EDFL Div 1 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Any reports from wc and hs game and Roxy tl
Standouts
WC found some form again and welcomed P Martin back into team after injury. Archer dominant and Dunn midfield. Hopefully Johncock back soon. HS were pretty ordinary though and really never gave a yelp. WC and WESTY in two weeks will shape final 4.

EK flag now, they really impressed with a huge win, showed that Tulla cant match them and wont be able to in finals and showed their coach cant coach, if your 2nd you have to be able to stop an onslaught like that somehow! just had no moves!
Only chance of seeing a GF under 100 points is if WC can get there act together after a poor month, but still wont get close.
As soon as there is bad result on field the coach can’t coach… clearly an overreaction and unjustified. Just a poor day by the club and you have to be at your very best to compete with EK.
There is a clear list difference between EK and the rest of the comp. Only way any side will be able to match it with EK come finals time I think is by out running and spreading on the bigger grounds and playing for their team mates and the jumper. The last side this dominant would have been oak park in this division many years ago

As soon as there is bad result on field the coach can’t coach… clearly an overreaction and unjustified. Just a poor day by the club and you have to be at your very best to compete with EK.
There is a clear list difference between EK and the rest of the comp. Only way any side will be able to match it with EK come finals time I think is by out running and spreading on the bigger grounds and playing for their team mates and the jumper. The last side this dominant would have been oak park in this division many years ago

Don’t understand these comments about windy hill. I think EK will surprise you on these “bigger grounds” shouldn’t be comparing their 2019 team to 2021 team. It is a totally different team.

Will be interesting to see hopefully they prove a few of you critics wrong. There is definitely a lot of pace in that team when it’s needed.

Think top spot is all sewn up now will be fun to watch what happens with 2nd-4th, can literally go anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Has anyone done the calcs on who can make finals? Seems like the WC v Westy game will be huge in Rd 15.

Don’t understand these comments about windy hill. I think EK will surprise you on these “bigger grounds” shouldn’t be comparing their 2019 team to 2021 team. It is a totally different team.

Will be interesting to see hopefully they prove a few of you critics wrong. There is definitely a lot of pace in that team when it’s needed.

Think top spot is all sewn up now will be fun to watch what happens with 2nd-4th, can literally go anyway.

The comments are based on EKs ground being quite small, losing to Tullamarine on their large ground earlier in the year and yes being out run and spread by craigieburn in 2019 during finals. Agree the team is different (better) than 2019 and I’m sure EK have contingencies for all positions. Also from the match vision against WC at EK they seemed a bit flat footed in the first three quarters.

The comments are based on EKs ground being quite small, losing to Tullamarine on their large ground earlier in the year and yes being out run and spread by craigieburn in 2019 during finals. Agree the team is different (better) than 2019 and I’m sure EK have contingencies for all positions. Also from the match vision against WC at EK they seemed a bit flat footed in the first three quarters.

Fair enough. Not going to say much about 2019 it is the past, and to be honest probably the best thing that’s happened for their list if they are to go up into premier. An extra year to build is a good thing seeing as everyone that goes up gets flogged lately. Craigieburn were the better team on the day.

Tulla didn’t beat ek mate, ek beat ek. When you kick 20 behinds or something crazy and missing s**t from the goal square then tulla capitalised, it was just a horrible day in the office and third time playing together as a team as a lot of them were fairly new. Watch the game back, ek should of been up by 10 goals at half time but is what it is, doesn’t matter now. Not a fan of teams going undefeated through the season anyway.

WC game the 3 weeks off definitely had an impact, to win that game after being so horrible for 3/4 says a lot, ek were much better after this break.

But fair enough everyone is entitled to their opinion. Hope the lads prove you wrong come sept I have no doubt they will.

Last edited:
Has anyone done the calcs on who can make finals? Seems like the WC v Westy game will be huge in Rd 15.

I done the predictor on EDFL website, have west coburg, airport west and westmeadows finishing on 44 points but westmeadows miss by %, going to be an interesting month for the finals race

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

the criticism of Connell is pretty unfair IMO. His team is 9-3, second on the ladder and with a defeat over East Keilor who most think is a 10+ goal better list than this competition. A bad day Saturday and clearly a few things didn’t go well for them but bit of a overreaction to pile on the coach. Let’s see how they respond.
Christofi needs a flag, anything else is a fail.
Dale May doing a good job with West Coburg and Roxy Park and APW coaches exceeding most expectations.
Hillside would have to be pretty disappointed with some of their results, how we rating their coach ?
Skip Bray new coach of Rupertswood who have almost never missed finals in Riddell struggled badly, albeit with a mass exodus of premiership players.
Sporle some mixed results but a couple of good wins with Sunbury Kanga’s who most thought would struggle.
The big failure for mine over the last 2 seasons played is Cuzzupi at Taylors Lakes. Talked them up as finals contenders both seasons and been way off the mark. Not winning a game to date is pretty poor. Interesting to see if they stick with him in C grade.
what about the west meadows and hillside coaches ?

