Analysis Father Son Selections

Remove this Banner Ad

I know everyone is focussed on the u18s, but for anyone interested we have an absolute ripper coming through at u16 level.
Croft's boy, tall forward. Mofra's spies are reporting we should be excited. Same source says Daicos is a lock for pick 1 and Sam Darcy lacks a little footspeed but is otherwise brilliant (by the description, think of Jordan Roughead as a defender). Ruck height but his future at AFL level is as a KPD.
Is there not two young Croft's?

Ross Lyon and Gerard Healy calling for the father-son rule to be scrapped.

It is one of the best facets of the game imo. These guys are *******s.

Would they be saying it if we didn't have Darcy and Collingwood still had Daicos? Always seems like a system is only criticised when we're the ones benefitting.

Ross Lyon and Gerard Healy calling for the father-son rule to be scrapped.

It is one of the best facets of the game imo. These guys are *******s.
The media just say s**t these days to generate an argument. Half the time it is not even their real opinion anymore.

Father son is one of the last romantic elements of AFL. Removing it would be shredding the fabric of the game.

Can we start talking about how he’s not even the best one in his family yet or is that more of a July topic?

Anyone know how the Young Guns game went a couple of weeks ago? Also Raak has nominated for mid season - must believe we won’t take him end of year? Likely to slip through our fingers it seems.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is the go on Jack Johnson, Kyan Eagleton, Kai Dimmatina and Tom Garlick?

Also how is Ewan MacPherson going this year in the NAB League?

Yes well I did we were dumb for not taking him
We would have missed Scott to Essendon and at the young age of 26 with so much upside and at least 12 years ahead of him as one of the best small forwards in the league. Raak is around 19 so and and at that age does not have much development left in him

For those asking about the Croft twins, refer to page 17 of this thread.
I asked the same question, and stevieg1969 was good enough to advise Jordan is a good junior prospect, but Mitchell is not even playing this year. So at this stage, there is ONE, not two, Crofts on the radar.
(it doesn't take much effort to read back a few pages)

We would have missed Scott to Essendon and at the young age of 26 with so much upside and at least 12 years ahead of him as one of the best small forwards in the league. Raak is around 19 so and and at that age does not have much development left in him
Hayes was the mistake for me, not Scott.

For those asking about the Croft twins, refer to page 17 of this thread.
I asked the same question, and stevieg1969 was good enough to advise Jordan is a good junior prospect, but Mitchell is not even playing this year. So at this stage, there is ONE, not two, Crofts on the radar.
(it doesn't take much effort to read back a few pages)
Further to my initial note Mitchell has played a few matches of local footy this year but seems to be more focussed on his school volleyball. Both boys are playing EDFL U16 Div 2 so any judgements on the boys need to probably wait until they enter the Calder Cannon system (if at all).

Hayes was the mistake for me, not Scott.
Context matters here. When we took Hayes, we still got Khamis as a rookie. Theoretically, if we took Khamis straight onto the main list, he almost certainly would have been delisted by end of last year, but instead he was given the chance to prove himself because of the low risk/opportunity cost attached.

Looking at the rookie draft that year, there's very little we've missed out on.

Callum Wilkie is okay, but hardly a star.
Richmond recruited Aarts straight out of their VFL side, so it's unlikely we'd have even considered him.
Harry Edwards has played a couple of games for West Coast as injury cover, but he's no more quality than Hayes at this stage.

Everyone else was either re-rookied by their own clubs, haven't played a game, or have proven to be duds. Taking Hayes hasn't cost us anything really.

Context matters here. When we took Hayes, we still got Khamis as a rookie. Theoretically, if we took Khamis straight onto the main list, he almost certainly would have been delisted by end of last year, but instead he was given the chance to prove himself because of the low risk/opportunity cost attached.

Richmond recruited Aarts straight out of their VFL side, so it's unlikely we'd have even considered him.
Harry Edwards has played a couple of games for West Coast as injury cover, but he's no more quality than Hayes at this stage.

Everyone else was either re-rookied by their own clubs, haven't played a game, or have proven to be duds. Taking Hayes hasn't cost us anything really.

Sweet actually seems like oe of the best gets from that rookie draft. We did well out of 2018.

Sweet actually seems like oe of the best gets from that rookie draft. We did well out of 2018.
Yeah I ignored Sweet and Young (now best 22 at North) since we did take them. Outside those guys and the players I named, there was very little remaining if we hadn't taken Hayes.

I was more meaning him still being on our list for 2021.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back