Famous Pies you’ve met.

Remove this Banner Ad

Not popular with many, but Lumumba lived near me for a few years. Would see him around a lot, especially in the green grocers in Smith Street. He bought a lot of veg! The shopowner loved him. He also attended a local yoga class with a mate and she loved him too. He was apparently, in those days, unfailingly friendly and polite. I still feel sad about the way he/we/the club ended up. But that’s another story.

Not popular with many, but Lumumba lived near me for a few years. Would see him around a lot, especially in the green grocers in Smith Street. He bought a lot of veg! The shopowner loved him. He also attended a local yoga class with a mate and she loved him too. He was apparently, in those days, unfailingly friendly and polite. I still feel sad about the way he/we/the club ended up. But that’s another story.
I also met him once at Gosch’s paddock in summer when I was back in Australia on holiday (I used to live in S.E.Asia). He was having a kick with his brother, who he introduced me to. He was a perfect gentleman.

Saw Nick Maxwell while having a beer at the Glasshouse. Gave me a nod. I ran through a brick wall shortly after.

Growing up in Western Victoria in a Collingwood recruiting zone we often had the club attend school and junior footy clinics. I was fortunate enough to meet many greats like Tom Hafey, Ricky Barham, Ronnie Wearmouth, Billy Picken, and many others. Tommy was a man's man and I revered him greatly.

I had the great fortune of having Phil Walsh as my PE teacher at High School. Phil was a great bloke - a tough task-master and uncompromising in his expectations but a bloody decent bloke. I also went to school with Angry Dad as well.

Later I had the pleasure of meeting Bucks (and a few others) on an interstate trip to Adelaide (back in 2000). We flew over to spend the weekend in Adelaide and to watch the game and were on the same flight back to Melbourne as the team. Bucks was an absolute gentleman and invited us down to the club with my young fella for a visit. Later, when we moved to QLD I would bring the young fella down to Melbourne for his birthday each year and made sure it aligned with a Club night where we got to meet many of the players. Always made sure we got to a training session and met as many of the team as we could. I even used to call the club to explain our situation (travelling down from QLD for the lad's birthday) and often we would get 'invited' into the rooms. This was late 2000s when the club seemed to be a little more inclusive and welcoming.

Lucky to also meet Bobby Rose many times. An absolute gentleman and gem of a man
My cousin was in business with Bobby Rose (Army disposal stores), they played tennis together.
Although I never met him through that connection.
Obviously saw him many times at Victoria Park Social Club (top floor), game day in the 80’s, pushing Robert to the window to watch the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Said in other threads medders was my mortgage broker ...he took me for dinner once

Always planned to go to footy with him

Ran into him their once at an essendon game.

Nice guy

Many text messages but now lost contact with him
Dinner? What about dancing or did he just play you?

Apart from my usual meeting of them at trainings...

Earlier in the year, was walking over to the G for the..round 1 game, I think v Dogs. My friend (who is a massive fan, was the reason he became a pies fan -- given his family are Blues supporters) were at the traffic lights that separates the holden centre and the bridge to the G. I hear something behind me, it was Peter Daicos.
I turned around and introduced myself and my friend. He would never have broken the ice. Mentioned to him that my friend was a pies supporter because of him.

We got chatting about a bunch of things, footy, the team, Josh and Nick. The old days. The type of person that is so down to earth and casual. Loves a chat no matter who you are.
Got some photos on his insistence. Then we parted ways as we turned the corner to go to our gate for the game.

I have a beautiful Bobby Rose story involving my brother and dad. My brother Stu was a real lad. Tough as nails. He was a boxer and a brickie who eventually became boss of his own company. My son works for his company to this very day.

A couple of decades ago my beloved dad was in the early stages of dementia but still had a passion for the pies and a memory of all the great players and big moments.

Dad loved Bobby Rose. Stu rang the club and asked if it would be possible for Bobby to meet with him and dad in the social club for a cuppa and a bit of a chat.

To his delight Bobby agreed and the date was set. My tough brother told me his plan. He would spend the afternoon with dad and Bobby, then on the way home he was going to stop the car, turn to dad and tell him how much he loved him as well as thank him for everything he had done for all of us.

The day went even better than Stu had hoped for Bobby Rose was superb. He talked with dad about great games and former players. Stu raised a game dad had told us about for years. We were playing at Victoria Park and with five minutes remaining we were down by 17 points. Bobby Rose kicked three goals in time on and won us the game.

