drafting and trading 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Huh? There's a guy on our list right now with a hyphenated surname.

AFLPMAC%20ELLIS-YOLMEN%20Cameron.jpg

ok heres one from left field that won't happen, but how about trading Mckernan for Rhys Stanley?

Very similar players in a lot of ways. Stanley has lots more pace. Would only work if Rhys really wanted to come home. Would take a pork pie over Smack at this stage...

Some players from the expansion teams that I think might be good value:
GC-
Hayden Jolly
Josh Toy
Joel Wilkinson
Tom Hickey
Liam Patrick
Josh Hall

GWS-
Kurt Aylett
Josh Bruce
Rhys Cooyou
Sam Darley
Shaun Edwards
Tim Golds
Gerald Ugle

These guys don't have the star power of a Bennell or a Patton but I think they have the potential to be really good under the right circumstances. Consider that both teams have to begin reducing the size of their respective lists. Some of these guys might even be "free" as potential delistees.

Weird seeing Josh Toy's name on that list, together with the comment "don't have the star power of...". Toy was supposed to be a wunderkind, the player around whom GC were supposedly building their entire midfield. He's slid an awfully long way down the pecking order since those days. He could well be worth the investment, given the talent that he showed as a junior.

After the game against the Cats, it seems clear we need another genuine ruck man (no wonder Sando was disappointed Ivan was gone when he took over) and one or more key defenders. After Truck and Genny the cupboard is fairly bare. Who are the possibilities? Is Lynch worth a try of our current list? This area worries most about our team

Weird seeing Josh Toy's name on that list, together with the comment "don't have the star power of...". Toy was supposed to be a wunderkind, the player around whom GC were supposedly building their entire midfield. He's slid an awfully long way down the pecking order since those days. He could well be worth the investment, given the talent that he showed as a junior.
gun of a player at junior level ......amazed he hasn't developed as all thought

Grab him in a heart beat ....tough nut

I remember people saying he was a top 3-5 pick had he gone into the draft. It would be amazing if they even considered giving him up.

Slow developer or mishandled development?

I remember people saying he was a top 3-5 pick had he gone into the draft. It would be amazing if they even considered giving him up.

Slow developer or mishandled development?
Try standout #1 selection, to the extent that they got permission to take him up to Qld 12 months ahead of time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could be the case. :thumbsu:

Yes, you're definitely thinking of Swallow. He was the out and out standout for that year easily two years in advance. GC had to make some guarantee to the AFL that they would select Swallow with 1 of their first 3 picks, such that he could play for them a year early. Toy IIRC was actually a prelist player from the 4 month window of 17 year olds GC and later GWS were given access to. Matera was a similar acquisition as was Jolly, Shiel and Cameron for GWS.

Yes, you're definitely thinking of Swallow. He was the out and out standout for that year easily two years in advance. GC had to make some guarantee to the AFL that they would select Swallow with 1 of their first 3 picks, such that he could play for them a year early. Toy IIRC was actually a prelist player from the 4 month window of 17 year olds GC and later GWS were given access to. Matera was a similar acquisition as was Jolly, Shiel and Cameron for GWS.
That sounds right. I remember great debates on the D&T board over who would have gone #1 - Swallow vs Toy - had both still been in the draft (noting that Toy was one of the 12x 17yo signings).

If we lost Tip (hoping we don't) what about someone like Vickery from Richmond seems to have stalled slightly. Plus I noticed Garlett was dropped or made sub recently at Carlton wouldn't mind some more speed in the forwards.

That sounds right. I remember great debates on the D&T board over who would have gone #1 - Swallow vs Toy - had both still been in the draft (noting that Toy was one of the 12x 17yo signings).

Emma Quayle was one of Toy's biggest fans. She regularly said he would have gone top 2 in the real draft.

Most discussion now seems to be around the fact that Toy just wasn't as good as described. Good lad but no real weapons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back