Official Team Thread East Side Hawks :: Season 31 :: Festival of the Biggie! Headliner: por_please_ya!

Remove this Banner Ad

Im the reverse.
The actual name is fine, the logo is pretty good.
My issue is that the change as alienated current club legends and former players.
You got to wonder to what end.
Former players, I don't think really matters. They aren't Hawks anymore, but of course you'd rather not alienate them If it can be helped.

Current players? Yeah, not great.

Shoving the Furies in a museum would've been far kinder than what actually eventuated tbf. :p

If you want that, rejoin them and kick out everyone you don't like and turn it into what it was.

One thing I'm very clear on is my say over anything furies related rightly ends the day I leave the club

Just to clarify manangatang, I'm not saying the league legends are a bunch of soft utensils. More that I do respect the work they've done, even if this place is pointless, as it set the foundations for me to come and have some fun, so I dont generally like coming in, stomping all over the legends opinions and stating my serious thoughts like I have tonight. Because I haven't been around as long, and in my mind, have less of a say (which also in my mind, is bullshit. Everyone should get a say if they are engaged).

Conflicting thoughts sorry.
Nah everyone gets a say for sure.

I wouldn’t dismiss someone suggesting someone’s anus is bleeding or someone supporting the rebrand at all. I probably just see the other side of it a bit more because I’ve been involved in cataloguing the history of our club and feel like it probably means something (and the contact I’ve had with past MBD players who have moved on/stopped giving a * about the league in its current form validates that).

If you want that, rejoin them and kick out everyone you don't like and turn it into what it was.

One thing I'm very clear on is my say over anything furies related rightly ends the day I leave the club
I don't disagree with what you're saying - the incumbents can do what they want, that's their right.

It doesn't mean I won't express my opinion on it as a stakeholder in both the competition and as someone that spent a significant amount of time here. It is a disappointing decision to a lot of people. Those people aren't the ones developing the current fabric of the club but it doesn't make their feelings toward it invalid, nor should they have to repress those feelings.

Nah everyone gets a say for sure.

I wouldn’t dismiss someone suggesting someone’s anus is bleeding or someone supporting the rebrand at all. I probably just see the other side of it a bit more because I’ve been involved in cataloguing the history of our club and feel like it probably means something (and the contact I’ve had with past MBD players who have moved on/stopped giving a fu** about the league in its current form validates that).
No doubt you're seeing it with eyes I can't, and no-one can deny you've done a bang up job at the Demons.

I suppose at the end of the day I just didn't think preserving their history and calling themselves the Phoenix are mutually exclusive, and I still don't, but I see how the history could be swept aside.

If you'll indulge me in a bit of edgy highschooler role play, nothing really means anything. Meaning isn't a law of nature, we created it, so I'm operating on different understanding to begin with so perhaps I'm not giving the respect (if any, I don't know) the history actually deserves.

Had they called themselves something like the Gove Goannas then I'd understand the loss of history a bit more. But it's still east side, and Phoenix feels like a semi-organic evolution. There's room for the history to be celebrated, maybe a naive point of view, but I believe it.

The loss of current players is highly regrettable though.

That wasn't meant to sound so cringy, smug or self satisfied.
You smug, cringy, self-satisfied person.

I initially said "bastard" but I see you haven't self identified with that and it's my new season resolution to not be hurtful to others. :hearts:

I don't disagree with what you're saying - the incumbents can do what they want, that's their right.

It doesn't mean I won't express my opinion on it as a stakeholder in both the competition and as someone that spent a significant amount of time here. It is a disappointing decision to a lot of people. Those people aren't the ones developing the current fabric of the club but it doesn't make their feelings toward it invalid, nor should they have to repress those feelings.

Why? If you want to sustain remember when, join the club with all the old soldiers and just talk about the good old days.

Issue is you have all left, and want to talk about new stuff. So why should the existing team maintain a legacy you can't be ****ed maintaining yourself?

(Btw I'm not talking you you. I know you give zero *s about the furies and we copped no s**t from you)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

it's my new season resolution to not be hurtful to others. :hearts:
tenor.gif

Why? If you want to sustain remember when, join the club with all the old soldiers and just talk about the good old days.

Issue is you have all left, and want to talk about new stuff. So why should the existing team maintain a legacy you can't be f’ed maintaining yourself?

(Btw I'm not talking you you. I know you give zero fu**s about the furies and we copped no sh*t from you)
I do give a * about the Furies, albeit my connection with them doesn't run as deep as it does with either the Demons or the Hawks given my histories at both clubs.

In fact, pertinently, and counter my own argument here, I was one of the earlier opposition posters to jump ship to join the Furies because I enjoyed the players and environment. I didn't envisage my own actions or the actions of the team to adopt me as radicalising the history of the club (potentially because it wasn't my prerogative to enforce said change - we could quite easily have never joined forces had that not been the Furies want) but that absolutely would have, in hindsight. I think the poignant point though is that had people been critical of the decision it would have been something I partially would have to have owned and lived with the consequences of. That said, if I felt joining the Furies would adversely affect the Furies (ie. enacting that change) I never would have.

Great respect for all current clubs and their histories, but obviously the feelings of attachment (not ownership, nor have I ever professed as much) remain for the three that I played for. I think if you changed your name to the Fighting Frozen Ducks I would've taken similar umbrage at similar you to what I have here.

