Football Related Random Thread - PART 2

Remove this Banner Ad

The year before we drafted Cam we took Cedric Cox when Shai Bolton, Sean Darcy and Nick Larkey were all still available. We would’ve won the GF last year with Darcy playing instead of the Big O. Our team has also made a lot of excellent picks over the years as well. You win some and lose some.
I think Cams value off the field goes a good way to making up for what his current output is on the field.
The draft is like the lottery in a few ways. You never know how players are going to turn out.

Maybe Larkey, Bolton and Darcy didn't want to come up to Queensland. Maybe there were question marks over their ability to play.
Larkey was at pick in the late 60's, if my memory is correct, and he was a one in a thousand chance to turn out good at that pick.

As good as Darcy has been, he is injured more often than not. Oscar while not at the top level has been very durable as a ruck - which is useful

Would our medical team have done better with Darcy is a different question

Oscar is fine from the perspective that we clearly aren't paying him anywhere clost to top dollar. I'd still rather spend money on other positions than pay Grundy what Collingwood paid him.

Our drafting issues have been post 2017 - while we haven't had many premium picks, outside of the two Father Sons and Kiddy as an academy pick we've basically only clearly hit on Motty. Lohmann remains a possibility.

Would have been great to augment our depth with another pick or two.

We know last year he was hindered with a groin issue Dom. I still think he performed well enough in those games but he gets targeted fairly heavily in big games and it's more the issue that we haven't had someone else take up the slack and give the opposition someone else to worry about. I presume you're talking '23 ,'22, '20

It's a problem when you have a high bar that expectations are high. He has recorded the most possessions ever in a final against Melbourne was it not ?
He is always heavily targeted , must take him all week to recover from all the physical stuff he cops all game ,

Ump 20 clearly approved the Hawks ruck just throwing the ball leading to that Hawks goal. There is literally no way he missed it and even the commentators refuse to acknowledge it.

Lions making finals is actually a relative low probability now:

Since 2000, approximately 18% of teams who started the season 0-2 ended up qualifying for the finals. The majority of the 0-2 sides were just bad teams; some started surprisingly poorly and recovered. But another group started surprisingly poorly and never recovered.

It's 18% if that's the only piece of information you take in isolation.

If you look at overall results for example, just about every finals team ever will have two losses in a row at some point during the season. The only reason the percentage is so low at the beginning of the season is because you're able to throw the bad teams in with the finalists. If you factor in other information like results from previous years, etc, it increases correspondingly, as it can distinguish between the Kangaroos/Eagles of the world and the better teams.

It's 18% if that's the only piece of information you take in isolation.

If you look at overall results for example, just about every finals team ever will have two losses in a row at some point during the season. The only reason the percentage is so low at the beginning of the season is because you're able to throw the bad teams in with the finalists. If you factor in other information like results from previous years, etc, it increases correspondingly, as it can distinguish between the Kangaroos/Eagles of the world and the better teams.
BUT we are clearly a bad team now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had some fond memories at Waverley as a kid - and could never forget how long it took to get out of the car park. Had no idea the plan was to make it a 157,000 capacity stadium.

The power failure footage was funny; thankfully the Brisbane crowd last year was more restrained.

FMD. The Lions website still has tickets for Collingwood on sale.

And then they send Daly out to read a prepaired statement.

Our media/social media is not up to standard.
I don't understand why, but it appears we're incredibly under staffed in our office. Surely positions like marketing, secretary, gofa etc aren't included in the soft cap.

general hand/shitkicker

This guy:

View attachment 1946563

Or...

scooter-muppets.png

FMD. The Lions website still has tickets for Collingwood on sale.

And then they send Daly out to read a prepaired statement.

Our media/social media is not up to standard.

Our media team would not have drafted that statement

The Lions social media team or whoever does all that stuff I find just cringe, trying to be like GWS' page.
I check BigFooty at least 5 times a day, lions website once a week maybe. I don't actively seek their tweets on X either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back