EDFL Premier Discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
7 clubs have won premierships in 22 completed seasons from 1999 onwards. I reckon if you went back through the list of premiers for most 10 team comps since time immemorial, then that strike rate would compare very favourably.

On the one hand you say the wealthier clubs will always stay at the top under the current system. But then your solution to even up the comp is to scrap the salary cap and the points system. Won’t that just benefit the wealthier clubs even more than it supposedly does now?
What's your solution Stax? Is there a solution or do the Big 3 continue to dominate and only get tested when clubs spend a heap of $$$(EK & Pacco)?

Local Footy and in particular EDFL is at it's lowest point I can remember.. Clubs not vying for finals(DS, AH, GV, Roys from last year) are really struggling due to lack of volunteers who have been worn down and disillusioned from busting their backsides for No Reward week after week , year after year. What's the use in participating just to ensure the comp runs so the bigger clubs can enjoy it?

7 clubs have won premierships in 22 completed seasons from 1999 onwards. I reckon if you went back through the list of premiers for most 10 team comps since time immemorial, then that strike rate would compare very favourably.

On the one hand you say the wealthier clubs will always stay at the top under the current system. But then your solution to even up the comp is to scrap the salary cap and the points system. Won’t that just benefit the wealthier clubs even more than it supposedly does now?
The biggest problem is that the board of the EDFL allow clubs to play weekly whilst they owe money to the league. This is unfair for all other clubs doing the right thing and paying the league and players with what they can afford.
When will the league understand that the clubs should be responsible for their own stupidity by spending more than they can make.
An arms race is on the horizon and the problem is that when the likes of Abers, EK and Keillor wanna send themselves broke incredibly, from past performances , the league will fund it.
When will the clubs step up and call out this unfair unconstitutional practice.
Ask Rupo who missed out on finals last year cos Westmeadows played whilst being unfinancial

What's your solution Stax? Is there a solution or do the Big 3 continue to dominate and only get tested when clubs spend a heap of $$$(EK & Pacco)?

Local Footy and in particular EDFL is at it's lowest point I can remember.. Clubs not vying for finals(DS, AH, GV, Roys from last year) are really struggling due to lack of volunteers who have been worn down and disillusioned from busting their backsides for No Reward week after week , year after year. What's the use in participating just to ensure the comp runs so the bigger clubs can enjoy it?
Not sure what the solution is, when probably only 5-6 clubs have got any chance of playing finals each season. At least 4-5 clubs are just desperately trying to avoid relegation right from the outset.

Good players will almost always go to the clubs which can pay them the most. Unfortunately quite a few clubs just don’t have the ready cash to match it with the more financially strong clubs. You could give those less financially strong clubs as many points as you like, but class players still won’t go there unless they get top dollar.

Scrapping the salary cap and points system would not achieve equality. It would just benefit the wealthier clubs even more.

Perhaps a combination of lowering the cap amount and giving lower teams more points might be of some assistance. But then how do you police adherence, when some clubs are apparently flouting the cap anyway? Plus, players would then just go to other leagues, unless they too adopted a lower payment cap.

Sorry, that’s a very long winded way of saying I don’t have the answer.

Not sure what the solution is, when probably only 5-6 clubs have got any chance of playing finals each season. At least 4-5 clubs are just desperately trying to avoid relegation right from the outset.

Good players will almost always go to the clubs which can pay them the most. Unfortunately quite a few clubs just don’t have the ready cash to match it with the more financially strong clubs. You could give those less financially strong clubs as many points as you like, but class players still won’t go there unless they get top dollar.

Scrapping the salary cap and points system would not achieve equality. It would just benefit the wealthier clubs even more.

Perhaps a combination of lowering the cap amount and giving lower teams more points might be of some assistance. But then how do you police adherence, when some clubs are apparently flouting the cap anyway? Plus, players would then just go to other leagues, unless they too adopted a lower payment cap.

Sorry, that’s a very long winded way of saying I don’t have the answer.
No need to apologize Stax, you're on the money mate. It's a bloody mess unless you're involved at the Top 3 or Pacco/EK(who are spending ridiculous amounts of $$ to compete, and for their sakes let's hope DM and EK Pres stick around)..

When you have a spare bedroom at home and your looking for a lodger do you invite the homeless troublesome drug addict prostitute that’s acroos the road or do you try to find a quality law abiding citizen to fill the void.
Insert answer now
So why did the EDFL accept Deer Park ?
Thats GOLD

Teams bend the budget but East Keilor has taken this to a new level. Spoke with a current player who is on well north of $2000 a game.

Not to mention the insane contract Matthew Denis was handed.

Feel sorry for any honest clubs. It’s ruining local football stealing players while cheating the salary cap.

No need to apologize Stax, you're on the money mate. It's a bloody mess unless you're involved at the Top 3 or Pacco/EK(who are spending ridiculous amounts of $$ to compete, and for their sakes let's hope DM and EK Pres stick around)..
At least DM played & coaches at the club he supports and has family there. That’s a good reason to step in and help. Loyal and respected in this league.
Just thought I would point that difference out 😀

At least DM played & coaches at the club he supports and has family there. That’s a good reason to step in and help. Loyal and respected in this league.
Just thought I would point that difference out 😀
Morgs is a ripper and Pacco through and through, definitely not having a go at him... He epitomizes Club first no doubt.

