Player Watch Father-Son Pick #60 (2021) - Jase Burgoyne

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm happy to eat my words with this kid. Every time he gets the ball, you know he's going to make good use of it. Doesn't waste a touch.

Jase today played in a way that I have used in this thread and game day threads to describe him and Andrew Krakourer used in 2022 on Yokayi Footy, and that is composure.

He rarely looks flustered and despite how slight he looks, he rarely gets physically dominated. He has a great tackling technique. He's a smart footballer.

His old man was a fantastic player but he used to do some dumb things and I used to talk about the Burgoyne Brain Fade. I have never used that phrase to describe Jase's play.

Last edited:
So happy for Jade. Coming along nicely. We had confidence to use Jase and Boak on the wings when North clogged the corridor (which made Bergman seem quiet) which says something about where Jade is at.

Edit: hopefully that means we have more than one plan.

Jase today played in a way that I have used in this thread and game day threads to describe him and Andrew Krakourer used in 2022 on Yokayi Footy, and that is composure.

He rarely looks flustered and despite how slight he looks, he rarely gets physically dominated. He has a great tackling technique. He's a smart footballer.

His old man was a fantastic player but he used to do some dumb things and I used to talk about the Burgoyne Brain Fade. I have never used that phrase to describe Jase's play.
Takes after Mum ;)

I don’t get the “he uses the ball so well” type comments….i see a lot of simple 30-35m missed targets with his kicking and rush forward 50 entries. He’s finding the ball now and I’m sure the foot skills will improve as the game slows down for him a bit but he’s a long way from a polished ball user currently.

I don’t get the “he uses the ball so well” type comments….i see a lot of simple 30-35m missed targets with his kicking and rush forward 50 entries. He’s finding the ball now and I’m sure the foot skills will improve as the game slows down for him a bit but he’s a long way from a polished ball user currently.
He's improved his kicking but yeah he's certainly not an elite kick yet. Takes the easy option fairly regularly too (which isn't necessarily a bad thing).

His hands on the other hand are absolutely elite. Super clean and manages to fire a handball out at speed.

9 intercept possessions was the key to his game. Started slow, but was just cutting everything off and winning contests all game long.

So glad he is playing now in the position tailor made for him. He's clearly our first picked wingman and I can't wait to see where he is in a few years.

He's improved his kicking but yeah he's certainly not an elite kick yet. Takes the easy option fairly regularly too (which isn't necessarily a bad thing).

His hands on the other hand are absolutely elite. Super clean and manages to fire a handball out at speed.
Yes ground ball gets and releasing with quick hands has been a highlight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of his forward handballs on Saturday was REH-like! It shot 20m forward through a pack & hit the running player perfectly. His hand s are great! Just needs to keep working on his kicking. He will get there.

Jr Jr Burger seems to be one of those dudes who has a lot of strength even though he's a bit of a string bean so I can't wait for him to hit the power weights in the off season especially in the legs.

His contest to contest work is really starting to get impressive.

Loving the Burger.

As for his look and attitude around the club, the dude is just laconic. He's uber chill. Nothing to see here.

Needed to get fit and fair dinkum over summer, appears to have done both this year.

Really liked his efforts, he’s staying over the footy much more these days.. should be a regular now

Remove this Banner Ad

Back