Mega Thread Farewell our Champs - Boomer, Drew, Spud & NDS all gone at season's end

Remove this Banner Ad

drew has been pretty average for 2 years now, shld have put the hand up
spud has done his best but past it
nds, not the same after the hammy, did well for us
boomer definitely on the way out, had to go

Thank you Drew for standing tall for over a decade as our KPF
You made the team so much better than any one individual could reasonably have done.

Spud Firrito - you have personified playing above yourself. You always made a contest and no one has given more of themselves for the blue and white.

NDS - cheers

Boomer - bloody legend. Pound for pound elite and the game's testament to longevity. The haters have to look at your name at the top of the record books for ever more

Would not begrudge Boomer going to another club. He would walk into the firsts in any team in the comp. Easy for us to say retire as a Roo. But if you love playing footy as much as he does--and are still a gun player--why retire? This would not be Mick Martyn going to Carlton. Boomer has plenty left in the tank.

There goes the BOOOOOOM :(

Still feel flat as a tack.

The way I see it there's been hundreds of players who dreamed as a kid to play AFL, yet for whatever reason (injury, form, dedication, coach didn't like them, homesickness) they played less than 10 games - life long dream over. There will be plenty of these hard luck stories starting on Sunday for the clubs not in finals.

Our 4 champs squeezed every ounce of out of their durable bodies to perform at the highest level, at the same time were magnificent role models for our club and the younger players coming through.

Once the season ends I'm sure all these guys will be very proud of their achievements and will be thankful for the opportunity our club/past coaches gave them to play 1300 games between them as some AFL listed kids don't ever get a chance to play in just one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isn't Brayshaw out at the end of the year too ?
and here he is talking about 5 year plans :oops:

"Brayshaw told Triple M on Wednesday afternoon North was coming to the end of "a footy strategic period" in which it had "overachieved" to make four finals series in the past five years and two consecutive preliminary finals.

The North chairman resisted suggestions the club needed a list rebuild, but noted the official AFL statistician Champion Data had rated its playing group the ninth-best in the competition this year.

"From the board down to the footy department, all we said is 'where are we going from here? What do the next five years look like?' And I think we needed a pretty aggressive reset to give our club the best chance of playing in and winning its fifth premiership," Brayshaw said."

Whilst I am on the "I understand and accept the decision" side of the argument, I will categorically and comprehensively lose my s**t if any of the following are on the list that Boomer has been removed from in 2017:

Ray
Nahas
Vickery
Mayne

There is no justification in anyone's version of reality for any one of these to be on the list ahead of Boomer.

Clubs strive for Premierships. Not mediocrity. Glad that you're easily pleased.
You're also forgetting in his time.......GWS and GC come onto the scene......and the concessions draft picks that come with them during that time. Champion data also stated that our playing list is rated 9th in the league so on those 2 points alone Scott and Co.....have done the club well. Sure no champagne and chocolates but we have won respect again with the comp after what has been a tumultuous time at the club but yes you measure by counting trophies in the war chest.

The comparisons to the treatment of Pav and Swan are ludicrous. One was unquestionably cooked and decided to retire well from the end and the other will probably struggle walking with the medical situation of his leg.
They both knew they were gone and didn't have anything left, that is the clear difference. Our 4 champs thought they had something left in the tank.
As soon as they were told and the group was told, you have to announce that shiz, the players didn't want to announce it themselves because it was still too much of a shock by the looks of it, therefore not much the club can do except put out a statement and have Brad do a presser.
I'm not sure there was a good way to do it when the champs don't want to ride of into the sunset and they all wanted to know their fate, the club couldn't do much but announce it as soon as its done because it gets out, the timing was forced by the players in a way.
Lying to them till post season is delusional and perhaps even worse for the players, almost a stay of execution in my eyes.
I'm curious to see what happens with Hansen, Wells, Waite, Gibbo, Mullett, Nahas, McKenzie and Ray.
Probably be glad I'm not the list manager, I'd be cutting people faster than Homer when he coached Bart's football team (he cut almost everybody).

Sorry to intrude but I think this was a wise move, especially the Harvey move.

Harvey has and is an excellent player however he's been at the club for so long that perhaps his leadership and culture isn't the best to look up to for young players, young players are probably scared to be their own leaders whilst he is around which your club desperately needs.

I am surprised that Thomas stays however.

This is the move that allows the club to have a fresh start.

Harvey has and is an excellent player however he's been at the club for so long that perhaps his leadership and culture isn't the best to look up to for young players, young players are probably scared to be their own leaders whilst he is around which your club desperately needs.

Please don't comment on stuff you know sweet * all about.

Team trainers actually have to turn Harvey away from preseason because he wants to do the hard yards with the 1st & 2nd yr players. There has never been a better leader and role model for our young players to look up to in our clubs history.

Off you go now..

You are surprised Thomas, who resigned a few weeks ago, is staying. You are a font of North knowledge!!!! Lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Back