EPL Matchday 31 - On Optus Sport

Remove this Banner Ad

I really like what Vierra is doing at Palace. He's got them organised and he's getting the best out of individuals. Mitchell, Guehi, Gallagher are now full England internationals. Schlupp and Ayew seem to have more belief. Zaha has a much better attitude, which may have helped him get a soft pen from the ref. Arsenal were not awful but couldn't break Palace down. In their game in October Arsenal snatched an equaliser in the 95th minute. There will be speculation that maybe Vierra would be a better man than Pep Lite at Arsenal.
Their transfer strategy changed a little while back when they got Eze and some other young talent rather than older proven PL types and it's great. Eze, Guehi, Andersen, Gallagher, Olise, Eduoard and probably others I'm missing there too but they were not your typical Palace deals.

If they sign Anel Ahmedozic and Thiago Almada this summer then it's confirmed their chief scout has an FM addiction

Their transfer strategy changed a little while back when they got Eze and some other young talent rather than older proven PL types and it's great. Eze, Guehi, Andersen, Gallagher, Olise, Eduoard and probably others I'm missing there too but they were not your typical Palace deals.

If they sign Anel Ahmedozic and Thiago Almada this summer then it's confirmed their chief scout has an FM addiction

I reckon their squad is pretty strong. Against Arsenal they had Butland, Milivojevic, Eze, McArthur, Benteke, Édouard on the bench and Olise to come back soon. They could lose a couple of players in the off season but their scouting is good and Vierra has them playing to a good system.

I reckon their squad is pretty strong. Against Arsenal they had Butland, Milivojevic, Eze, McArthur, Benteke, Édouard on the bench and Olise to come back soon. They could lose a couple of players in the off season but their scouting is good and Vierra has them playing to a good system.
Is their scouting that good? Seems like they just took the hottest talent from the previous Championship season. I mean there's nothing wrong with that strategy all the same.

Is their scouting that good? Seems like they just took the hottest talent from the previous Championship season. I mean there's nothing wrong with that strategy all the same.

It's a reasonable strategy but it doesn't always work out. Adam Armstrong has not exactly set the Premier League on fire.

Mateta came from France, Edouard from Scotland. Mateta is looking good so far. Edouard has some talent but maybe does not have the drive to succeed in the EPL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a reasonable strategy but it doesn't always work out. Adam Armstrong has not exactly set the Premier League on fire.

Mateta came from France, Edouard from Scotland. Mateta is looking good so far. Edouard has some talent but maybe does not have the drive to succeed in the EPL.

He's also 25, Olise for instance is 20.

He's also 25, Olise for instance is 20.
They are definitely going for championship talents with upside. I don't get why more mid table or even regular relegation threatened clubs don't do it more often. I would be happy with half of spurs strategy being that and the other half established ready go first teamers. For example, I would much rather us have spent whatever to get Lewis-Potter than what we did on Gil

They are definitely going for championship talents with upside. I don't get why more mid table or even regular relegation threatened clubs don't do it more often. I would be happy with half of spurs strategy being that and the other half established ready go first teamers. For example, I would much rather us have spent whatever to get Lewis-Potter than what we did on Gil

Yeah agreed, it's bonkers when you look how Eze and Bowen settled into the league after a small adjustment period. Not every single one will be a gun, but they're relatively cheap, with a lot of upside, and if you go after the right profile of player it should be reasonably low risk (as you can recoup a chunk of your fee selling back to the Championship after a year or two if it doesn't work).

For instance Armstrong was mentioned, but if Soton wanted to cut their losses, he's a 20+ goal a season striker in the Championship and a relegated club or ambitious club would cover a chunk of the fee you would think.

Big game tonight. Reckon Everton will get the points. They’d sort of want to with their run coming up.

Yeah agreed, it's bonkers when you look how Eze and Bowen settled into the league after a small adjustment period. Not every single one will be a gun, but they're relatively cheap, with a lot of upside, and if you go after the right profile of player it should be reasonably low risk (as you can recoup a chunk of your fee selling back to the Championship after a year or two if it doesn't work).

For instance Armstrong was mentioned, but if Soton wanted to cut their losses, he's a 20+ goal a season striker in the Championship and a relegated club or ambitious club would cover a chunk of the fee you would think.

Good points :thumbsu:

Another strategy would be to pick the eyes out of the relegated PL teams but I reckon you would be paying top dollar for players like Sarr, Dennis, Richarlison or DCL.

Good points :thumbsu:

Another strategy would be to pick the eyes out of the relegated PL teams but I reckon you would be paying top dollar for players like Sarr, Dennis, Richarlison or DCL.
Why would anyone pay top dollar for a guy with one good season as a goal scorer? Watching first hand at the game on Sunday you saw how dumb his runs are, his positioning and the amount of times he goes for a long ball header and misses it by a good 5 inches because he mistimed his jump and completely missed where the ball was actually going. It was embarrassingly bad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back