Coach Fages and the coaching group

Remove this Banner Ad

Payne wasn't dropped because he played a bad game of football.
IMO Payne, like a few others who had off seasons operations, was a bit underdone.

Unless you have some inside knowledge, I believe the simply explanation is he was dropped because he had a poor second half in that opening round. Probably does not have as many credits in the bank as some of the more seasoned players, and match committee thought his spot could be covered, against a not overly tall Freo forward line.

Dev also had off season operation and arguably a little underdone and was dropped after a quite game against Pies.

Seriously... as wet as football gets and our game plan tonight is to have an extra at the stoppages while they have a spare down back... FMD so dumb.

The plan is to handball it out of stoppages huh so dumb

I don’t think we can put the loss down to the coaches tonight. I’m not sure they could’ve coached them to play the opposite to what they should have in the circumstances. Surely.

Fagan is a simple man with a simple mind. So when the conditions call for a very simple plan you’d have thought Father Fagan would be best placed?

Awful coaching from Father Fagan. Maybe he thought his disciples could walk water? Or better yet maybe he turned water to wine and been enjoying his own company in the dug out. Might explain a lot tonight!

Pathetic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fagan will look at his stats sheet and say we were pretty good. He'll pat himself on the back and wish we went 13.4 instead of 4.13. Only thing he won't address is how tactically inept we are and a lack of plan B.

Credit to the cats though. They gave up the numbers to have spare men at the back and countered us beautifully

Top 6 disposal getters were Brisbane players tonight. Since when did we decide the Bulldogs game plan was good for wet weather football... or ever a good game plan to follow.

I am a fagan fan still, but fmd. Tonight is a real head scratcher, we can't afford to be balls'ing up games like tonight.

Top 4 hopes are gone this season. Questioning if we make the 8 atm. Tonight was so poor from the whole club.

When the game was on the line after we'd fired a few bullets there was little leadership or desire to stay in the contest.

So it's over to the coaches to spell it out clearly.

Fagan will look at his stats sheet and say we were pretty good. He'll pat himself on the back and wish we went 13.4 instead of 4.13. Only thing he won't address is how tactically inept we are and a lack of plan B.

Credit to the cats though. They gave up the numbers to have spare men at the back and countered us beautifully
And this is why I don’t like how he treats some of the media up here. I get it after the hawthorn thing he no longer trusts anyone in it but if he was in Melbourne he’d be copping a far harder time of it then he gets up here.

I actually wish the media would go harder week to week instead of letting him trot out “yeah the stats showed we played well” rhetoric he spits out week to week.

I don’t think we can put the loss down to the coaches tonight. I’m not sure they could’ve coached them to play the opposite to what they should have in the circumstances. Surely.

I agree completely but as I’ve said before in this thread, it’s much harder to change a list than it is to change a coach. At some point a coach stops getting the best out of the players.

You have to entertain the thought that Fagan's had his time if we turn in too many weak efforts like that.

Maybe the message is not working any more.

We've got 4 games coming up where we should win at least 3 . Drop a couple of those and we're done this year imo.

I agree completely but as I’ve said before in this thread, it’s much harder to change a list than it is to change a coach. At some point a coach stops getting the best out of the players.
You're convincing me.

We just didn't want it enough at all. Seen the same thing at various stages this year.

Some of our efforts inside 50 just weren't indicative of a team switched on that was desperate to win.

You have to entertain the thought that Fagan's had his time if we turn in too many weak efforts like that.

Maybe the message is not working any more.

We've got 4 games coming up where we should win at least 3 . Drop a couple of those and we're done this year imo.

Realistically year is done regardless. We might limp into the finals but if we aren’t top 4 we are no shot. Injuries have hit enough as well.

I don’t think this list is done but I doubt that the board is bold enough to make a change when knowing it could backfire. I just see a 9th-12th finish which is useless given Levi.

A few have said that for some time which is no disrespect to Fagan and what he’s done for the club. I trust he’ll know when it’s time to depart but I hope it’s end of the year when he realises he’s taken the team as far as it can go.

Realistically year is done regardless. We might limp into the finals but if we aren’t top 4 we are no shot. Injuries have hit enough as well.

I don’t think this list is done but I doubt that the board is bold enough to make a change when knowing it could backfire. I just see a 9th-12th finish which is useless given Levi.
I still think there’s enough talent on the list to finish somewhere in the 8. We’ll naturally beat enough teams less talented. The losses will come against the better teams, as I said in the game thread, when those teams go we just don’t wanna go with them anymore.

A few have said that for some time which is no disrespect to Fagan and what he’s done for the club. I trust he’ll know when it’s time to depart but I hope it’s end of the year when he realises he’s taken the team as far as it can go.

Exactly - this is not a criticism of Fages per se. He’s taken us farther than I could have dreamed.

But the cracks in our system have been there for a while and we’ve muscled through with talent. No shock that last week was our best pressure rating since the 2022 semi final against the dees - the last time we won a game on defensive application.

I haven't given up totally on the year but not blaming anyone who has.

We can still win our next 4 with a massive turnaround in mindset.

Unlikely I know

Remove this Banner Ad

Back