Preview Round 10: Dreamtime at the G - Richmond vs Essendon, Saturday 25/05/19 @ 7.25PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't read much into Hawks vs Richmond. Hawks couldn't be more different to us in terms of style. Completely meaningless comparison other than making it clear that Richmond are no joke even with their injuries.

I actually think we are much better equipped to play against Richmond this time style wise because every game we've played over the last month the opposition teams have tried to stop us using the corridor. That includes genuinely good teams like Collingwood and Geelong. So we've had a fair bit of time to adjust our structures to find effective ways to work through the opposition aiming to take away our strengths.

The key challenge for us is to limit the turnover goals. If we can keep those down to an acceptable level and win the centre clearances then It will take us a long way towards winning the game.

Hawthorn were soft as butter. They had 116 contested possessions. We average 149.

It’ll be a tough slog. Sadly, I think Richmond win by 13 points.

Hawks had two on the bench for quite a while including McEvoy so couldn’t exploit Tigers lack of ruck.

Reckon our defence can keep them down to low score. Just need our forward line to click.

Another big game that Orazio will miss.

This is the sort of game he would have been incredibly valuable. But the Tigers are missing their fair share of absolute quality as well.

We kicked 8 goals. Francis was instrumental in 5. Brown and Smack can come back through the 2's.

I wouldn't read much into Hawks vs Richmond. Hawks couldn't be more different to us in terms of style. Completely meaningless comparison other than making it clear that Richmond are no joke even with their injuries.

I actually think we are much better equipped to play against Richmond this time style wise because every game we've played over the last month the opposition teams have tried to stop us using the corridor. That includes genuinely good teams like Collingwood and Geelong. So we've had a fair bit of time to adjust our structures to find effective ways to work through the opposition aiming to take away our strengths.

The key challenge for us is to limit the turnover goals. If we can keep those down to an acceptable level and win the centre clearances then It will take us a long way towards winning the game.

Agree with much of this. McEvoy going down was a huge loss for Hawthorn, it is of vital importance that Bellchambers (and Woosha) exploit Nankervis' absence. And, of course, learning from the Collingwood and Geelong games is essential. Not something that we've often shown the ability to do.

Going to be a great contest, cant ******* wait!!

My best mate is a fanatical don so i follow you guys closely. Got a feeling we will get your best footy on the weekend, i fear our injuries will catch up with us this time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going to be a great contest, cant ******* wait!!

My best mate is a fanatical don so i follow you guys closely. Got a feeling we will get your best footy on the weekend, i fear our injuries will catch up with us this time.
How's Garthwaite going? It'll be interesting how you structure up against our normal forward 6, we're essentially playing 3 mediums alongside Daniher with Stringer, Francis and Begley so I can't wait to see if Grimes goes to Walla or Begley, and if he does go to Walla, who goes to the Fridge.

At the other end I think Hooker takes Lynch, Ambrose takes Balta, Hurley takes Caddy/Martin. Going to be a good test for us.

How's Garthwaite going? It'll be interesting how you structure up against our normal forward 6, we're essentially playing 3 mediums alongside Daniher with Stringer, Francis and Begley so I can't wait to see if Grimes goes to Walla or Begley, and if he does go to Walla, who goes to the Fridge.

At the other end I think Hooker takes Lynch, Ambrose takes Balta, Hurley takes Caddy/Martin. Going to be a good test for us.

Id say Astbury first crack on Daniher, Broad on Begley, Grimes on Stringer, Garthwaite on Francis, Stack on Walla, Vlastuin on Baguley so he can help zone off. Edwards and Houli are our two attacking defenders, we generally win when they find alot of the ball so shutting them down is key.

Id say Astbury first crack on Daniher, Broad on Begley, Grimes on Stringer, Garthwaite on Francis, Stack on Walla, Vlastuin on Baguley so he can help zone off. Edwards and Houli are our two attacking defenders, we generally win when they find alot of the ball so shutting them down is key.
I had zero doubt that Astbury would take Daniher, he lined up on him even when Rance was playing. It's interesting, I would have thought Broad would take Stringer instead of Grimes who takes a lot of smalls.

I think the crucial one is Vlaustin. He's your intercept man with no Rance, and I'm hoping we can shut him down.

They expertly shut the ground off on us and limit our options.

But...I don't think we are a one trick pony any more.... It might look like we are playing like arse but I think it's just our way of playing plan b when we are not able to run and gun.

We are slowly gaining the ability to grind out periods of the game.

Sure it looks rubbish but if we can mix it with our sling later when/if the game opens up, we might be better for this current period

I have no idea if this makes any sense but you’re getting a like

I'd say that fits pretty well for us (Richmond).

Richmond has one 'tall' backman (Astbury) and 3 mediums (Garthwaite, Grimes & Broad).

There is flexibility of course, but in broad terms, it lines up well.

I honestly think it will be no change.

Hurley (Caddy) - Hooker (Lynch) - McNiece (Bolton)
Redman (Castagna) - Ambrose (Balta) - Saad (Baker)
Zaharakis - Merrett - Heppell
Begley (Vlaustin) - Daniher (Astbury) - Baguley (Houli)
Walla (Grimes) - Stringer (Broad) - Francis (Garthwaite)
Bellchambers - Shiel - Parish
Guelfi - McGrath - McKenna - Langford

Umm .. stack? Surely on tippa.., has he kicked a goal in a loss this year?

Umm .. stack? Surely on tippa.., has he kicked a goal in a loss this year?
I haven't actually seen a lot of Richmond but I thought Stack was playing more of a wing role.

Richmond play attacking accountable and a very watchable brand of footy, and we play errr, errr, umm agh, lets wait and see who turns up ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back