In those days there was no Sherrin Stand and dad said many people had left and gone to the station and they were all craning their necks when they heard the roar of the crowd. Bobby remembered and asked dad and Stu to come down onto Vic Park and proceeded to re-enact each goal with dad. Stu said he was being cheeky and telling dad how far out he was for each goal. He posed for photos with dad and signed the book dad was climbing to like a little kid.

Stu thanked Bobby and took dad home.

I received a call late in the afternoon.

It was my brother and he was incoherent. He was sobbing. When I finally calmed him down I finally understood what he was shouting. "I couldn't tell him! I couldn't tell him!" He could not bring himself to look dad in the eye and say, I love you.
He was just too shy and not used to open declarations of love.

I assured him every minute of that afternoon was telling dad he loved him but Stu was always devastated by his inability to say the words.
The last game I attended with my handsome, rugged little brother was the 2018 prelim on that balmy night.
We were ecstatic. Five months later and my brother died. Stage four lung cancer. 56 years old.

I shed a few tears while writing this.

Bobby Rose occupies a warm space in my heart.💔

Last edited:
Went to Norfland's with a female friend.. lining up to get movie tickets.. turned around.. big Sav Rocca.. I go.. how's it going re Sav.. he goes.. yeah good mate.. seemed really nice.. was gonna ask him for his autograph.. but cause I was with a female friend.. didn't think it was cool to ask..

I have a beautiful Bobby Rose story involving my brother and dad. My brother Stu was a real lad. Tough as nails. He was a boxer and a brickie who eventually became boss of his own company. My son works for his company to this very day.

A couple of decades ago my beloved dad was in the early stages of dementia but still had a passion for the pies and a memory of all the great players and big moments.

Dad loved Bobby Rose. Stu rang the club and asked if it would be possible for bobby to meet with him and dad for a cuppa and a bit of a chat.

To his delight Bobby agreed and the date was set. My tough brother told me his plan. He would spend the afternoon with dad and Bobby, then on the way home he was going to stop the car, turn to dad and tell him how much he loved him as well as thank him for everything he had done for all of us.

The day went even better than Stu had hoped for.Bobby Rose was superb. He talked with dad about great games and former players. Stu raised a game dad had told us about for years. We were playing at Victoria Park and with five minutes remaining we were down by 17 points. Bobby Rose kicked three goals in time on and won us the game.
In those days there was no sherrin stand and dad said many people had left and gone to the station and they were all craning their necks when they heard the roar of the crowd.
Bobby remembered and asked dad and Stu to come down onto Vic Park and proceeded to re-enact beach goal with dad. Stu said he was being cheeky and telling dad how far out he was for each goal.
He posed for photos with dad and signed the book dad was climbing to like a little kid.
It was my brother and he was incoherent. He was sobbing. When I finally calmed him down I finally understood what he was shouting. "I couldn't tell him! I couldn't tell him!"
He could not bring himself to look dad in the eye and say,I love you.
I assured him every minute of that afternoon was telling dad he loved him but Stu was always devastated by his inability to say the words.
The last game I attended with my handsome, rugged little brother was the 2018 prelim on that balmy night.
We were ecstatic. Five months later and my brother died. Stage four lung cancer. 56 years old.
Excellent, if not bittersweet story. Am sure Stu and Bobby are having a kick somewhere now!

Dad loved Bobby Rose. Stu rang the club and asked if it would be possible for bobby to meet with him and dad for a cuppa and a bit of a chat.

The day went even better than Stu had hoped for.Bobby Rose was superb. He talked with dad about great games and former players. Stu raised a game dad had told us about for years. We were playing at Victoria Park and with five minutes remaining we were down by 17 points. Bobby Rose kicked three goals in time on and won us the game.
In those days there was no sherrin stand and dad said many people had left and gone to the station and they were all craning their necks when they heard the roar of the crowd.
Bobby remembered and asked dad and Stu to come down onto Vic Park and proceeded to re-enact beach goal with dad. Stu said he was being cheeky and telling dad how far out he was for each goal.
He posed for photos with dad and signed the book dad was climbing to like a little kid.
It was my brother and he was incoherent. He was sobbing. When I finally calmed him down I finally understood what he was shouting. "I couldn't tell him! I couldn't tell him!"
He could not bring himself to look dad in the eye and say,I love you.

Absolutely beautiful yet heartbreaking story mate. I shed a few with you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back