Official Team Thread East Side Hawks :: Season 31 :: Festival of the Biggie! Headliner: por_please_ya!

Remove this Banner Ad

I think you’ve misinterpreted the thread. He was involved and approved the decision then decided this was a good time to step back.
Actually, I'm not the one misinterpreting this. You are.

Do you think Biggie would have retired if the team was still the Hawks? Or do you think it's pure coincidence that he retired immediately after the change was announced?

I went through a rebrand at the Bombers and was also told about the intent before it happened. Like Biggie, I understood why people wanted to do it and also reluctantly approved the decision, despite not liking it at all.

Once the rebrand actually happened I felt an immediate detachment. I didn't actually retire, but stopped posting and asked the captain not to name me.
It has nothing to do with me being a Bombers supporter either. If it was about AFL club loyalties I'd have never played for The Furies or The Demons.

To me, the Hawks have been an iconic team since I joined and Biggie, Wally and co were easily my favourite adversaries in the early days. The Hawks were a powerhouse. I'd have been happy to play for the Hawks, despite the apparent AFL connection.

You clearly can't see things from the point of view of the people who have been in the comp since those days. I totally get that. To me, this is a very sad day. First I see the end of the iconic Hawks, and then I see the retirement of one of my all-time favourite posters immediately after the announcement.

I just hope that Biggie will change his mind and stick around.

To end on a positive though, despite how much I dislike the rebrand, the logo and guernseys are really good.
And the club is still an enjoyable team to play against.

Congrats to por_please_ya on the B&F and to eth-dog and other top vote getters on a great season

If this were a real sports team/organisation then I would understand the reaction. But it's the internet and it's a fantasy game. If the name of the team was the only thing keeping you around then I feel like perhaps you weren't that bothered about the actual point of this place. That said, it's not my place to tell people what the point of this place is. I get that and I do understand their point of view.

There's constantly new posters coming in, and a portion of them drop off every season. Perhaps if more clubs were willing to let their newer, more engaged posters have a say on the clubs future and look then maybe we might see more rookies stick around for longer.

If we want new posters to feel like this is a place for them we have to be flexible enough to allow these changes to happen without much resistance and complaining (from outside the clubs four walls)

Could this have been handled better? Most probably, but I believe this is the way forward for expanding the league. Not clinging to fabricated pasts.

That said, I do reckon there are a couple of teams I wouldn't agree with a re-branding of. 'History' is important, but we're not going to move forward if we can't let go of anything.

I'm not saying the old guard don't get any say either, they absolutely should. But I get a strong vibe of unwillingness to change in the league. There needs to be a middle ground between drastic overhauls and stuck in stasis.

The history still exists. A name change doesn't erase that. What's more important, the name of a fantasy team or the friends you made along the way?

If this were a real sports team/organisation then I would understand the reaction. But it's the internet and it's a fantasy game. If the name of the team was the only thing keeping you around then I feel like perhaps you weren't that bothered about the actual point of this place. That said, it's not my place to tell people what the point of this place is. I get that and I do understand their point of view.

There's constantly new posters coming in, and a portion of them drop off every season. Perhaps if more clubs were willing to let their newer, more engaged posters have a say on the clubs future and look then maybe we might see more rookies stick around for longer.

If we want new posters to feel like this is a place for them we have to be flexible enough to allow these changes to happen without much resistance and complaining (from outside the clubs four walls)

Could this have been handled better? Most probably, but I believe this is the way forward for expanding the league. Not clinging to fabricated pasts.

That said, I do reckon there are a couple of teams I wouldn't agree with a re-branding of. 'History' is important, but we're not going to move forward if we can't let go of anything.

I'm not saying the old guard don't get any say either, they absolutely should. But I get a strong vibe of unwillingness to change in the league. There needs to be a middle ground between drastic overhauls and stuck in stasis.

The history still exists. A name change doesn't erase that. What's more important, the name of a fantasy team or the friends you made along the way?

Only read the first paragraph of this but it's an internet game countless people have invested countless hours into for 15+ years.

Spoken like a true new poster :thumbsu:

Hopefully this rebrand will be good reason for you to stick around.

Only read the first paragraph of this but it's an internet game countless people have invested countless hours into for 15+ years.
So every new poster that joins has to follow the gatekeepers rules? Gotchya.

I'm not saying tear everything old down. I'm just saying, if we don't let the people that will be the future of this league, shape it in some substantive form, we very well could lose them. I'm also not saying that my beliefs are gospel.

Hey, maybe none of this would happen if we just allowed expansion?

I'm not saying tear everything old down. I'm just saying, if we don't let the people that will be the future of this league, shape it in some substantive form, we very well could lose them. I'm also not saying that my beliefs are gospel.

That's not what I said and you know that's not what I said.

Actually, I'm not the one misinterpreting this. You are.

Do you think Biggie would have retired if the team was still the Hawks? Or do you think it's pure coincidence that he retired immediately after the change was announced?

I went through a rebrand at the Bombers and was also told about the intent before it happened. Like Biggie, I understood why people wanted to do it and also reluctantly approved the decision, despite not liking it at all.

Once the rebrand actually happened I felt an immediate detachment. I didn't actually retire, but stopped posting and asked the captain not to name me.
It has nothing to do with me being a Bombers supporter either. If it was about AFL club loyalties I'd have never played for The Furies or The Demons.

