EDFL Div 1 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair comment I’m not privy to the ins and outs.

I’d assume playing in a grand final is a big incentive to all players. No offence can’t see hillside doing that in awhile.

I’d personally sacrifice $$ for a potential flag with mates but that’s just me

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
That’s exactly right with regards to sacrificing $$ to play in a flag with mates HOWEVER that is based on staying at your “home” or current club NOT transferring to another club. Let’s be truthful here in most cases like this (and not just alluding to EK) it’s $$$ that gets them to move to an opposition club but playing finals is also another reason in part I agree.

You might be right on Hillside but who knows. Can’t see them playing in a GF in season 2021 as they appear to be going for youth but enthusiasm can drive you into a bright future. TBH they probably need a Bongetti type player.

I feel Hill and Colletta will both be in the forward line before Calder. Well if I was coach they would be. With the forward power at their disposal I wouldn’t be Suprised if calder plays 2’s.

I hear you on this but there is no way a player like Calder who was playing higher footy at WRFL div1 can drop a level and then be expected to play B Grade reserves footy. That’s a huge drop and I can’t see him hanging around playing at 12. Doesn’t make a lot of sense to me at all or anyone else for that matter. Why waste his time..

So the salary cap is $80k!!

Let’s be realistic EK are no chance in hell of staying under that with all the players they have.

Put it this way if you pay your 10 best players $300 a game (I can guarantee there’s players on a lot more then that)

The last 12 players would need to all play for $100 a game and the more you pay your better players, this becomes less and less!!

Now someone please explain to me how your going to get more then half your senior side with all these recruits to play for $100 or less a game?

That's the question I'd exist a journo to ask... instead we got a puff piece. Appreciate the answer from Bashen as well and as I said it's going to be an interesting season to watch
So the salary cap is $80k!!

Let’s be realistic EK are no chance in hell of staying under that with all the players they have.

Put it this way if you pay your 10 best players $300 a game (I can guarantee there’s players on a lot more then that)

The last 12 players would need to all play for $100 a game and the more you pay your better players, this becomes less and less!!

Now someone please explain to me how your going to get more then half your senior side with all these recruits to play for $100 or less a game?

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Is he a walk up start every week. That’s the issue being such a high points he might be squeezed out with all the other recruits. Still waiting to see if players recruited in 2020 drop points. My understanding is only 2019 players will drop 2 points in 2021. So if you were a 4 pointer in 2019 you will be a 2 pointer in 2021. I stand to be corrected.

I understood any player on the list new or old if they were on the list by the date specified drops a point. I also stand to be corrected who knows.

I hear you on this but there is no way a player like Calder who was playing higher footy at WRFL div1 can drop a level and then be expected to play B Grade reserves footy. That’s a huge drop and I can’t see him hanging around playing at 12. Doesn’t make a lot of sense to me at all or anyone else for that matter. Why waste his time..

He came from St. Albans, lets be honest they probably would be worse then the top 4 teams in this division.

If any player wants to walk due to playing reserves for example Because they don’t make the cut so be it. Can’t keep s them there if they want to leave. Rather people leave if they don’t want to be at the club.

Last edited:
That's the question I'd exist a journo to ask... instead we got a puff piece. Appreciate the answer from Bashen as well and as I said it's going to be an interesting season to watch

Yeah fair comment Roxy, glad we can have a civil convo, you don’t tend to accuse like others you more or less question, and to be honest fair question and unfortunately I can’t give you an answer sorry mate.

All I’m saying is covid has probably knocked a lot of players expectations on funds back into reality. Everyone is taking a hit $$ wise on their day to day jobs why would football be any differnt. If anything the financial hit from football should be greater then day to day jobs.

If players want to go to work instead of play due to it so be it. Don’t be Suprised a lot of players accross all teams pulling the pin so they can work rather then play.

Last edited:
Good point. Less sponsorship money will hurt all clubs so this might actually be the best thing to happen. Become true "play for the jumper and your mate" instead of all about the $$. It might be the return to good or fashion local footy.

I just hope the footy is better then that being served up at AFL level right now because that's putrid
Yeah fair comment Roxy, glad we can have a civil convo, you don’t tend to accuse like others you more or less question, and to be honest fair question and unfortunately I can’t give you an answer sorry mate.

All I’m saying is covid has probably knocked a lot of players expectations on funds back into reality. Everyone is taking a hit $$ wise on their day to day jobs why would football be any differnt. If anything the financial hit from football should be greater then day to day jobs.

If players want to go to work instead of play due to it so be it. Don’t be Suprised a lot of players accross all teams pulling the pin so they can work rather then play.

