NFL Evolution of the NFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Imagine what pr0n would look like!!Oh baby!
prob disappointing. the field of view is bad.
AROverall.png

the V2 Hololens is more than double the FoV of the original.

I liked the Fox graphics they used for the Superbowl and going forward in to next season (all bar the superhero images of the players), here's some background information on the update for those inclined

I liked the Fox graphics they used for the Superbowl and going forward in to next season (all bar the superhero images of the players), here's some background information on the update for those inclined

Ah ha, so that's why!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The evolution of the last twenty years has been the disparity between run and pass. Twenty years ago there were 15 or more RBs with 250 carries, in 2020 only 3. The evolution from run to pass has meant the decline of the FB, the decline of the true Nose Tackle, and the decline of the thumping MLB. On offense, RBs have to be pass catchers and pass blockers, TEs are often primarily catchers and route runners, the predominance of Shotgun and 3-5 WR sets. On defense, LBs are getting smaller and faster to be useful in coverage, teams are using 3 safeties more often, Nickel is a base, Cover 3 and 4 have surpassed Cover 1 and Cover 2

And as mentioned previously, and as I have suggested in the past, the evolution of the idea of QB from a singular starter to becoming like WR, where you have 4 or 5 of them rostered, signed cheap, and used in rotation during games/seasons, like Pitchers in Baseball, is a possible evolution in the future.

However, NFL trends do go round in circles. Blocking TEs and dual TE packages are making a return. Bell-cow HBs will probably return again. So will old formations and personnel like Wing-T concepts (see Ravens success as predominant run team). College offenses have been used heavily in the past, mobile dual threat QBs have existed in the past, pass-heavy spread-like concepts have been trends of the past. As far back as the 1930s thru to 1950s, long before many of us existed and thus not as popularized by todays media and fandom....so the thinking seems to be things are new now, when much of it did exist and flourish in the past, and we'll see coaches bring in really old concepts again to startle opposing philosophies, get advantage against smaller weaker pass-orientated Defenses, and tailoring offenses around talent available each College generation.

Comments section from above reddit interesting read.....eg....

Whenever this topic is discussed, everyone forgets the insurance companies.

The insurance market for football programs is nearly gone. 10 years ago there were like a dozen general liability carriers that covered "head trauma" for the NFL. Now there's only one.

AIG stopped covering Pop Warner, since they refused to cover "neurological" injuries.

***"People say football will never go away, but if we can't get insurance, it will,"*** Jon Butler, Pop Warner's executive director.

Dr. Julian Bailes, Pop Warner's medical director and a member of the NFL's Head, Neck and Spine Committee, told Outside the Lines ***"insurance coverage is arguably the biggest threat to the sport."***

Maricopa County in Arizona eliminated football programs at four schools, including a three-time junior college national champion, because 358 players accounted for nearly 1/3 of all insurance costs for the district's 200,000 students.

***"It's taken a while, but it's trickling down to each level of the game,"*** he said. ***"I don't know that the general public really understands it. There's only so much that the liability market can take or will take."***

washingtonpost.com
Dalvin Brown
March 5, 2021 at 8:34 a.m. GMT+8

NFL hopefuls are leveraging AI to enhance their performance ahead of the looming 2021 draft.
For the past several months, coaches at EXOS training camp in Phoenix have used skeletal tracking software by Intel in a move that gives coaches and players ways to judge an athlete’s performance other than with their naked eyes. The platform, dubbed “3D Athlete Tracking," displays data on an athlete’s speed, stride length and velocity along with joint angles and other metrics.

The information can be used to help players shave seconds off their sprint times or learn about unintentional body movements that hurt their performance. The training camp revealed news of the pilot Thursday, a day before the start of college pro days, which take place at various campuses through April 9. The predraft events are held annually for NFL hopefuls to show scouts what they bring to the table.
Traditionally, coaches rely on their eyes and years of experience to instruct athletes on how to perform more efficiently. Intel’s artificial intelligence software ads another tool to their arsenal by taking what may be unmeasurable visually and turning it into something that’s actionable.
“Instead of relying solely on human vision, we’re now using computer vision,” said Craig Friedman, senior vice president of EXOS’ performance innovation team. “This concept of taking things that were previously invisible and making them visible to the coach is super powerful.”
One solution for keeping you motivated during workouts: A digitally enhanced reflection
The training platform is hands-free for athletes.
Essentially, coaches have set up iPhones on tripods to capture how players maneuver as they’re performing. The footage is then run through Intel’s deep-learning software, which works to identify key points on the athlete’s body, creates a digital skeleton, analyzes how it moves and translates that data into images and graphs for coaches to use.
AD

EXOS says about 30 athletes have trained using the software so far. Last year, without the software, 83 of the training camp’s athletes were picked by the NFL. Intel, a $77.9 billion American tech corporation, originally developed the tracking for TV commentators covering the Olympics, but its engineers saw applications for other sports arenas as well.
For athletes, the tracking software may fill a gap that sometimes exists between how they think they performed and what a coach tells them they did. Instead of guessing whether their foot placement was correct, the software can show precisely what happened.
“When I was running the 100-meter dash, I’d work with my coach to make adjustments to shave off fractions of a second, but it was all by feel. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn’t, because I didn’t fully know what my body was actually doing,” said Ashton Eaton, an Olympic gold medalist who works as an Intel product development engineer.

