Player Watch Fischer McAsey - Steps Away from Football, Not Returning

Do you think Fischer McAsey will be at the AFC in 2022?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Obviously there is no such thing as a "cursed" pick, but the sample size is now large enough to be significant. For whatever reason pick 6 seems to lead to comparatively poor results. Perhaps that's around the point in the draft where the elite talent is gone, and clubs start picking for needs? Or the point at which you take a risk on a raw but talented player who looks like they have elite traits, or whatever?

Mind you, it's hard to argue that pick 7 should be any different.
Comparing average games played, it’s really quite bizarre

7CD1AFC5-8DB2-4FAF-8A27-DD06EA85B5AB.jpeg

I wouldn't be surprised if he was only doing footy because he was good at it. Once it becomes a full time job it wasn't worth it to him.
I reckon there’d be more players like this then we think.

The assumption is often that everyone who plays footy would want to play AFL if they were only good enough.

So talented kids just end up doing it because they’re good enough and they probably think they have to.

I wonder how many of them actually stop and seriously think if it’s what they want until they’re actually in the system experiencing what it’s like?

Obviously there is no such thing as a "cursed" pick, but the sample size is now large enough to be significant. For whatever reason pick 6 seems to lead to comparatively poor results. Perhaps that's around the point in the draft where the elite talent is gone, and clubs start picking for needs? Or the point at which you take a risk on a raw but talented player who looks like they have elite traits, or whatever?

Mind you, it's hard to argue that pick 7 should be any different.
It's a weird anomaly. I'm just not keen on the argument that we should be okay with it because a bunch of other recruiters also blew pick 6. Maybe that wasn't Freo's point though and he just mentioned it as a fun fact.

I reckon there’d be more players like this then we think.

The assumption is often that everyone who plays footy would want to play AFL if they were only good enough.

So talented kids just end up doing it because they’re good enough and they probably think they have to.

I wonder how many of them actually stop and seriously think if it’s what they want until they’re actually in the system experiencing what it’s like?
Spot on. It's like the kid who does well in Yr 12 & goes to Uni with no idea why exactly they're there, as they don't yet have any idea what career interests them, & subsequently drop out. Kinnear Beatson supported this today when he opined, after years in AFL recruitment, that 18 is too young to be drafted & quoted the NBA as a preferred example.

It's a weird anomaly. I'm just not keen on the argument that we should be okay with it because a bunch of other recruiters also blew pick 6. Maybe that wasn't Freo's point though and he just mentioned it as a fun fact.

Yes, definitely it's no excuse - but we should be looking at the ethos we are approaching pick 6 with compared to, say, pick 4.

In any event, as others have pointed out, even if you were to accept pick 6 was cursed there was no excuse for getting as little out of it as we did with McAsey.

Interesting stuff, just looked it up, fewest average games of any of the top 20 picks.

But then of course our dud pick was one of the duddest even in a group of duds. 2nd least amount of games from a pick 6 since 2000. Only Hawthorn's Mitch Thorp played fewer (2).
Yeah its a strange stat... But Just a few off the top of my head.

1997 draft, dockers chose James Walker. Not great. But he played 150 games from 1998-2008.

2001 draft, west coast chose Ashley Sampi. 97 goals from 78 games. Played 66 games from 2002-05, then 12 games in 2006. then 0 games in 2007 and 2008. Had a close relative pass away in late 2006, he wasnyt the same mentally after that.

2003 draft, essendon chose kepler Bradley, not exactly a great player. ended up at the dockers at the end of 2007.

2010 draft, Tigers chose Reece conca. Played 100 games for richmond from 2011-18. played 46 games for freo from 2019-21.

2012 draft, Port Chose chad wingard. Kicked 232 goals from 147 games for port from 2012-8. Goes to hawks at the end of 2018. 71 games and 68 goals for the hawks. I dont recall him getting injured at Port. He has had multiple injuries at the hawks,

2013 draft, Collingwood chose Matty Scharenberg from glenelg. 41 games from 2014-20.

Curses don't actually exist so that isn't any sort of defense.
well.... That pick 6 has stood out. been many bad players chosen or taken. either good teenagers that turned out bad or average players or talented guys that are injury prone.

He looked like we shot his dog. Not to mention his ecstatic family.

I dunno, I watched a movie where a guys dog got shot...

If only Fish showed that sort of intensity in games

im back keanu reeves GIF

Yeah its a strange stat... But Just a few off the top of my head.

1997 draft, dockers chose James Walker. Not great. But he played 150 games from 1998-2008.

2001 draft, west coast chose Ashley Sampi. 97 goals from 78 games. Played 66 games from 2002-05, then 12 games in 2006. then 0 games in 2007 and 2008. Had a close relative pass away in late 2006, he wasnyt the same mentally after that.

2003 draft, essendon chose kepler Bradley, not exactly a great player. ended up at the dockers at the end of 2007.

2010 draft, Tigers chose Reece conca. Played 100 games for richmond from 2011-18. played 46 games for freo from 2019-21.

2012 draft, Port Chose chad wingard. Kicked 232 goals from 147 games for port from 2012-8. Goes to hawks at the end of 2018. 71 games and 68 goals for the hawks. I dont recall him getting injured at Port. He has had multiple injuries at the hawks,

2013 draft, Collingwood chose Matty Scharenberg from glenelg. 41 games from 2014-20.

well.... That pick 6 has stood out. been many bad players chosen or taken. either good teenagers that turned out bad or average players or talented guys that are injury prone.
The pick isn't cursed, but there's obviously something tricky with picking in that spot. Maybe recruiters try and be a bit too smart about it?

Last edited:
Spot on. It's like the kid who does well in Yr 12 & goes to Uni with no idea why exactly they're there, as they don't yet have any idea what career interests them, & subsequently drop out. Kinnear Beatson supported this today when he opined, after years in AFL recruitment, that 18 is too young to be drafted & quoted the NBA as a preferred example.
'oh you're so smart, you should be a doctor!'
'but I hate blood and talking to people...'
'It would be shame to waste your talents!'

Back