Coach Fages and the coaching group

Remove this Banner Ad

Said it yesterday.

David king said it last night. Joey agreed. Brisbane need ruthlessness.

Fages is a good bloke, but certainly not ruthless enough. At the press conference yesterday he seemed happy. Said they played well except for a few minutes in 2 quarters. Fages, they lost mate. And probably wrote their season off.

Rayner was all smiles after the game, chatting and laughing with the Hawks players, despite being worst on ground in the rankings. (not including subs or subbed off). Obviously Rynor was as unconcerned as the coach, or not scared of reprisals. Raynor gets a game next week. No worries Cam.
Agree with this. Rayner, at this point in his career, should be collecting Brownlow votes, but currently he’s happy to be collecting his cheque.

He needs to do the right thing and step down. His learnings are bullshit. A great coach for a developing side but not for a side that is in the window.

May as well let him sit out his contract at this point (ends 2025), then get someone in. Means we probably secure Berry and Bags this year, then make one last push under Fagan next year, then he goes out without too much fuss.

Wouldn't be against holding onto Fagan for an admin role like his Hawthorne days but, given what went down last year, I fully expect him to retire from AFL life.

May as well let him sit out his contract at this point (ends 2025), then get someone in. Means we probably secure Berry and Bags this year, then make one last push under Fagan next year, then he goes out without too much fuss.

Wouldn't be against holding onto Fagan for an admin role like his Hawthorne days but, given what went down last year, I fully expect him to retire from AFL life.

You don't think he'll go home as the inaugural Tassie coach?

The boys love Fages, he is the best dad. The dad that loves you no matter what. He ruffles your hair and says things like ‘you scallywag’. Must be hard to coach full grown men, knowing when to push them, hoping one day will grow up and realise that ‘you are professional footballers, getting paid $700k a year, maybe play like one.

Show up please, it’s all I ask. I’d never thought I would say this, but Zorko, he plays like an old fashioned player, someone who wants to be out there.

You don't think he'll go home as the inaugural Tassie coach?

He'll be 64 at the end of next year, has been the oldest coach in the AFL for some time. Unless he wants to become the worse, less successful, AFL version of Wayne Bennett (a guy who sticks around for way too long), I think he retires.

Tassie needed a Hardwick or Cameron type, but that boat has sailed. Whoever coaches Tassie, it will be new blood, don't want to repeat the mistakes of Gold Coast.

Old Luke Power is a name I have heard in the next round of potential head coaches. Currently head coach for Carlton's VFL side.

based on observations, I have not looked at stats, Charlie's set shot kicking is problematic. Almost every game we score more behinds then goals.
He looks like he has no idea what to do every time he marks the ball. He is constantly changing his approach - some times going round the corner, sometimes a set shot. He seems to have no plan or set routine of what to do in this location. His goal kicking confidence is completely gone if not snapping on the run. Aside from that Charlie was playing really well up the ground and delivering the ball forward this week. Suggests its totally mental

It does make his constant remonstration when players dont kick the ball perfectly to him look even worse. But to be honest if you arent kicking it to him in space I would be looking at other targets than Charlie at the moment. He's letting the team down way too much to be targetting in the forward line.

If he was the 10th fittest at the club would it have been a good choice?
This is such a stupid question and totally ignores the point Jivlain is making about Sharp and picking him as a sub.

If you want to ask a pertinent question, ask about Fagan’s philosophy about using the sub, or ask what are the pro’s and con’s of a tactical sub.

This is such a stupid question and totally ignores the point Jivlain is making about Sharp and picking him as a sub.

If you want to ask a pertinent question, ask about Fagan’s philosophy about using the sub, or ask what are the pro’s and con’s of a tactical sub.
I'd suggest Fagan's philosophy on the sub is its the 23rd best player he has available each week. And he would prefer not to use it as he thinks he should back in the best 22 as much as possible. I would also guess he would prefer the sub wasnt a thing so he didnt have to deal with it.

Why should being the fittest mean he can't be the sub?

Maybe even if it's not using his main strength which is his fitness he's still the best choice

I think Fages time is up as far as getting the best out of what we have goes.

It's no reflection on him and I think we'll have him see out his contract and I'd even understand in some ways if we re-signed him.

