Ex player that really hurt us

Remove this Banner Ad

Pickering
Bluey McGrath
Those three (with Tudor) ...nekminit 4 Flags from 90’s

I was disappointed when McGrath got punted. Never understood it.

I didn’t think Pickering had it in him to be honest. I was surprised with his performances at Geelong.

I never really rated Tudor before or after. He was in the Steele category.

Brad Sholl was one who I did rate at North and he went on to be a really good player for Geelong. I think he was part of trade for Scott. My memory might be failing me, but if he was it was a decent trade all round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we're not factoring in what we got in return by way of trade or whatever, then I always thought Cam Mooney took a particular delight in touching us up.

Though that game in 2008 when he kicked 7 on us in a thriller could be unduly influencing me.

Either way he would've been bloody handy coming into his own in the post-Carey 2000's when we never quite seemed to have a second decent marking forward.

Remember when Kent Kingsley kicked 8 against us in 2006? Neither do I, but it apparently happened.
I was there. Terrible day.
If we're not factoring in what we got in return by way of trade or whatever, then I always thought Cam Mooney took a particular delight in touching us up.

Though that game in 2008 when he kicked 7 on us in a thriller could be unduly influencing me.

Either way he would've been bloody handy coming into his own in the post-Carey 2000's when we never quite seemed to have a second decent marking forward.
The ‘coralle’ Ablett game

Man this club’s issues the past ten years can be pinpointed to certain moments

Not an ex player but Dusty’s 2019 flag is one where a player has burnt coming to us to stay for success.
2017 he was still a tiger and neither Kelly, De Goey or Gaff have a flag.
Those three have all been to the Big Dance though, which none of our list can claim to have done.

Losing Derek Kickett to Ess was a nail in the camels back for me. It just made me question everything about life and beyond the Milky Way galaxy. I don't think my faith in the AFL has been tested so much until recently when I saw the Dr Geoffry Epstein story on 60 Minutes last week. How did the AFL not know what he was up to when they sold the Sydney Swans to him? It explains the chair-leaders, the music video clips, the pink helicopters...….

Shame AFL, Shame.

I can't possibly feel negatively towards David Hale. He couldn't get a game as a ruckman because McIntosh and Goldstein were ahead of him and he was never suited to a key forward role. I'm happy for him that he found success at a new club.
Did kick 7 playing FF against Scarlett down at the cattery from memory. Just didn't put it together regularly. Glad he did well at Hawthorn, nice bloke.

I suspect Carey leaving hurt us the most. ie membership, revenue, brand etc
Have to agree, though it wasn't so much that he left us but more so that he could not remain. A very sad period. In one horribly misguided err of judgement (added to his other hundred or so other errs of judgement) he destroyed what was one of the greatest, if not greatest periods of our club's history. It cost us respect, it made us a laughing stock, it humiliated our brand, cost us members, revenue, sponsorship and around 14-15 years in the wilderness. Yes without him we wouldn't have one two flags (should have been three). He's our greatest player. However the club is, and always will be greater than any individual. Even the GOAT.

At the end of the day he did so much damage. The bond and friendships he had with his premiership teammates are unlikely to ever be repaired. To this day he's never really come back to the club and invested in our next generation of players. To think how much good he could he could do if he was able to put his ego aside and come back to the fold. Yep Wayne's my vote.

Jesse Smith would have been a captain, and multiple AA/Syd Barker medallist by now.

The fact he packed it up so easily to head to the Saints leads me to believe otherwise.

Reckon if his injurjes weren't as severe we may have gotten a Wells like career out of him.

Talent to burn for days though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The fact he packed it up so easily to head to the Saints leads me to believe otherwise.

Reckon if his injurjes weren't as severe we may have gotten a Wells like career out of him.

Talent to burn for days though.

He was better than Wells.

No evidence for that Snake. Jesse was a special talent but Boomer aside, Wells is the most talented player we've had in last 20 years IMO

My eyeballs and outstanding football acumen are evidence enough.

Have to agree, though it wasn't so much that he left us but more so that he could not remain. A very sad period. In one horribly misguided err of judgement (added to his other hundred or so other errs of judgement) he destroyed what was one of the greatest, if not greatest periods of our club's history. It cost us respect, it made us a laughing stock, it humiliated our brand, cost us members, revenue, sponsorship and around 14-15 years in the wilderness. Yes without him we wouldn't have one two flags (should have been three). He's our greatest player. However the club is, and always will be greater than any individual. Even the GOAT.

At the end of the day he did so much damage. The bond and friendships he had with his premiership teammates are unlikely to ever be repaired. To this day he's never really come back to the club and invested in our next generation of players. To think how much good he could he could do if he was able to put his ego aside and come back to the fold. Yep Wayne's my vote.
good summary, supposedly no one is bigger than the club, in his scenario it was prolly about as close as it gets though. i give them credit for handling this the way it panned out, once this indiscretion went public the rest was pretty much a forgone conclusion. Getting Wells from the fallout was as good as we could have hoped for.

if i was clever enough this is what i would have said! As another poster pointed out, Wells was a good outcome from this fallout but the off field repercussions have lingered.

Pickett was one of the guys that brought me across to the roos, so that kind of stung when he left, but honestly, we are spoilt with player loyalty at the roos.

You want to know true pain, barrack for the roys in the late 80s. We were still playing finals, but the real gutter was when gary pert left for Collingwood. They fell like dominos after that.

Please elaborate.

JWS kicked a goal on the run from the square once. The centre square. There was footage floating around somewhere.

Won the Larke Medal in Franklin's year and was BOG in his second final (against Franklin).

No evidence, LOL.

Jesse would have been an out & out star. His injury shortened career is the biggest tragedy this club has copped in decades.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back