Remove this Banner Ad

Mitt Romney

Senior List
Nov 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Chelsea
There is a persistent murmur (the latest of which appears in the link beneath) that the Cats are interested in this GWS prodigy. I thought now that there was a 0.01% chance we'll land Taylor Adams (S Lucas 2013), it might be an appropriate time to start a modest discussion on this myth.

I think landing D Shiel would make me as elated as landing three J Caddy's this time last year. I haven't been following the Shiel situation closely at all, but remember the Giants making it absolutely clear he's not for sale a couple of weeks ago. But I suspect we all have a healthy distrust for what clubs publicly say nowadays.

Does anybody think there's any substance in this? Cats are smooth operators when it comes to flying under the radar during trade week, and there's been so little noise coming out of the Cattery the past few weeks that it wouldn't surprise me at all if we came out of seemingly nowhere to nab a big fish we'd been quietly working on all this time. This is why I have (even) a semblance of faith in securing Shiel, as ridiculous as it might seem.

For those who ceebs clicking on the link, basically says that perhaps two or all of Varcoe, West and pick 15 might get us over the line for Shiel who is a perfect fit post Bartel/ Kelly/ Johnson yaddah yaddah yaddah.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-16/trades-that-should-be-made

I like Sheils but we need an insider. I don't think he's gotten a hard ball in his life.

Does anybody know anything about Shiel's situation though? I waded three pages into the GWS board and couldn't find a thread about him/ this situation. Moreover does anybody know why AFL.com.au's "expert analysts" would link him to us, and only us as well as us to him and only him (other than "slow news day"?

Varcoe, West and pick 15?

That's too much imo, Wells could draft in a potential 200 gamer with that pick and then we also lose one x-factor and a back-up ruck who's still 25yrs.

Come on now Bobby_ he's only done it what like 4 times now? Not a very good track record IMO :p

I was sufficiently intrigued to look into this rumour and what has happened here, is a journalist (Rodgers), who I have never heard of, was tight to a deadline and had to fill in 100 words. Now poor old Rodgo was hard up against it with the Adams and Shaw deals falling through earlier in the week. Now far be it for me to criticse anyway for a little sleight of hand to get out of tight spot on deadline but he has just pulled this Shiels and Geelong from his backside. Now rumours are pretty worthless, but this is not even a rumour.

October 2:

The GIANTS have responded to a report in today's Australian newspaper about Dylan Shiel. General Manager Football Graeme Allan said Shiel, who has played 33 games and finished fourth in the Kevin Sheedy Medal, was a required player. "Dylan is a very talented and highly valued player who is contracted till the end of 2015 and will be remaining with the GIANTS," Allan said.

http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2013-10-02/shiel-staying-with-giants

Close thread?

I was sufficiently intrigued to look into this rumour and what has happened here, is a journalist (Rodgers), who I have never heard of, was tight to a deadline and had to fill in 100 words. Now poor old Rodgo was hard up against it with the Adams and Shaw deals falling through earlier in the week. Now far be it for me to criticse anyway for a little sleight of hand to get out of tight spot on deadline but he has just pulled this Shiels and Geelong from his backside. Now rumours are pretty worthless, but this is not even a rumour.

You're right, it's not a rumour. Everything he says about Sheils and Geelong is just his opinion. He never says 'sources say Varcoe and the 15th pick would get the deal done'.

The only thing id suspect about GWS , is that as much as they sprout the long term with kids , the last two years may just have bruised a bit of their confidence and some improvement in 2014 is a must. The procurement of Mumford and Shaw will help. And as much as Shiel is a gun in that side slingshots, they may feel that ( in comparison to GC ) they just dont have enough quality to compensate for churn and burn. That almighty List manger TerryW , was quick to point out that GC have 7 R1 type player in the pipeline. GWS must be starting to really question if they have the list the need. Perhaps a step backwards , 2 forward is what is on their mind.