Think Mo is doing a good job at Westy. Losing Castello is a big blow on field, having him help off field invaluable. Think they would be disappointed if they missed finals
Hillside I think give a tick , although they are paying well overs for their 2 best players... But in saying that EK are paying well overs for at least 10 of their players

Think Mo is doing a good job at Westy. Losing Castello is a big blow on field, having him help off field invaluable. Think they would be disappointed if they missed finals
I agree considering Mo took over a team that just missed out on being relegated and made finals in his first year and looking like they might be there in his second 2020 does not count I reckon he get a pass mark .Costello on field is a big loss but they have had other injuries to key players through out the year and still played ok footy with a few big scalps along the way .
Hillside 50/50 I still think they are under achieving

the criticism of Connell is pretty unfair IMO. His team is 9-3, second on the ladder and with a defeat over East Keilor who most think is a 10+ goal better list than this competition. A bad day Saturday and clearly a few things didn’t go well for them but bit of a overreaction to pile on the coach. Let’s see how they respond.
Christofi needs a flag, anything else is a fail.
Dale May doing a good job with West Coburg and Roxy Park and APW coaches exceeding most expectations.
Hillside would have to be pretty disappointed with some of their results, how we rating their coach ?
Skip Bray new coach of Rupertswood who have almost never missed finals in Riddell struggled badly, albeit with a mass exodus of premiership players.
Sporle some mixed results but a couple of good wins with Sunbury Kanga’s who most thought would struggle.
The big failure for mine over the last 2 seasons played is Cuzzupi at Taylors Lakes. Talked them up as finals contenders both seasons and been way off the mark. Not winning a game to date is pretty poor. Interesting to see if they stick with him in C grade.
Fair enough - im not being critical of Connell - more that his tactic was hardly groundbreaking . Tulla do unbelievably well for the demographics of the area.
All coaches are generally as good as their lists in EDFL. Maybe can get a 10% rise if they are good

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So it is starting to look like this -
RP coach can coach
Tulla coach cannot coach
EK coach doesn't need to coach

Was it not you guys on the forums saying EK coach is going to struggle to keep all these "individual players" and "chiefs" in line and have them gel together as a team?

Now that he has done that he doesn't need to coach? lol

I honestly dont understand the praise for RP coach, he has literally only had 1 impressive win this season being against WC, the rest of their wins they would of gone in favourites and even lost some as favourites such as Ruppo. With the amount of signings they made pre season i would say he's doing average at best. Far far from exceptional... they have conceded more then they have scored and literally have 6 wins after signing like 12 players. Give it a spell....

Uptherox going to have a whinge and defend his coach as my guess is he is a player but im Just spitting facts. Not saying he cant coach but hes far from great based on his results and definitely not as good as people here make him out to be..

if anything I have been impressed by APW coach after the players they lost pre season and to be in finals contention.

Last edited:
Was it not you guys on the forums saying EK coach is going to struggle to keep all these "individual players" and "chiefs" in line and have them gel together as a team?

I honestly dont understand the praise for RP coach, he has literally only had 1 impressive win this season being against WC, the rest of their wins they would of gone in favourites and even lost some as favourites such as Ruppo. With the amount of signings they made pre season i would say he's doing average at best. Far far from exceptional... they have conceded more then they have scored and literally have 6 wins after signing like 12 players. Give it a spell....

Uptherox going to have a whinge and defend his coach as my guess is he is a player but im Just spitting facts. Not saying he cant coach but hes far from great based on his results and definitely not as good as people here make him out to be..

if anything I have been impressed by APW coach after the players they lost pre season and to be in finals contention.
I'm not a fan of EK due to obvious reason's and give them no credit whether they win it or not but think Bash's comments re: Roxy and APW are on the money here

Everyone praising Faz because no one expected them to do so well, they haven’t recruited big names, they have gone after kids and building a sustainable list for the future mate, 2018 they were in c grade, 2021 they are currently 2 games out of top 4 without breaking the bank. Pretty good in my opinion.

Everyone praising Faz because no one expected them to do so well, they haven’t recruited big names, they have gone after kids and building a sustainable list for the future mate, 2018 they were in c grade, 2021 they are currently 2 games out of top 4 without breaking the bank. Pretty good in my opinion.

If they can beat WC they can do it to APW. Imagine saying that at the start of the year..

So well? the only thing they have done that is amazing is beat WC. Stand by my opinion far from an amazing season. May as well give more credit to HS coach then. Lost their 6 best players (2 to roxy) and only signed 2-3 (far less then roxy has signed) and literally only a game behind.

Take away RP win against WC (who were clearly low on confidence following 3 straight losses, still sensational effort from roxy) and their season is actually below average.