86abcc992370f7b4fdbfb06af3150c60.jpg

Coach stepping down

Hereing things not that smooth at rupo and fair few senior players arent convinced edfl is for them
Might be some players on move

Good point. Less sponsorship money will hurt all clubs so this might actually be the best thing to happen. Become true "play for the jumper and your mate" instead of all about the $$. It might be the return to good or fashion local footy.

I just hope the footy is better then that being served up at AFL level right now because that's putrid

We can only hope

Honestly a really good comment and not a crack at EK at all mate, fair question. Wish I could answer it I have no idea, obviously not privy to that sort of thing.

If I had to guess though I assume the GAp between top tier players and bottom tier now would be a lot less $ wise then it would have been pre covid.

Can’t see any players getting above $500 a game now with a cap so small. Surprised if many clubs could even pay big numbers for players with the amount of sponsors and businesses pulling pins and going out of business due to covid. Probably easier now more then ever to compete with the bigger clubs financially.

Bashen , I think it's great that you support EK and will back them, so you should mate , it's your club,, but by your own admission you have NO IDEA regarding the running of the club. When is the question going to be answered about the Salary Cap as there is no way in hell that EK are anywhere near being under, therefore everyone in the EDFL think the club is a joke and cheats

Bashen , I think it's great that you support EK and will back them, so you should mate , it's your club,, but by your own admission you have NO IDEA regarding the running of the club. When is the question going to be answered about the Salary Cap as there is no way in hell that EK are anywhere near being under, therefore everyone in the EDFL think the club is a joke and cheats

Mate I don’t care what anyone thinks, your asking me a question I cannot answer, how can any club pay the numbers your “throwing out there” in covid.

I heard westy were paying church and Claire over 1k a game, hillside doing the same for hish and volpato...I’m sure other clubs the same... are Westy cheats because they signed like 3-4 premier players and still retaining the rest? No they are not.

We were paying 50k in 2018 to field our side before Pat came on.

Is it so hard to imagine all those players took a pay cut and we fit in day 7x4 pointers, when we could pay 30k more currently in 2021 more then we did in 2018.

Your calling us cheats and the 2021 season hasn’t even started you don’t know who stays and goes due to covid. No one does.

You will Be surprised players shopping around at clubs and getting shut down due to clubs not having the coin these days. Like I said in a previous post. Probably easier to sign players now then before because no one could pay what they were last year.

Anyway just some food for thought, let’s talk about your club survey, who do you follow?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see the EDFL has released a top 20 div 2 players I can’t see it but would be interested too see makes a div 1 list
Would have to be players on a list in 2019 and not included airport west crazyburn or Sunbury
Would anyone have a stab

I'll give it a crack.... here is my top 20

Harley short
Jack elliott
Jamie Grant
Ryan Micallef
Brandon McLarty
Kajan Gn
Adrian Mackinnon
Hayden Farrelly
Michael Farrelly
Luke Capuano
Jay Barbera
Tommy baker
Trav cooke
Zac Reichelt
Dale Rigby
John Colaidis
Anth omogrosso
Jack Omogrosso
Ben stone
Eyad hegazy

I see the EDFL has released a top 20 div 2 players I can’t see it but would be interested too see makes a div 1 list
Would have to be players on a list in 2019 and not included airport west crazyburn or Sunbury
Would anyone have a stab

He came from St. Albans, lets be honest they probably would be worse then the top 4 teams in this division.

If any player wants to walk due to playing reserves for example Because they don’t make the cut so be it. Can’t keep s them there if they want to leave. Rather people leave if they don’t want to be at the club.

Funniest post I’ve read on here for a while. Your saying that a team that finished 6th in division 1 of the WRFL wouldn’t be a top 4 side in this division you are dreaming. St. Albans to be honest would be dominated this division. 🤦🏼🤦🏼🤦🏼

I'll give it a crack.... here is my top 20

Harley short
Jack elliott
Jamie Grant
Ryan Micallef
Brandon McLarty
Kajan Gn
Adrian Mackinnon
Hayden Farrelly
Michael Farrelly
Luke Capuano
Jay Barbera
Tommy baker
Trav cooke
Zac Reichelt
Dale Rigby
John Colaidis
Anth omogrosso
Jack Omogrosso
Ben stone
Eyad hegazy

Lolllll good comment

Start again, good thread to start mate, stab in the dark from me, has to have crazyburn though based on 2019, no particular order:

Josh Grabowski
Thomas Baravi
Rob Castello
Jack Elliot
Dion Hill
Ash Arrowsmith
Ben Caluzzi
Tim Matson
Omar Saad
Anthony Prestia
Anthony Liberatore
Victor Micalef
Lachie Rayner
Fitaxx
Nick Grabowski
Brock Chircop
Billy Morrison
Stephen Boyall
Ben Fynch
Jesse Davies

Would anyone have a stab

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Funniest post I’ve read on here for a while. Your saying that a team that finished 6th in division 1 of the WRFL wouldn’t be a top 4 side in this division you are dreaming. St. Albans to be honest would be dominated this division. 🤦🏼🤦🏼🤦🏼

That’s exactly what I’m saying and a lot of people here will probably agree. You obviously haven’t watched much WRFL. Wrfl div 1 is a very average level of football apart from top 5 teams being deer park, Altona, hoppers, spots wood and werribee.