Adams would suit our need better but of course we if one could get him for the right price id do it. He is outside , but he is outside like a Dangerfield. He has a strong body that will get stronger , in 2 years time Id suspect he will be an inside and outside player who may well be more dangerous than Adams. He is a tackle breaker and a goal kicker

Having said that , there never any assurance that he become someone of Dangerfields quality.To exchange our R1 and Varcoe and West would be too much. It wouldn't be cutting of your nose to spite your face , it would be cutting of your leg to spite your toenail.

If they throw a pick 30/40 back our way I'd do it.

Think it's rubbish as melbourne tried to get sheils with pick 2 and they declined. Plus that article is all just opinion. He is miles better than Adams. Read through a few old reports he was almost a lock to go #1 and hasn't done anything wrong since. Pick 15 and one of West or Varcoe would be done in a second

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the fantasy land of this month where unicorns roam free, I'd take Shiel for 15 and a player like West or varcoe. They need bigger bodies desperately and as much as the future is bright getting pumped for another 2 seasons will crush their psyche.gws can afford to shed a player of quality to help that.

But they will want overs.. And it will cost too many unicorns...

Go Catters

Varcoe, West and pick 15?

That's too much imo, Wells could draft in a potential 200 gamer with that pick and then we also lose one x-factor and a back-up ruck who's still 25yrs.

Could also draft another Kane Tenace:eek:

"Hawthorn are in the box seat to retain Lance." L Pickering 2013
"Gary really wants to stay at Geelong, his heart is here" L Pickering 2010

Never say never

Who is Shiel's agent?

"Hawthorn are in the box seat to retain Lance." L Pickering 2013
"Gary really wants to stay at Geelong, his heart is here" L Pickering 2010

Never say never
Not the best comparisons. Shiel is contracted and GWS is fully within its rights to say they won't trade him under any circumstances.

I'm sure if we offered the earth we could make it happen. But 15 and West or any other similar combo is not even in the ball park given their stance on it.

We ain't lucky enough to ship off West (not AFL level) Varcoe (inconsistent average player) and pick 15 for a guy as good as Shiel. 20 year old guns that will perform for 10 years don't get gifted to you for left overs.
People that think its overs for him are tripping hard.
Quality over quantity.

Does anybody think there's any substance in this? Cats are smooth operators when it comes to flying under the radar during trade week,
Do you think? I think Cats have been perceived to have flown under the radar only because they have been inactive (because we didn't need to be active), with the exception of 2012.

Wells has been exceptional in maximising Draft opportunities, but when it comes to trades I think Cats have been lack lustre. The way we handled the Boak saga was embarrassing. Snaring Caddy was a great coup.

I gotta agree.
Great at the draft but not great in trade week, but we have not been required to trade hard recently but i think times and our list has changed.
Look at what the Hawks have done of late. Some if not most of the guys they have headhunted have made a big impression in winning a flag.
Gunston, Burgoyne, Hale, Gibson, Dew, Guerra, Lake etc.
Sydney have also been great but you gotta get busy and i dont think we have been busy enough.
Im hoping we have something up our sleeve because surely there is cap room.

I gotta agree.
Great at the draft but not great in trade week, but we have not been required to trade hard recently but i think times and our list has changed.
Look at what the Hawks have done of late. Some if not most of the guys they have headhunted have made a big impression in winning a flag.
Gunston, Burgoyne, Hale, Gibson, Dew, Guerra, Lake etc.
Sydney have also been great but you gotta get busy and i dont think we have been busy enough.
Im hoping we have something up our sleeve because surely there is cap room.
The Hawks' "modus operandi" in quietly, but slickly executing strategic trades is a perfect case study.

1. Identify a deficiency in the team, and
2. Address deficiency by trading. Examples: Need a quality full back and KPD. Trade for Lake and Gibson; Need a quality Ruck = McEvoy; Need a tallish forward to compliment Roughead and provide insurance in case Buddy goes = Gunston.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back