Who will be the first club to 17 premierships

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

As in the title.

The only real contenders are:
Essendon and Carlton - 16 premierships
Collingwood - 15 Premierships
Hawthorn - 13 Premierships

Can Essendon or Carlton win one before Collingwood wins two or Hawthorn wins 4?
I do think Essendon have only won 15 grand finals.

Last edited:

As in the title.

The only real contenders are:
Essendon and Carlton - 16 premierships
Collingwood - 15 Premierships
Hawthorn - 13 Premierships

Can Essendon or Carlton win one before Collingwood wins two or Hawthorn wins 4?

All 4 have a chance of getting there first.

Hawthorn and Collingwood are further behind, but both seem most likely to win the next one.

If none of these clubs have a good decade, and Richmond can go back to back, then Richmond could enter the discussion 10 years from now as a dark horse.

Then again, Essendon might win the flag this year?

Port adelaide have 35 if as you are including state premierships...

We do.. but most of Carlton, Essendons, Collingwood and Hawthorns premierships are also State premierships. You can only really count premierships from 1990 onwards.

We do.. but most of Carlton, Essendons, Collingwood and Hawthorns premierships are also State premierships. You can only really count premierships from 1990 onwards.
Carlton, Essendon, Collingwood and Hawks won their premierships in this league, the league just expanded and renamed. Port won their premierships in a different league.

It cant be argued otherwise, this is what happened.

Just a few facts to remind people what a club with a true culture of sustained success over decades looks like.

Since we played Essendon in 3 GFs in a row, the Bombers have won 2 flags, we have won 8.

Since we played the Blues in 2 in a row, we have 7, the Blues have won 1.

Since 1958, Collingwood have won 2 flags, we have won 13.

At the end of 1964, the Dees had just won their 12th flag. At that stage we had 1. We made it to 13 before they did. What odds would you have got for that happening in 1964?

Just some food for thought....

Well going by that logic, it has to be the Gold Coast Suns then.

Seriously though, I think the Blues will win one in the next 10 years (and that will have the others covered).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawks will be the first to 20 possibly. I’d like to think we get to 17 first but I just can’t see us winning one just yet. Carlton and Collingwood are years off also. Wouldn’t be shocked if none of those four didn’t win a flag in the next 5 years though TBH

I'd say us or Carlton. I think we will get first crack at it in the next few years. Essendon is also the only team of the lot I expect to be playing finals next year. Carlton - well we'll see. Rebuilds are always uncertain. They are always banging on about their elite talent that are going to win them tons of flags but lets see them get off the bottom 4 section of the ladder first. Won't happen next year though with no Gibbs and Docherty.

Infinitely harder to win 2 premierships, let alone 4. For Hawks to win this poll they not only need to be incredibly good in another decade of footy, they need the other teams to fail as well.
This post is very titilating

Why is 17 important?

Not that many times does it come around in league history for position of most flags in league history change hands with someone becoming outright leader.
In all the time I watched only 1982 was a team winning the grand final becoming the new outright leader of premierships. Carlton 14th flag then, went past Collingwood as outright leader and they had been outright leader on 13 since 1958. Carlton levelled on 13 when they beat Collingwood in 1981. Since the change over in 1982, Essendon have became equal leader on 14, 15 and then 16. There has been not much change but with Collingwood on 15 now and Hawthorn 13 and even Melbourne 12 there is a few clubs that could possibly dream of being outright leader in the next 10 years.

All of the AFL clubs are a long way off 17 AFL premierships.

Hate to break it to you mate but:

Name: AUSTRALIAN FOOTBALL LEAGUE
ACN: 004 155 211
Previous state number: C0014601P
Previous state of registration: Victoria
Registration date: 18/06/1929
Next review date: 18/06/2018
Former name(s): VICTORIAN FOOTBALL LEAGUE <-------------------------

It's the same league. The Australian Football Leauge (Formerly Victorian Football Leauge) has been registered 60 years before it became the AFL.

Back