every chance now.

Picking a player who will give them two years of good footy and maybe win them an extra game does nothing for them.

He actually had a few games in the midfield while he was at North in the VFL. He did not really get a crack with them because his disposal was pretty inconsistent . He has always been a player with the ability to play in the middle.

What is ability to play in the middle?

The way it's going here some will be disappointed if Joe stays
Would love to see him dominating in Essendon colours for years but I think we have to accept that Joe staying has its own set of risks. Namely that he never properly gets back on the park, or he leaves in a year's time and we get shabby FA compo.

Will therefore be a little nervous if he shuns the swans this year - but would still rather that outcome.

Would love to see him dominating in Essendon colours for years but I think we have to accept that Joe staying has its own set of risks. Namely that he never properly gets back on the park, or he leaves in a year's time and we get shabby FA compo.

Will therefore be a little nervous if he shuns the swans this year - but would still rather that outcome.

unless he signs an extension which nullifies the fa threat - which might be what all the noise is about

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gold Coast have a lot of inside mids but none of them are that good. Fiorini is class but he’d be better used on the outside. Miller is good too but long term is run with type.

Gold Coast have a lot of inside mids but none of them are that good. Fiorini is class but he’d be better used on the outside. Miller is good too but long term is run with type.
Their midfield will be very good in a couple of years

Witts Rowell Anderson
Fiorini Brodie Ainsworth/Rankine

Effectively rebuilt it since Prestia left.

I can tell you now GC are not trading pick their top picks for anything other than a genuine A plus super star. Not going to happen. They will pick Rowell and Anderson. As for retaining players they will back themselves to bring through the current list. Yes they will lose the odd player but they are not looking at 30 year old players to trade for with their top picks. They could simply trade for one with a latter pick.
Apparently GC are going to be using it as part of the B Crouch trade.

Positive for the suns if he goes there

Apparently GC are going to be using it as part of the B Crouch trade.

Positive for the suns if he goes there
1 & 2 offers them a lot of trade options
But the chance to land both Rowell and Anderson (combined with the 1/2 pick up of Rankine/Luko last year) also means they don't need to be so quick to give them up
Recruiting kids with their teammates is a sound plan to get some buy in up there while they build good foundations.

Skinny player but good height with good composure and moves well, plays like Gleeson down back. Has played some midfield time aswell but looks more likely to make an AFL debut as a defender/wingman

Sounds like a Ridley too I know he can use both sides of the body that it’s hard to tell his preferred side

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back