The rest are extremely mediocre and I believe Tulla, EK, WM and APW will give the rest a run for their money.

Tulla held their own against Altona in the practice game and EK dominated CS until both team took everyone off at half time and played their 2’s. Even still EK won the game.

And yes I also believe Bongetti, Hill and Colletta are better all round Forwards then Calder. Just my opinion mate and I’m sure many here would agree.

Would anyone have a stab

Here’s my top 10

Josh Grabowski
Rob Castello
Ben Caluzzi
Ash Arrowsmith
Dion Hill
Prestia
Baravi
Liberatore
Nathan Lyons
Omar Saad

Mate I don’t care what anyone thinks, your asking me a question I cannot answer, how can any club pay the numbers your “throwing out there” in covid.

I heard westy were paying church and Claire over 1k a game, hillside doing the same for hish and volpato...I’m sure other clubs the same... are Westy cheats because they signed like 3-4 premier players and still retaining the rest? No they are not.

Is it so hard to imagine all those players took a pay cut and we fit in day 7x4 pointers, when we could pay 30k more currently in 2021 more then we did in 2018.

Your calling us cheats and the 2021 season hasn’t even started you don’t know who stays and goes due to covid. No one does.

You will Be surprised players shopping around at clubs and getting shut down due to clubs not having the coin these days. Like I said in a previous post. Probably easier to sign players now then before because no one could pay what they were last year.

Anyway just some food for thought, let’s talk about your club survey, who do you follow?

So you are saying that westy and hillside are paying over 1k for those players ( which would be nearly half the weekly budget ) and that you are sure other clubs are doing the same, yet you cant understand how we cant believe that EK players took a cut to fit these other players in ????
EK are being called cheats due to deliberately fielding sides over the points cap last season, but have done nothing wrong thus far. If they can field all these new players into points and salary budgets, well then great work by Pat.

whos too say westy and hillside still paying same amount as last year, as you have stated players are having to rethink what they ask for .One easy way for EK to silence the knockers it to get on the front foot and open up the books to the league and then this should silence some of the doubters .I know about the old brown paper bags after the game but from my point of view cheating the salary cap would make for a very hollow premiership knowing you have cheated the system . Money does not create a culture and a club that fosters loyalty and mateship

So you are saying that westy and hillside are paying over 1k for those players ( which would be nearly half the weekly budget ) and that you are sure other clubs are doing the same, yet you cant understand how we cant believe that EK players took a cut to fit these other players in ????
EK are being called cheats due to deliberately fielding sides over the points cap last season, but have done nothing wrong thus far. If they can field all these new players into points and salary budgets, well then great work by Pat.

You don’t read very well do you. I said last year pre covid lol... clearly they can’t now is my point why players are not getting stupid money anymore

You and your idiotic point cap statement, Taylor’s lakes were over the cap to mate for acouple games. The league allocated the points not clubs. Go ask your club president... feel like I’m talking to a brick wall. Accuse them of cheating to.

Surely we’re allowed to use the F*og word for comments like this and not get banned Aucklander. Lol

Last edited:
whos too say westy and hillside still paying same amount as last year, as you have stated players are having to rethink what they ask for .One easy way for EK to silence the knockers it to get on the front foot and open up the books to the league and then this should silence some of the doubters .I know about the old brown paper bags after the game but from my point of view cheating the salary cap would make for a very hollow premiership knowing you have cheated the system . Money does not create a culture and a club that fosters loyalty and mateship

Another sokratis here who doesn’t read very well... read my response to him or read my original comment maybe ten times, you may understand then what I’m trying to say.

Clearly clubs can’t pay that anymore is my point it’s not surprising for players to have wages cut in half due to covid...

Ek don’t need to get on no front foot because why would they care what people like you have to say on big footy, if league wants to investigate them there is nothing stopping them.

Harvest the energy hating and go find a sponsor for your club. Might be able to afford a new player.

here's mine In no order without CRazyburn Boys
Josh Grabowski
Thomas Baravi
Rob Castello
Jack Elliot
Dion Hill
Ash Arrowsmith
Ben Caluzzi
Tim Matson
Omar Saad
Anthony Prestia