EDIT: Actually, if you did rebrand yourselves the Fighting Frozen Ducks I'd probably make my peace with that one particular name. As far as "grasping at air" suggestions that I've ever made go its one of my favourites.

Last edited:
I do give a fu** about the Furies, albeit my connection with them doesn't run as deep as it does with either the Demons or the Hawks given my histories at both clubs.

In fact, pertinently, and counter my own argument here, I was one of the earlier opposition posters to jump ship to join the Furies because I enjoyed the players and environment. I didn't envisage my own actions or the actions of the team to adopt me as radicalising the history of the club (potentially because it wasn't my prerogative to enforce said change - we could quite easily have never joined forces had that not been the Furies want) but that absolutely would have, in hindsight. I think the poignant point though is that had people been critical of the decision it would have been something I partially would have to have owned and lived with the consequences of. That said, if I felt joining the Furies would adversely affect the Furies (ie. enacting that change) I never would have.

Great respect for all current clubs and their histories, but obviously the feelings of attachment (not ownership, nor have I ever professed as much) remain for the three that I played for. I think if you changed your name to the Fighting Frozen Ducks I would've taken similar umbrage at similar you to what I have here.

EDIT: Actually, if you did rebrand yourselves the Fighting Frozen Ducks I'd probably make my peace with that one particular name. As far as "grasping at air" suggestions that I've ever made go its one of my favourites.

You can dislike all you want. As I said, I don't dislike this rebrand. Do you think you get the right to veto or demand a reversal however?

Do you think you get the right to veto or demand a reversal however?
As I've said a number of times, no. That's the prerogative of the incumbent captain and whatever support network they set up within their club.

I personally wouldn't have been so quick to distance myself from fifteen years of history nor sever ties with that heritage, and I do believe it was a self-serving decision. I do also believe, as I've also reiterated a number of times, that interested parties that feel they have been impacted by the decision may express their feelings on it validly. Rebranding is a conscious decision with its own accompanying association to the value (or lack thereof) of what existed beforehand and as such its absolutely valid for those that have been integral to building the foundation of the club to feel and express if they feel betrayed by it in whatever fashion they please, be it via exodus or simply posting about it.

As I've said a number of times, no. That's the prerogative of the incumbent captain and whatever support network they set up within their club.

I personally wouldn't have been so quick to distance myself from fifteen years of history nor sever ties with that heritage, and I do believe it was a self-serving decision. I do also believe, as I've also reiterated a number of times, that interested parties that feel they have been impacted by the decision may express their feelings on it validly. Rebranding is a conscious decision with its own accompanying association to the value (or lack thereof) of what existed beforehand and as such its absolutely valid for those that have been integral to building the foundation of the club to feel and express if they feel betrayed by it in whatever fashion they please, be it via exodus or simply posting about it.

Exodus? Two people leaving is an exodus?

I mean.... Some of you are saying we aren't the same club anymore because we have changed our name but last time I checked I hadn't grown three heads and Chip hadn't started speaking in an Australian accent. 'A rose by any other name' comes to mind.

We kept East Side. We kept the avian link. Another reason we did this (apart from the AFL connection) which hasn't been touched on was because we felt like our identity had evolved from Hawks of the past and the negative connotation associated with it. The following is my personal view btw, I can't speak for the others, but when I started in S25 I noticed that Hawks were known as the 'aggressive' and 'unfriendly' club in media threads and I hated the stereotype that was given to us, because as time went on I didn't feel it applied anymore. A legacy left by people who had come and gone before AND after me. And the team kept evolving. Players with big personalities and profiles came and went. If I look at the team I was in in S25, it's SO bloody different to the team we have now. You could argue that other teams have had similar and significant personnel changes. Bears comes to mind. But other teams are way more stagnant in my eyes.
My point is, I didn't see us as that aggressive team that they used to say we all were. This was one aspect of the rebrand that was important to me and why I was happy to support it.

I can see and understand the pov of the 'legends' who have been around for a while and feel threatened and upset that their history and hard work in the club has been ruined, but this is not what we stand for... Your legacies will always be valued: in our award ceremonies, in our statistics, in our memories, in our teams of the century, and it will always be called the Biggie-est Cup! That will never change. Any contribution from a past Hawk will be remembered by all of us and passed to the next generation of Phoenix.

My next point, and something Broken mentioned, is that we're in a FANTASY league on an internet forum. ;) And yes even I forget this at times... Some people say "lighten up, this place is too serious" and then other people say "ugh * expansion, I hate change". I'm not saying nobody can have an opinion and two cents about this, or feel a connection or passion for the Hawks as their previous club. Just consider the bigger picture I guess and what's more important - the name of the club, or the people in it and what you achieved when you were there/the friends made along the way?

I concede the organisation of this WAS sloppy and could have been executed much better and we have acknowledged this several times. It is something we regret. It can't be undone but we hope to build bridges moving forward. I am saddened by the two players who are leaving us, I really valued their contributions and will miss them. True league legends.

I'm proud of this fantasy club and the people who made it; I started as a Hawk, and will die as a Phoenix.
only to be reborn from the ashes and become a Bomber.... Wait, what?!

tumblr_inline_mt2t6ajocr1qlvgo0.gif

Anyway sorry this was ten pages long, TL;DR and all that. It's nearly 1.30 am and I'm not very coherent at this hour, my thoughts just came tumbling out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back