But considering his age ,the way some players have stagnated and we play like a tired ,going through the motions team I don't believe he's the person to take us forward.

I don't think that's a radical thought and I know everyone's doing their absolute best to get us going again. But the players aren't responding in any way that resembles desperation to win games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As far as sub goes in theory it's probably someone who's not considered in your best 22 players so it's unlikely to be someone who could do anything special.

I would've played Sharp . But whoever we had as sub wasn't going to make any difference yesterday.

The issue was that playing Ryan was a complete brain fade , just a passenger when we were desperate for a goer.

Having now reached the halfway point and seeing what we’ve dished up, can we now read into those comments from Lachie a little more after round 1 about “shitting on your teammates”, or do we still think that was a throwaway line?

To be fair Sharp came on and made 3 crucial mistakes all in the last quarter that cost goals. He didn't look like a player that should have been out there.

But he also looked like he was trying to do too much to make an impact as the sub too which maybe wouldn't of been the case had he started early.
He came on and at stages of the last quarter we were starting to just try and Hail Mary it forward so their were mistakes from a lot of players. I dont really blame the guy who just came on for trying to do too much to spark the team

Having now reached the halfway point and seeing what we’ve dished up, can we now read into those comments from Lachie a little more after round 1 about “shitting on your teammates”, or do we still think that was a throwaway line?
I've actually wondered about that ever since he said it.

Seemed an odd thing to say after Round 1 when he's virtually straight batted every question he's ever been asked in his whole career prior.

Water under the bridge now. The pertinent question is where are we at now and what can we do about it. With an eye on 2025. But if we don't get the desire for the contest back in 2024 it won't be coming back in 2025 without significant change in the coaching and playing group.

He looks like he has no idea what to do every time he marks the ball. He is constantly changing his approach - some times going round the corner, sometimes a set shot. He seems to have no plan or set routine of what to do in this location. His goal kicking confidence is completely gone if not snapping on the run. Aside from that Charlie was playing really well up the ground and delivering the ball forward this week. Suggests its totally mental

It does make his constant remonstration when players dont kick the ball perfectly to him look even worse. But to be honest if you arent kicking it to him in space I would be looking at other targets than Charlie at the moment. He's letting the team down way too much to be targetting in the forward line.
yep, almost prefer a 19 year old and 21 year old to be the main forward entry targets.

He came on and at stages of the last quarter we were starting to just try and Hail Mary it forward so their were mistakes from a lot of players. I dont really blame the guy who just came on for trying to do too much to spark the team
Agreed I don't put the loss down to Sharps influence alone. Our mids IMO and their defensive structure continues to be the reason we lose games. Somehow we won center clearances vs the hawks but it's hard to believe that stat. Might have to send some requests to ZoBlitz for direction of center clearance when he does his game reviews!

To be fair Sharp came on and made 3 crucial mistakes all in the last quarter that cost goals. He didn't look like a player that should have been out there.

But he also looked like he was trying to do too much to make an impact as the sub too which maybe wouldn't of been the case had he started early.
You're a hard marker singling him out of that team but I get your point.

I think we use the sub in a way - especially yesterday at that point in the game - that creates an expectation that they need to lift the team or be the difference.

Sharpie has his deficiencies but enthusiasm and effort aren't them.

If we dropped players from yesterday on mistakes half the mids and nearly all of the forwards don't play

the comment was after the OR game against Carlton and Payne (who played a reasonable first half, but did have a poor second half) was dropped for round 1 against freo. We have lost a further 5 games since that OR and apart from Payne and one or two fringe players no permanent player has been dropped.

You're a hard marker singling him out of that team but I get your point.

I think we use the sub in a way - especially yesterday at that point in the game - that creates an expectation that they need to lift the team or be the difference.

Sharpie has his deficiencies but enthusiasm and effort aren't them.

If we dropped players from yesterday on mistakes half the mids and nearly all of the forwards don't play
Just to be clear I like what Sharp brings and I'm not putting our loss on his shoulders at all. I don't think we generally use the sub as an impact, must make a difference kind of player. We normally don't use it at all. I'm pretty sure there was a game earlier in the year we didn't use it at all.

I just wish all our players had the same defensive intensity as Lohmann is displaying at the moment. The bloke is running past 3-4 team mates to apply pressure up and down the ground at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back