Athlete tracking has limitations though. It doesn’t tell coaches or athletes how to correct issues. It only highlights what the athlete did do. It’s up to coaches to determine how to use the information.
“I don’t know that we’re ever going to take the place of the coach, and I don’t think that that’s necessarily always the role of technology,” Friedman said. “But it can make a decent practitioner really good, and it can take a good practitioner and make them great.”

Tom Brady thinks the NFL is getting “a little softer”

by Mike Florio on September 22, 2021, 6:49 AM EDT

He may look young, but he thinks old.
44-year-old Tom Brady, in the latest installment of the Let’s Go! podcast, shouted at some clouds regarding his perception that football has gotten “softer.”

Asked by Jim Gray about the evolution of the position toward mobile quarterbacks, Brady morphed into an off-my-lawn rant about what the game has become.

I think there’s probably a lot of shortsightedness,” Brady said. “You know, when I hear that a lot, because I’ve heard over the years, you know, ‘Oh, the game is changing,’ and so forth. I think the game changes in different ways, absolutely. It evolves and changes and grows and hopefully it’s getting better. And at the same time I think that there has always been, you know, incredible athletes playing professional football at the quarterback position. Randall Cunningham was an incredible athlete. Kenny Stabler was an incredible quarterback. Roger Staubach was. Michael Vick, I mean, I don’t know if there’s anyone more athletic that’s ever played than Michael Vick. . . . I think it definitely adds an element to the game.
“But at the same time the name of the game is scoring points. So there’s definitely more volatility, I would say, in that style of play over a period of time. You’re definitely more injury prone because you’re out of the pocket. You don’t have the types of protection that you typically have in the pocket. And I would say the one thing that’s probably changed over the years in terms of why it’s probably gone a little more this way is, and I’ve alluded to this in the past, I think they’re calling more penalties on defensive players for hitting, you know, for violent contact. And I think when you’re out of the pocket, you know, we got called on a play yesterday where Ryan Jensen‘s going basically to protect our runner and they throw an unnecessary roughness on an offensive lineman that I don’t think would have been called, you know, five years ago. There’s a lot of plays and hits that are happening on quarterbacks now, that are flags for defensive players, that probably weren’t that way 10 or 15 years ago. So I’d say the game is a little softer than it used to be. I think the defensive players are more on the defensive when they go in to tackle. And I think that’s probably adding to this element of quarterbacks outside the pocket and taking more chances, you know, than they did in the past.”

This sounds a lot like Brady’s recent comments that plenty of these fouls result from the failure of offensive players to protect themselves, for example by having quarterbacks throwing a receiver into a big hit that will trigger a 15-yard penalty on the defense.

Regardless, the game has changed. It started in October 2009, when NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith found themselves getting grilled on Capitol Hill regarding the game’s chronic failure to take head injuries seriously. Combined with lawsuits from former players and a very real concern that parents won’t let their kids play the game at lower levels, the league had to make changes.

Brady’s comments underscore something I’ve been anticipating for years. Eventually, someone with the money to buy an NFL team will instead start a separate league that embraces football the way it used to be, with players signing whatever paperwork they need to sign to waive any claims they could make regarding the risks of playing ’80s or ’90s-style football. It would be far more brutal and jarring than today’s game. (Even then, it wouldn’t be nearly as violent as sports like MMA.)

With legalized betting creating an appetite for more sporting events, Brady’s viewpoint may serve only to nudge someone in the direction of starting an old-school football league. It’s a possibility about which the NFL definitely should be concerned.

Thats what the AAF was. Old school football, hard hits, defense respected.

Shane that league died. The XFL wasnt as pure as AAF was in that sense they tried to be progressive.

But its certainly whats needed. A strong rival league.

Bezos should start up a league instead of buying an NFL franchise and sitting back. Should try to make an impact

WTF Amazon....what a stupid ball....

That's got to be just an ad right. They can't actually use a different size ball for games, even the NFL isn't that dumb

Remove this Banner Ad

Back