England tour of the West Indies 2019 (3 Tests, 5 ODIs and 3 T20s)

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't see any other result than an England victory in the test series.

Would expect them to win the ODI series too, the form they have been in.

T20 could go either way.

West Indies have not won a one day series since Jason Holder was made captain. If england don’t win that, there is something wrong.

I’m going to tip optimistically and guess at a drawn test series. England’s batting is good but not bulletproof, and their A team had a woeful time against Warrican last year so maybe he will finally show his best form. Bravo to hit a tonne, Hetmeyer to hit his maiden hundred at some point as well.

I know it’s only a few overs in, but this John Campbell looks good and composed on debut

Seems more comfortable at the crease than what most of our top 6 have been all summer!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Strangely the West Indian batting line up looks pretty good on paper. That middle order especially is full of potential.

Bravo (if he's anywhere near as good as he was before his absence from the team)
Hope (who I think has gun potential)
Hetmyer (ditto)
Chase (very good against the spinners)
Dowrich (decent bat)
Holder (was in great form with the bat last year if I'm right)

And when you add Braithwaite who's a very organised opener, it's good to see a very promising West Indian batting line up. It's the bowling where they might be a bit light I feel. Could have had a full time spinner.

Strangely the West Indian batting line up looks pretty good on paper. That middle order especially is full of potential.

Bravo (if he's anywhere near as good as he was before his absence from the team)
Hope (who I think has gun potential)
Hetmyer (ditto)
Chase (very good against the spinners)
Dowrich (decent bat)
Holder (was in great form with the bat last year if I'm right)

And when you add Braithwaite who's a very organised opener, it's good to see a very promising West Indian batting line up. It's the bowling where they might be a bit light I feel. Could have had a full time spinner.

Agree with most of that. Certainly an ‘if it clicks’ batting line up.

Needs to be remembered that the 3 main West Indies quicks have all fared very well on decks that might not have necessarily offered obvious assistance to quicks. Whereas the English bowlers probably tend to be a bit on the toothless side when there’s not a lot on offer so they may be relying on Rashid and Ali a bit more.

John Campbell gone. Misses a sweep off a straight one from Moeen. Dujon was saying on commentary that one criticism of Campbell's career so far is that he gets plenty of starts but doesn't convert as much as he should. So it was here. He looked good though.

Yeah, on retrospection after seeing the opening session, looks like the wicket has decent pace and good bounce. There isn't too much grass cover as well, so it's the kind wicket that is, atleast theoretically, least suited for the english pacers. It isn't a greenish wicket to trouble batsmen with seam movement and the English quicks neither have the pace to cause serious problems on a quick deck nor have the height to cause disconcerting bounce from a length. And the one tall pacer they have who could have been a handful on this deck has been dropped for Rashid.

It's still the duke ball, so batting in the first 20 or so overs will be challenging especially against the english quicks, who have the best new ball skills among all attacks in the world. But when there isn't lateral movement on offer, you feel like they tend to struggle a bit with their lack of pace and Stokes probably becomes the only danger guy then.

Early times I know, but I just think England have missed a trick by dropping Broad for Adil and the Windies have been spot on with their selection of quicks. Pretty excited to watch them bowl on this surface, Gabriel and Holder could be successful here.

"Sensitive area". If it's his utensil and bollocks then just say so; we're not in the Victorian era any more. Well, I suppose TMS still is.

Brathwaite gone for a decent 40. Stokes, pitched up, in the corridor, Brathwaite has a poke and Root does the rest.

Bravo gone now as well, for 2. Full and straight from Stokes and Bravo misses it, getting turned round in the process. Hardly surprising given his lack of first class cricket over the last couple of years.

Frustrating end to the day at the moment. Get to stumps 4 or even 5 down we probably win the day. 6 for 250 is par at best especially considering the amount of starts. If Hetmeyer is there at stumps it gives us a big shot at 350+ though

F*** he’s got some class

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For a 36-year old guy, figures of 24-12-33-4 are remarkable given the pitch was largely unresponsive and that he was still taking wickets right at the end of the final session. Not sure a new ball pairing of Anderson and Curran is the way to go though.

For a 36-year old guy, figures of 24-12-33-4 are remarkable given the pitch was largely unresponsive and that he was still taking wickets right at the end of the final session. Not sure a new ball pairing of Anderson and Curran is the way to go though.

Yeah tbh honest I’m more surprised about anderson’s Figures than Stokes’ - Stokes is noted for being able to flog it into fairly flat pitches and extract something others can’t. Anderson not so much. Although the chase wicket I guess can be put down to classic swing bowling.

Yes, as someone said on the BBC, Stokes and Anderson were bowling on a different pitch to the rest: 43.2-14-80-7

As much as the West Indies get criticised as this hopeless lost cause year after year, today is a microcosm of their actual biggest problem at test level - there is no shortage of players who can make runs. Five of them have passed 40 in this innings. Lack of centuries, and lack of daddy hundreds once they do get there, is what kills them. I wouldn’t expect India or England or SA to have more than 5 players reach 40 on that pitch against a decent attack. What I would expect however is that at least one would get 100 and another around 80. If Hetmeyer can get some modicum or support from Joseph tomorrow perhaps he can get there. Roach’s dismissal was a big blow, he’s not much of a run scorer but he’s made a real nuisance of himself with the bat in recent times

The West Indies will be disappointed with that. 5 players making very good starts and ending up with what may be a sub par score.

I didn't see any of it. Will watch some tonight, if I'm awake.

The West Indies will be disappointed with that. 5 players making very good starts and ending up with what may be a sub par score.

I didn't see any of it. Will watch some tonight, if I'm awake.

I watched the first session and the last half hour. Anderson and Stokes did bowl very well at the end and got more movement than Anderson and Curran did at the start of the day. Stokes’ ball to Roach would have done for many top 6 batsmen. Curran was pretty toothless and aside from eliciting a pretty poor and ill advised sweep from Campbell, Ali was poor. Not really sure about Rashid. Interested to see Gabriel in particular bowl on this deck. 300 MIGHT be enough to compete

As much as the West Indies get criticised as this hopeless lost cause year after year, today is a microcosm of their actual biggest problem at test level - there is no shortage of players who can make runs. Five of them have passed 40 in this innings. Lack of centuries, and lack of daddy hundreds once they do get there, is what kills them. I wouldn’t expect India or England or SA to have more than 5 players reach 40 on that pitch against a decent attack. What I would expect however is that at least one would get 100 and another around 80. If Hetmeyer can get some modicum or support from Joseph tomorrow perhaps he can get there. Roach’s dismissal was a big blow, he’s not much of a run scorer but he’s made a real nuisance of himself with the bat in recent times

Its the same issue the Aussies have. Blokes will make scores of 50-70 but none go one and make a 100. Its the difference between making 250-300 and 350+. You need someone to make a big score and the WI have failed to do this for 10yrs and the Aussies find themselves doing it the last 12-18mths

Good day1 for Anderson +Stokes.A few Windies batsman got starts but didn't go on with it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back