Coach Fages and the coaching group

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it the coaches fault our players couldn't kick their set shots?

Jeeze

The accuracy was bad but wasn’t the reason we lost. Difference in our quality of shot and quality of shot conceded today was very stark.

Defensive pressure and approach has been consistently poor with some exceptions for 2-3 years.

Ultimately it’s on the players but don’t think it is unreasonable to question whether Fages can take them further.

Too many dud performances since 2022 against below average teams where defensive application slips, someone clamps down on Neale and our mids go awol, to ignore the pattern.

On the flip side we lost the grand final by a kick so what do I know?

Last edited:

Open lions hot takes guide.

What to say when the lions lose.

Turn to page 38.

Sack fages.
History suggests coaches don't take teams to premierships if it doesn't happen in the first 6-7 years or so. I would suggest the stats would be even worse throwing in a down year heading into your 9th season in charge. Wouldn't it be worth a shot, while the list is still in a great position age wise to look at something different?

History suggests coaches don't take teams to premierships if it doesn't happen in the first 6-7 years or so. I would suggest the stats would be even worse throwing in a down year heading into your 9th season in charge. Wouldn't it be worth a shot, while the list is still in a great position age wise to look at something different?

What would your view towards fages be if we were in this position but had won a flag last year? Any different?

A flag is a flag but we were 4 points off winning one in a game that ended up basically the flip of a coin.

Do we undervalue that?

Imo people would be much quicker to give the coaches a bit more slack given short preseason, taxing finals series, injuries, having to play quite a few 0-20 game players etc.

What would your view towards fages be if we were in this position but had won a flag last year? Any different?

A flag is a flag but we were 4 points off winning one in a game that ended up basically the flip of a coin.

Do we undervalue that?

Imo people would be much quicker to give the coaches a bit more slack given short preseason, taxing finals series, injuries, having to play quite a few 0-20 game players etc.

Emotionally I’d feel so much better if we stole a close win off Collingwood.

Definitely wouldn’t care at all about results this year if I’d seen us win the grand final in person.

(I’d probably think we got super lucky with a weak competition/opponent and managed to steal a game against the run of play).

I'm just kidding BRAB, you're perfect just the way you are 💕

Seems like somebody remembered that public transport is free now and I can now train up to Brisbane to fight them

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do we undervalue that?

Id be ok with it.

But we didn't, and again recent history shows teams don't recover from that quickly. When they do it's usually with a new coach.

Yes definitely his fault the players kept missing and Zorko gave away 3 goals 🙃
So that’s all it was.

We didn’t look like it from the moment we ran out. We’d obviously checked out before then and had already cast our minds to the mid season break. It’s happened EVERY time. That is on the coaches. I guess you could say the same that when we’ve won it had nothing to do with Fages either?

The mere fact a spud like Gunston can kick four on us goes to show how arrogant we were heading into this one and had obviously mentally checked out like they do practically every game before a bye. Again that’s on the coaches that that had not been addressed.

Pumba? 7 disposals 0 impact. Walk up start for selection next game?
Of course he will.

There’s obviously no one in the reserves that could replace him and the other chestnut that what would it serve him playing in the reserves.

I can’t recall a player in more recent times that has been mis managed more as player than Rayner and whilst a lot is on him personally, Fagan has got to take a lot of blame too. I have no doubt that once he moves to another team in another system that he’ll thrive and become the player that all here have wanted him to become because it ain’t happening here.

Do we undervalue that?

We didn’t though so Fagan doesn’t get that out.

Sounds like a lot of excuses otherwise.

So that’s all it was.

We didn’t look like it from the moment we ran out. We’d obviously checked out before then and had already cast our minds to the mid season break. It’s happened EVERY time. That is on the coaches. I guess you could say the same that when we’ve won it had nothing to do with Fages either?

The mere fact a spud like Gunston can kick four on us goes to show how arrogant we were heading into this one and had obviously mentally checked out like they do practically every game before a bye. Again that’s on the coaches that that had not been addressed.

Say what you want about our players but KEEP GUNSTONS NAME OUT OF YOUR MOUTH

Say what you want about our players but KEEP GUNSTONS NAME OUT OF YOUR MOUTH
The mere fact a spud like [insert player name he-who-was-a-Hawk-became-a-Lion-went-back-to-being-a-Hawk-kicked-6-against-the-Eagles-reserves-in-his-one-good-game-for-us-who-asked-to-be-dropped-for-form-and-who-had-a-staring-role-in-many-a-team-selection-game-day-and-review-thread-melt-and-was-well-used-as-a-troll-support-by-others-who-shall-not-be-named-and-whose-time-with-us-reeked-of-mediocrity-and-who-is-all-but-universally-un-missed-now-that-he-is-gone-and-was-a-poster-boy-for-the-Fages-picks-his-favourites-crew], can kick four on us goes to show how arrogant we were heading into this one and had obviously mentally checked out like they do practically every game before a bye.

Better? :cool:

That being said if anyone was going to kick a bag on us today it was going to be him just for the psuedo-karma!

Do we undervalue that?

I'm happy for Fagan to continue as long as he starts showing he's willing to throw away what has worked for him in the past and build something new. He built the damn 3 tall forward / Neale-Lyons 2 punch midfield combo. I know he can do it, it's just that I've not seen him move away from his set ways of operating with his preferred players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back