Analysis Father Son Selections

Remove this Banner Ad

Ah ok, yeah can somewhat agree there. Every club needs depth, but that's what blokes like Roarke are for. I can't see Hayes getting a game anytime soon
Agree with this.

My (possibly harsh) take with Hayes is that if he is getting games then we're no-where near contending for a flag ... and if we're no-where near contending for a flag then I'd rather be getting games into the 19 year old with longer term up-side.

Agree with this.

My (possibly harsh) take with Hayes is that if he is getting games then we're no-where near contending for a flag ... and if we're no-where near contending for a flag then I'd rather be getting games into the 19 year old with longer term up-side.
This leads me to think that if Hayes isn't playing then we're back in contention for the flag.

So we tell Hayes the biggest contribution he can make to our push for the premiership is to play out the season in the VFL.

Problem solved. Bring on the GF!

This leads me to think that if Hayes isn't playing then we're back in contention for the flag.

So we tell Hayes the biggest contribution he can make to our push for the premiership is to play out the season in the VFL.

Problem solved. Bring on the GF!
Also to be fair to Hayes, he's a very good VFL player. Will play a big part of our push for a VFL flag

Ah ok, yeah can somewhat agree there. Every club needs depth, but that's what blokes like Roarke are for. I can't see Hayes getting a game anytime soon
I think you will find that some decisions based around VFL players also relate to our overall salary cap. Getting a seasoned VFL player that can fill a gap now and then when injuries occur can cost peanuts in relation to overall player salaries.

Jack Johnson unlikely to make the grade
What is the go on Jack Johnson, Kyan Eagleton, Kai Dimmatina and Tom Garlick?

Also how is Ewan MacPherson going this year in the NAB League?

Does anyone know if Gerard Healy's report on Sam Darcy is true or just hype/talking point about the unfairness of the FS rule?

Saying the F/S rule sucks because of a hypothetical potential future top 10 pick that we're getting at a reduced discount doesn't mean the idea of father/sons is bad, maybe a few of the rules around points and discount can be reduced, but the media are throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

The media aren't even good at assessing who benefits and not. Given the steep, exponential decay drop-off of picks in the top 10, Collingwood getting Darcy Moore (pick 9, rated top 5 pick) and Essendon getting Joe Daniher (rated top 2/3, drafted with pick 10) is significantly more value gained than us having Wallis, Libba, Hunter, etc. all of which were not rated top 10, so getting a 10 or 15 draft pick upgrade in the second round and later is absolutely nowhere near the value of being able to leapfrog 5+ picks in the top 10.

(Obviously the Heeney leapfrog from pick 18 to the top 5 is also more ridiculous but at least that was the Academy, who the AFL has now understood to introduce separate rules from F/S now)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sam Darcy has moved up in the June Draft power rankings, following a NGA no1 pick last year we could be in line for the potentially the best big in the draft this year.

Espn June power rankings
5. Sam Darcy
The son of Luke, Sam is a 203cm key position player and ruckman with impressive mobility and contested marking capabilities. He has started the season strongly for Oakleigh, with his performance against Western his best so far where he managed 21 disposals and nine marks (four contested). Darcy is lightly built but has shown rapid development and looks like this year's best tall. On the back of updated measurements, at a genuine 203cm, and with his dominant play for Scotch College in the APS Football competition, it's clear Darcy possesses one of the highest ceilings in this draft pool. Expect the Western Bulldogs to match any bids on him.

Sam Darcy has moved up in the June Draft power rankings, following a NGA no1 pick last year we could be in line for the potentially the best big in the draft this year.

Espn June power rankings
5. Sam Darcy
The son of Luke, Sam is a 203cm key position player and ruckman with impressive mobility and contested marking capabilities. He has started the season strongly for Oakleigh, with his performance against Western his best so far where he managed 21 disposals and nine marks (four contested). Darcy is lightly built but has shown rapid development and looks like this year's best tall. On the back of updated measurements, at a genuine 203cm, and with his dominant play for Scotch College in the APS Football competition, it's clear Darcy possesses one of the highest ceilings in this draft pool. Expect the Western Bulldogs to match any bids on him.
Is that from Knightmare on ESPN?

I would think so June Power Rankings for ESPN would have to be Knightmare
That’s good, like anyone he gets some wrong but I’m a big fan of his work, proves to me maybe there’s a little bit more truth to his standings than what people are saying around here

That’s good, like anyone he gets some wrong but I’m a big fan of his work, proves to me maybe there’s a little bit more truth to his standings than what people are saying around here
Yeah I rate most of Knightmare's rankings except Lukcious I don't think he has the steel to be a real top flight player. Knightmare gets a lot right though imo

A 203cm mobile big man, who can be a key positional player and a backup ruckman.
We are screaming up for a player like this,The final jigsaw for a long premmie tilt.

It also helps that he is son of a dog, it still gives me shivers when Luke Darcy screamed out the dogs are going to the grand final during 2016 PF.

So keen to Sam at the dogs.

Just noticed there's a Max Darcy as well. Anyone know if he's into footy and any good at it?

His draft year is 2023 according to the OP so he'd be about 15-16 now.
And hopefully 198cm. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back