Rubbish VFL still exists as does WAFL and SANFL

What you mean this VFL?

Name: FOOTBALL VICTORIA LTD
ACN: 004 246 253
Previous state number: C0023819A
Previous state of registration: Victoria
Registration date: 15/08/1946
Next review date: 15/08/2012
Former name(s): VICTORIAN FOOTBALL ASSOCIATION LIMITED, VICTORIAN FOOTBALL ASSOCIATION

We do.. but most of Carlton, Essendons, Collingwood and Hawthorns premierships are also State premierships. You can only really count premierships from 1990 onwards.
This will always be known as the Port Adelaide argument. :drunk:

I voted Collingwood for sh1ts and giggles but my true response is that it will be the first team on 16 premierships to win another one. I win the internet!

Rig

righhto east fremantle have won 29 cups.. in a state comp the list goes on
The Boston Celtics have 17 NBA titles and the Yankees have won the world series 27 times, Man U has 20 premier league trophies and don't forget Montreal has 23 Stanley cups. May as well add them all too.

well that would be hawthorn with 7
No it would be Hawthorn with 3. The league has only been in it's current state since 2012.
The only valid methods of counting premierships are that, and the entire continuous history of the AFL, formerly known as the VFL. Which would be Carlton and Essendon tied on 16.

We do.. but most of Carlton, Essendons, Collingwood and Hawthorns premierships are also State premierships. You can only really count premierships from 1990 onwards.
Why is 1989 not as worthy as 1990? It was literally the exact same league with a different name

I went with Carlton.

Whilst Hawthorn have been very good, it's a bit much to say they will get another 4 before the others get 1 or 2 in a now 18 team competition.

Essendon and Collingwood are at risk of doing a North in that not being good enough for a flag but still middling sides that don't get high draft picks. Although free agency does change this equation somewhat.

I'm actually not as optimistic as others on Carlton this year. I think they'll win the spoon. And will be at the bottom rungs of the ladder for a couple of years yet. But they do have some very good young talent on the list now and by the time their next couple of years' high draft picks have played 50+ games by ~2023 they will be right up there.

Hate to break it to you mate but:

Name: AUSTRALIAN FOOTBALL LEAGUE
ACN: 004 155 211
Previous state number: C0014601P
Registration date: 18/06/1929
Next review date: 18/06/2018
Former name(s): VICTORIAN FOOTBALL LEAGUE <-------------------------

It's the same league. The Australian Football Leauge (Formerly Victorian Football Leauge) has been registered 60 years before it became the AFL.

Hate to break it to you mate, but they aren't the same premierships. Have a look at any historic premiership cup or flag, if it was won before 1990 it does not say "AFL premiership cup" on it, it says "VFLpremiership cup".

upload_2018-1-9_17-1-6.png

So, as I said, all of the current AFL clubs are a long way off 17 AFL premierships.

Hate to break it to you mate, but they aren't the same premierships. Have a look at any historic premiership cup or flag, if it was won before 1990 it does not say "AFL premiership cup" on it, it says "VFLpremiership cup".

View attachment 449923

So, as I said, all of the current AFL clubs are a long way off 17 AFL premierships.
What changed between 1989 and 1990?
No one ever answers this so I'll tell you. 1 letter. 1990 had the exact same clubs as 1989. Why is 89 worth less?

I've said it before and I'll say it again. There's two ways to measure premierships. You can measure it from the formation of the VFL/AFL - which is one continuous league from 1897-present with 1 name change and has experienced multiple expansion periods. Or, you can measure it in the entire history of the competition in its current state - that is 18 teams. Although that's pretty boring.
Hawthorn: 3
Richmond, Sydney, WB: 1
Everyone else: 0

Would you prefer Adelaide to have 2 valid flags or 0? Your call, but I'd rather have 2 tbh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No one ever answers this so I'll tell you. 1 letter. 1990 had the exact same clubs as 1989. Why is 89 worth less?

I've said it before and I'll say it again. There's two ways to measure premierships. You can measure it from the formation of the VFL/AFL - which is one continuous league from 1897-present with 1 name change and has experienced multiple expansion periods. Or, you can measure it in the entire history of the competition in its current state - that is 18 teams. Although that's pretty boring.
Hawthorn: 3
Richmond, Sydney, WB: 1
Everyone else: 0

Would you prefer Adelaide to have 2 valid flags or 0? Your call, but I'd rather have 2 tbh.
Don't worry, some people are just choosing not to understand this concept.

Don't worry, some people are just choosing not to understand this concept.

If you take the "national competition" argument to its fullest, 2017 when GWS finally had no startup concessions is the first year that the 18 team national competition was legitimate (or as legitimate as it can be given the draw). Hence the premiership ladder is Richmond 1, the rest 0 (because the rest were in a different competition to what we see today.)

And you thought you'd broken a drought? Naahhh......

If you take the "national competition" argument to its fullest, 2017 when GWS finally had no startup concessions is the first year that the 18 team national competition was legitimate (or as legitimate as it can be given the draw). Hence the premiership ladder is Richmond 1, the rest 0 (because the rest were in a different competition to what we see today.)

And you thought you'd broken a drought? Naahhh......

Of course Tasmania is still unrepresented so when North finally fold to their inevitable fate and become a permanent Tassie based team, then all records re-set to zero again.....its not truly national without the Apple Isle, a foundation Australian Rules state....

VFL = Victorian Football League

AFL = Australian Football League.

That is self explanatory.
All premierships are counted, but distinguished seperately.

The name on the premiership cups, the name on the flags ... the name of the premierships themselves.

No-one said anything about "worth less". It is simply a matter of accounting. In 1989 no-one claimed that Hawthorn had won an AFL premiership, so to claim that year's premiership, which was a VFL premiership (whatever it is worth), as an AFL premiership is nothing less than history revisionism.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. There's two ways to measure premierships. You can measure it from the formation of the VFL/AFL - which is one continuous league from 1897-present

You are obviously not aware of what the term VFL/AFL refers to. The slash character or virgule "/" in this construct means "or". So the term VFL/AFL means "VFL or AFL". So the term "VFL/AFL premiership" means "VFL premiership or AFL premiership".

My point stands.

**** I hate these threads that deteriorate into ‘your premierships don’t count derrr’ arguments. The premiership count is whatever the league decides it to be. As it is, VFL premierships are included up to 1990. That’s all there is to it. You can come on to these threads and cry your irrelevant point all you want but it makes zero difference to the FACT that the official count has Port with 1 lonely premiership.

I don't give a shit about name changes, or, when other teams have joined. However, what I do give a shit about is, who has won the most premierships since I started following footy: Since that was mid the1940's, Hawks are way in front on my count.

I don't give a shit about name changes, or, when other teams have joined. However, what I do give a shit about is, who has won the most premierships since I started following footy: Since that was mid the1940's, Hawks are way in front on my count.

77 year old bloke living in Thailand.

videotogif_2018.01.04_20.43.08.gif

Hate to break it to you mate but:

Name: AUSTRALIAN FOOTBALL LEAGUE
ACN: 004 155 211
Previous state number: C0014601P
Registration date: 18/06/1929
Next review date: 18/06/2018
Former name(s): VICTORIAN FOOTBALL LEAGUE <-------------------------

It's the same league. The Australian Football Leauge (Formerly Victorian Football Leauge) has been registered 60 years before it became the AFL.
Not to mention the 1st VFL/AFL grand final took place in 1897

Back