Coach is getting over praised for in my opinion is an average season if anything he has underperformed and lost to sides he absolutely should not have. Bar that win against WC.

Clearly we have different opinions on what is considered a great season. Roxy season to me is considered a failure after 12 signings, dont forget 2 big signings from HS also who are not exactly kids and seasoned div 1 players.

Last edited:
So well? the only thing they have done that is amazing is beat WC. Stand by my opinion far from an amazing season. May as well give more credit to HS coach then. Lost their 6 best players (2 to roxy) and only signed 2-3 (far less then roxy has signed) and literally only a game behind.

Take away RP win against WC (who were clearly low on confidence following 3 straight losses, still sensational effort from roxy) and their season is actually below average.

Coach is getting over praised for in my opinion is an average season if anything he has underperformed and lost to sides he absolutely should not have. Bar that win against WC.

Clearly we have different opinions on what is considered a great season. Roxy season to me is considered a failure after 12 signings, dont forget 2 big signings from HS also who are not exactly kids and seasoned div 1 players.

im not sure anyone at RP is patting themselves on the back. Theyve reinvented themselves with some shrewd recruiting that allows them to improve with an eye to the future. They recruited some good players, leaders themselves some of them. And as another poster stated, the recruiting is quite sustainable. They did have a run of bad injuries to key players which affected them they could have won a couple more games or been even more competitive. I think overall they have done well looking from the outside. Next year will be the real test.

Clearly we have different opinions on what is considered a great season. Roxy season to me is considered a failure after 12 signings, dont forget 2 big signings from HS also who are not exactly kids.

Hillside have also been in division 1 for 6 years and played finals in div 1 in 2018 they have gone backwards a bit and are where i think they should be. It is evident that your knowledge of the EDFL only covers from 2019 onwards, big difference between building a list to buying a list.

Do your research and actually look at the players playing for them, 2 x signings from Hillside not young blokes, laughable if that is all you know. Get your Deer Park hat off champ.

im not sure anyone at RP is patting themselves on the back. Theyve reinvented themselves with some shrewd recruiting that allows them to improve with an eye to the future. They recruited some good players, leaders themselves some of them. And as another poster stated, the recruiting is quite sustainable. They did have a run of bad injuries to key players which affected them they could have won a couple more games or been even more competitive. I think overall they have done well looking from the outside. Next year will be the real test.

Im questioning the overal assumption that people have here that RP coach is a great coach based on this season.

Far from it, if the bloke wins coach of the year again its a shambles. Was a shambles to win it last year also.

Hillside have also been in division 1 for 6 years and played finals in div 1 in 2018 they have gone backwards a bit and are where i think they should be. It is evident that your knowledge of the EDFL only covers from 2019 onwards, big difference between building a list to buying a list.

Do your research and actually look at the players playing for them, 2 x signings from Hillside not young blokes, laughable if that is all you know. Get your Deer Park hat off champ.

Mate, Don't even compare HS season if anything they are over performing compared to RP based on who they lost last year and being only a win behind. Being in the comp for 6 years is irrelevant when you loose the quality they lost. Most teams would of been relegated. Or finished bottom 2 loosing your core group of players.

- Rayner
- Micallef
- Colleta
- Rachrache
- Patane
- Burns
- Klaromenos

All walk ins into any div 1 team and top 3 listed have potential to win BNF in any team in div 1. To be 1 win below ROXY who have gone and signed 12 is an achievement in itself.

Dont get upset because your "amazing knowledge of EDFL" has been questioned.. and my comments agreed to by others.

To say Faz is doing "so well" is an overstatement mate take that as you wish because its a fact. Results speak for themselves and you cannot base a season off 1 outstanding win.

Last edited:
Mate, Don't even compare HS season if anything they are over performing compared to RP based on who they lost last year and being only a win behind. Being in the comp for 6 years is irrelevant when you loose the quality they lost. Most teams would of been relegated. Or finished bottom 2 loosing your core group of players.

- Rayner
- Micallef
- Colleta
- Rachrache
- Patane
- Burns
- Klaromenos

All walk ins into any div 1 team and top 3 have potential to win BNF in any team in div 1. To be 1 win below ROXY who have gone and signed 12 is an achievement in itself.

Dont get upset because your " amazing knowledge of EDFL" has been questioned.. and my comments agreed to by others.

I’m not upset mate, actually far from it, i am crying from holding in my laughter, i know alot about alot, maybe a little too much but this isn’t the place to have these discussions. Moving on to the next hot topic…

I’m not upset mate, actually far from it, i am crying from holding in my laughter, i know alot about alot, maybe a little too much but this isn’t the place to have these discussions. Moving on to the next hot topic…

who would be everyone’s tip for the Div.1 coach of the year at this stage ?
I would toss up between Rogers (APW) and May (WC).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back