Teams bend the budget but East Keilor has taken this to a new level. Spoke with a current player who is on well north of $2000 a game.

Feel sorry for any honest clubs. It’s ruining local football stealing players while cheating the salary cap.
And if the money dried up all of a sudden you’d see every single player ask for a clearance and club would be back in C grade like it was what 5-6 years ago.

What they’re doing to the integrity of the competition is such a farce. However with 127 recruits this year they still won’t make the four.

would that be over 1.2 million spent in 4 years ? and all they’ve got is ‘a top of the table at round 12 promotion’ to show for it.

And if the money dried up all of a sudden you’d see every single player ask for a clearance and club would be back in C grade like it was what 5-6 years ago.

What they’re doing to the integrity of the competition is such a farce. However with 127 recruits this year they still won’t make the four.

would that be over 1.2 million spent in 4 years ? and all they’ve got is ‘a top of the table at round 12 promotion’ to show for it.
I don’t get how many dishonest people are involved.

What’s the point of success knowing you cheated for it? It’s like winning an Olympic medal via dopping.

Their points are absolute cooked I cannot understand their plan. Will just take 1 angry player to dob them in and it’ll be huge sanctions for them.

Great club paying triple what any other club will pay to get mercenaries through the door.

Raising, lowering or even scrapping the salary cap will not make a difference, the money will still be spent by the clubs on players.

The only thing will be that if the cap is removed, then the overspending (and breaking of the rules) will not be a breach of rules anymore.
Let’s be honest.
50% or more of all clubs playing in metropolitan Melbourne are breaking the cap so the cap means nothing.
Points are the only thing that can even all competitions.
Maybe as a optional the premiership team from the previous year plays with let’s say 3 less points than the sides that didn’t play finals that year and every other team that played finals play with let’s say 2 less points than the sides that didn’t.
Over a period of time could this level out the competition?
Just a thought??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like this ...

323385612_968558017449236_5761465036221440279_n.jpg

Feel sorry for any honest clubs. It’s ruining local football stealing players while cheating the salary

EK pays an average of 2500 a player 😂😂

No points in the reserves champ.
All EK are doing is trying to improve there club, what’s wrong with that.
Improving their club by stealing other clubs players via outrageous offers outside the salary cap.

That’s not good for anyone. It’ll all come crashing down, to many know the truth and it’ll come out eventually.

Just takes 1 person with a smidge of honesty and character to unravel the entire club.

Improving their club by stealing other clubs players via outrageous offers outside the salary cap.

That’s not good for anyone. It’ll all come crashing down, to many know the truth and it’ll come out eventually.

Just takes 1 person with a smidge of honesty and character to unravel the entire club.

Not sure how much they will improve either, chasing players from a division below unlikely to catapult them into finals contention. Unless there is more to come they might struggle to even win more games than last season.

But it has been ok for the big four to have stolen players from other leagues and teams over many years and it's ok? Please!
Do I agree with the amount of money being spent by my club? Nope, but until you show me another way to change the landscape because the points system only works for teams with well established pathways that existed before they were introduced.

But it has been ok for the big four to have stolen players from other leagues and teams over many years and it's ok? Please!
Do I agree with the amount of money being spent by my club? Nope, but until you show me another way to change the landscape because the points system only works for teams with well established pathways that existed before they were introduced.
No - you'd recall that there was some angst over Abers picking up Brown from their local rival & each has certainly copped their flack over the journey.
Your attempts at deflecting aside, any club essentially recruiting an entire senior contingent over a 2-3 year stint will raise eyebrows, this is something that Abers, Strathmore etc to my knowledge, haven't done.
Ultimately, your club is up & about, there's likely some good times ahead.

Better solution. Reduce points for finalists. Say 4 point reduction for the premiers. Makes it harder to recruit 5-6 pointers the following year.

Everyone wants to reduce points for the better sides.

So in reality you want the talented sides come back to the average sides. Makes sense Why have finals. Just give everyone a medal for competing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So in reality you want the talented sides come back to the average sides. Makes sense Why have finals. Just give everyone a medal for competing.

Look at the points throughout finals though

Strathmore - 23 points
Abers - 37
Pascoe Vale - 36
Keilor - 30

Essentially all the finalist could recruit 3 EX AFL players and still fit within the points

It isn't that at all. The issue is that clubs that want to raise up the ladder cannot do so as quickly as they used to due to cap restrictions. For example, Airport West has to inject better players into their squad just to stay in the Premier yet Strathmore (due to a long time in the Premier and well-established junior program) has the EXACT number of points to play with. AW might be able to squeeze in four to five new faces (depending on point value) but SM has potentially 22 as a base and 25 points of room to play with for 2023. It just restricts the ability to rise and be competitive for the lower teams and the top to stay strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back