To me, the Hawks have been an iconic team since I joined and Biggie, Wally and co were easily my favourite adversaries in the early days. The Hawks were a powerhouse. I'd have been happy to play for the Hawks, despite the apparent AFL connection.

You clearly can't see things from the point of view of the people who have been in the comp since those days. I totally get that. To me, this is a very sad day. First I see the end of the iconic Hawks, and then I see the retirement of one of my all-time favourite posters immediately after the announcement.

I just hope that Biggie will change his mind and stick around.

To end on a positive though, despite how much I dislike the rebrand, the logo and guernseys are really good.
And the club is still an enjoyable team to play against.

Congrats to por_please_ya on the B&F and to eth-dog and other top vote getters on a great season

Ah. I assumed you were saying he wasn’t informed.

These are views which are completely fair - and the test of time will be how the team is in the next seasons. My role will partly be to show people like yourself that this will be a success.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spoken like a true new poster :thumbsu:

Hopefully this rebrand will be good reason for you to stick around.
New poster. Why thank you.

Newish would be more accurate. Started S28 so yeah, still fairly new. But not 'new' new.

That's not what I said and you know that's not what I said.
Fair enough, but it does read as though you're saying the newer breed that are heavily engaged and our best chance at growing the league get less of a say than those that were silly enough to spend 15 years here and don't really engage much anymore. That just doesn't make much sense to me.

The hawks have had their go, now it's a new chapter with new blood and they have the chance to build their own history like you ancient bastards did. You've had 15+ years. Let some other people create history and make mistakes like im sure you all did.

Fair enough, but it does read as though you're saying the newer breed that are heavily engaged and our best chance at growing the league get less of a say than those that were silly enough to spend 15 years here and don't really engage much anymore. That just doesn't make much sense to me.

The hawks have had their go, now it's a new chapter with new blood and they have the chance to build their own history like you ancient bastards did. You've had 15+ years. Let some other people create history and make mistakes like im sure you all did.

Not sure where I've said that mate.

What I inferred from your post was that you couldn't understand the reaction. I think the reaction is pretty understandable given the hours that have gone into building the Hawks.

Newish would be more accurate. Started S28 so yeah, still fairly new. But not 'new' new.

in saying that, I do fully understand the emotional ties 15 years can create.

Not sure where I've said that mate.

What I inferred from your post was that you couldn't understand the reaction. I think the reaction is pretty understandable given the hours that have gone into building the Hawks.
no I do understand the reaction. It just feels like this place will never actually grow sometimes and it feels, personally, that the reluctance to let go is the issue.

Ah. I assumed you were saying he wasn’t informed.

These are views which are completely fair - and the test of time will be how the team is in the next seasons. My role will partly be to show people like yourself that this will be a success.
Yeah, the Bandits and the Wolves were a complete success too.

To be fair though, if pushing league legends into retirement is a measure of success then the Phoenix is already an incredibly successful club :thumbsu:

Someone else I have heard from recently used the word ‘gatekeeper’.

This is interesting to me. Probably need to be inside the tent.

no I do understand the reaction. It just feels like this place will never actually grow sometimes and it feels, personally, that the reluctance to let go is the issue.
How will the rebrand allow ‘the place to grow’?

The ancient bastards cobbled together twenty interested players and built something from there, they didn’t destructively rebadge something that had existed as a powerhouse for fifteen years to pander to their own ego and sense of self worth.

This move has already ostracised a pillar of the competition and a person who is one of the two all time most important people to the Hawks being what they are now and what they have been for FIFTEEN years. I think it would be exceptionally galling for an opposition captain to seemingly be more informed on what’s happening with the fruits of your hard labour and devotion to building the team than what he is.

I have enormous respect for Biggie , he was the biggest reason I spent five years at the Hawks and I’m certain he’d have continued to play for the side as long as it existed. This bastardisation of it is not what he devoted his time and energy for and even if he hasn’t expressed it directly to the incumbents he would be bitterly disappointed at what East Side now is. As are most people that were custodians of this successful club.

Bring back the Team Pump name.
I would, but I’m scared that reverting the name would shrink the league back to its season 1 form.

I’m not sure how this works.

How will the rebrand allow ‘the place to grow’?
I don't know if this re-brand will. I couldn't say, but I have explained why I believe it/others could.

Letting this new guard that are very engaged take the reins somewhat will allow some (can't speak for all) to feel like they have more ownership, for lack of a better term, of their teams. The same way the old guard built teams up over however many years and are now, in my opinion, rubbed the wrong way because their ownership is being threatened.

Again, I'm not saying the league legends need to lie down and let their work crumble around them, but perhaps the ones that have taken more of a backseat should be more accepting of the fact that the newer posters want the opportunity to forge their own histories just as they did and maybe even nurture that impulse. It'll make for longer lasting relationships with the league if posters feel they have the opportunity to shape it. I could very well be wrong though.

Honestly, who is seriously bleeding from the anus at this name change? No merchandising agreements are affected, no membership base is affected, no locale is affected by the change, no television rights are screwed up, who gives a s**t. This is all just make believe, all the offended at this change is hilarious.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back