Premier Lg EPL Matchday 28 & 29 - On Optus Sport

Premier League Football

Remove this Banner Ad

Nobody does timewasting quite like Brentford.

Yes that was extraordinary viewing. Not uncommon to see teams set up like this and play in that kind of manner, however holy moly that second half was something else.

Brentford caused Arsenal many problems in this fixture last season, Toney in particular gave Saliba a torrid time. Haven’t seen another forward as yet trouble him like that. In patches this match they had their openings, however then seemingly reverted to their dark arts instead.

Full dress rehearsal for Porto to do their thing again Wednesday morning.

Excellent win. That error from Ramsdale was awful and shows why Arteta made the right decision in having Raya as his number 1. Great mentality to just keep going and find a way to win.

Rice coming up big again and showing why he's so vital to our side. 7 goal involvements in his last 9 games. Colossal.

Brentford love a bit of shithousery and they wasted a heap of time. Thought they could have had a few more bookings.

Great header from Havertz and suddenly the 60m is not looking like a waste of money at all.

He made a lot of mistakes in the run in last year and is one of the big reasons we fell apart.

Was well aware of his quality as a 6 prior to joining Arsenal, however his game is going to another level here in this more advanced 8 role. He has the freedom to get forward with the assured Jorginho behind him. And has added goals and assists to his game with the timing and arrival in the box. Outstanding.

I’d counter that the way Arteta handled his replacement has created a pressure cooker every time he plays, resulting in uncharacteristic errors.

Probably cost us another in £10m off his transfer value too.

Said it before and will say it again, the scrutiny on this has hindered both he and Raya. Am convinced you won’t see the best of either whilst both remain at the club. Next season will be different. However for now am very pleased for Ramsdale that his mistake didn’t costs points, his celebrations of Havertz’s winner were very indicative of that.

Yes that was extraordinary viewing. Not uncommon to see teams set up like this and play in that kind of manner, however holy moly that second half was something else.

Brentford caused Arsenal many problems in this fixture last season, Toney in particular gave Saliba a torrid time. Haven’t seen another forward as yet trouble him like that. In patches this match they had their openings, however then seemingly reverted to their dark arts instead.

Full dress rehearsal for Porto to do their thing again Wednesday morning.
The time wasting was no worse than I've seen with a handful of Premier League sides this season.

It is annoying but all just part of mentality test of a title race. If you're against a team locked into 12th place on the final day, you better believe they'll still time waste just as much as Brentford did last night.

I just saw the Ramsdale error. The commentary “that in a nutshell is why this kid is on the bench.” lol. What? I mean there’s a good chance that he’s never had an error exactly like that in his career before today.
Other starting keepers have made that mistake and are starting for other clubs, and Raya has nearly been caught on it too. Happens to every ball playing keeper at some point. Ramsdale was stiff that it deflected into his goal on another day that thing launches over the goal or out for a throw. Was a really silly bit of commentary.

Odd that Frank points out that Havertz should have been off for his dive but doesn't mention the fouls on Gabriel or Trossard. But if you are going to allow those fouls on Arsenal players, then you can't complain when Havertz isn't carded. Ref set the standard early that only s**t tackles were getting carded and at least he was consistent.

Loved the shithouse time wasting from Brentford before the 2nd Arsenal goal, and then the complaints of time wasting at Arsenal after it :sweatsmile:.

Still, Brentford have plans for certain teams. It worked against Arsenal last year, it frustrated City a few weeks ago and nearly got Arsenal today. I don't see them getting relegated and they get Mbueno back next season.

The author has conveniently ignored the penalty that was not called on Trossard, or Gabriel.

Swings and roundabouts anyway.
Agree with Andy Townsend. Went down far too easy.
No pen for Gabriel.

Fair enough on Trossard.
But then you'd playing last 25 minutes 10v11.

Havertz was a dive, no foul. With Gabriel - “I’ve seen them given”. Trossard’s claim was the strongest, looked a penalty to me.

Was thinking of a totally random dilemma this morning.

1st minute of the game and Haaland gets put through and Van Dijk fouls him just outside the box as he's about to shoot.

Free kick, last man, DOGSO, red card for Van Dijk. But VAR is looking at it, they think it could be inside the box, would be a penalty but no red card for Van Dijk.

What decision do you want?

And if the roles were reversed and Nunez got sent through and Dias fouls, would you want the same decision?

1st minute of the game and Haaland gets put through and Van Dijk fouls him just outside the box as he's about to shoot.

Free kick, last man, DOGSO, red card for Van Dijk. But VAR is looking at it, they think it could be inside the box, would be a penalty but no red card for Van Dijk.

And if the roles were reversed and Nunez got sent through and Dias fouls, would you want the same decision?
I want them to reverse the decision once they realise it was Haaland that fouled Van Dijk.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

it’s so funny, now it’s Pep’s turn to cry preemptively about the referee.

I recall Klopp doing it about Paul Tierney early stages this season and everyone jumped on him, and since then we’ve had the trifecta of Arteta, Pochettino and now Guardiola having a go before a game at Anfield and no one batters an eyelid.

I’d take the penalty every time. As long as it’s not Nunez taking the penalty haha

If it was outside the area, ref wouldnt give a red anyway. Kompany on Salah still pisses me off.

it’s so funny, now it’s Pep’s turn to cry preemptively about the referee.

I recall Klopp doing it about Paul Tierney early stages this season and everyone jumped on him, and since then we’ve had the trifecta of Arteta, Pochettino and now Guardiola having a go before a game at Anfield and no one batters an eyelid.
Is he crying here? Or have I missed something?

Is he crying here? Or have I missed something?

What more do you need than “We can’t control what happens in this stadium with the referees.”

If you think that’s just a random statement, then a comment like “We can’t control what happens with diving in the penalty area and Kai Havertz” or “we can’t control what happens with the FFP and recent EPL titles” is equally benign.

What more do you need than “We can’t control what happens in this stadium with the referees.”

If you think that’s just a random statement, then a comment like “We can’t control what happens with diving in the penalty area and Kai Havertz” or “we can’t control what happens with the FFP and recent EPL titles” is equally benign.

He got asked a question about the referees. He said that we cant control what happens with referees and we have to perform better.

I think its a bit of a stretch, particularly when you're comparing to Klopps comments.

"We have our history with Paul Tierney. I really don’t know what he has against us, he has said there is no problems but that cannot be true. How he looks at me, I don’t understand it."

Shame to be seeing this rivalry come to an end. Others may have more history or hostility, but for pure quality of football I think it’s been consistently the best rivalry of the Premier League era.

He got asked a question about the referees. He said that we cant control what happens with referees and we have to perform better.
"in this stadium".

If it was a general "play it the whistle" message there would be no need to reference what happens in this stadium. Remember, he has been visibly outraged at refereeing in this stadium many times.

I think its a bit of a stretch, particularly when you're comparing to Klopps comments.

"We have our history with Paul Tierney. I really don’t know what he has against us, he has said there is no problems but that cannot be true. How he looks at me, I don’t understand it."
This is a yearly tradition with Pep. He went off his nut at the 4th official at Anfield a few years back, so poorly behaved even the bigger pest in Arteta had to drag him away, and still didn’t get sanctioned for it.

He plays the game, and good on him for getting away with it every time.

"in this stadium".

If it was a general "play it the whistle" message there would be no need to reference what happens in this stadium. Remember, he has been visibly outraged at refereeing in this stadium many times.
He got asked the question about referees at Anfield.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back