Prediction Future of Josh has gone to the Dogs.

Where's Schack at in 2018?

• Brisbane

Votes: 173 42.3%
  • Other

Votes: 141 34.5%
  • Does anybody even care anymore?

Votes: 95 23.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are passionate fans of a club crippled by young people volentering to enter a system, and then methodically, showing no loyalty, offering no commitment and ripping us off year after year by walking out the door the moment they get the chance. Why would we (given our intetests are the wellbeing of our football club) be inclined to show the player who is giving up on our brand compassion? why would our inclination be to.. passivley mount a defense for them or to see it from their point of view? Im not suggesting we bully them and we will survive without josh Schache, but we.. as fans and ambassoders of our club should be demanding loyalty to our club.. why would people want us or expect us to calmly except it year after year or to 'look at it from their point of view'? If not us, who will get angry? A higher percentage of these young guys should be geared to or inclined to want to be loyal to a cause.. especially an organization on its knees due to young players leaving year after year.. i do not get calls for us, especially from fellow fans, to except why its perfectly fine and normal to trash our brand year after year. It may not be their intention to trash us, but they do.. year after year..

We are passionate fans of a club crippled by young people volentering to enter a system, and then methodically, showing no loyalty, offering no commitment and ripping us off year after year by walking out the door the moment they get the chance. Why would we (given our intetests are the wellbeing of our football club) be inclined to show the player in who is giving up on our brand compassion? why would our inclination be to passivley mount a defense for them or to see it from their point of view? Im not suggesting we bully them and we will survive without josh Schache, but we as fans and ambassoders of our club should be demanding loyalty to our club.. why would people want us or expect us to calmly except it year after year? Who will get angry? A higher percentage of these young guys should be geared to or inclined to want to be loyal to a cause.. especially an organization on its knees due to young players leaving year after year.. i do not get calls for us, especially from fellow fans, to except why its perfectly fine and normal to trash our brand

I love your passion:thumbsu:

Can ppl get off their high horse for 2 seconds. If you left home at 12 yrs old and you're happy then that's fine, good for you but don't ******* think that you're better than another kid who makes a different life choice.
There has been a couple doing that but most only putting their life experience out there, just reminiscing Ruse, the good old days and all that, haven't come across to me as high horsing.

Dodongo will lead a members revolt if Schache leaves. Dodongo's sole aim would be to get on the board with support of the members and threaten the AFL. Dodongo will threaten the AFL by saying that the club Dodongo loves will fold unless the AFL change their ways via contracts etc. Dodongo knows the AFL will be scared because the AFL want 2 clubs in Brisbane. Dodongo thinks that's the best method to finally stop this club from being a feeder. Call the AFL's bluff Dodongo style!

Dodongo left home when Dodongo was 18 and flew many thousand kilometres away as Dodongo joined the Army. Dodongo missed Dodongo's family but Dodongo knew that's what Dodongo wanted to do, regardless of where Dodongo would be based knowing Dodongo doesn't have a choice in the matter. Dodongo would love to see these kids in the Army that think they can live wherever they want in the job they want. Dodongo thinks they wouldn't last 2 seconds with their attitudes but the good thing about the Army is that they will instil discipline in them.

The club & his team mates have gone way beyond expectations to make Schache settle into life in Brisbane as best as he could imagine. If he is homesick & wants to go home, what else if there that can be done?
Funny how things make sense later.At the pre season in Melbourne,Fagan ,Nobleand Swann.. ..and one of them,was discussing the elaborate support structures they had in place and as an example he mentioned a player who he didnt name, had asked to be moved.The situation was a bit Odd Couple in that there were different house living styles involved.They arranged another house for him.Now I think back,it was probably Scache ,and it sounded like the player involved was totally dependent.Scache had been there long enough to look after himself .

Yeah, I think there is a definite culture difference which makes U.S. comparisons flawed. Also flawed are the "When I was 20..." arguments. 20 year olds now are different to 20 or 40 years ago. Even 10 years ago.
All arguments are flawed. They would be facts if they weren't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't help but think of athletes in the USA when I think of our retention issuses. Players who live in los angeles and get drafted to the new york knicks or jets and they stay or get traded to where ever the next year.

The retention problem exists not because they have mums, dads, cousins and friends, it exists because the AFL have accepted it as a reason or excuse. While it is easy to see and understand homesickness and the burden it has on the players, we need not forget the decision the players and the players families committed to when entering the AFL draft. Though the chances of an interstate job maybe rare it is a possibility and one which all parties knew about and agreed to, so he and now she will be able to fulfill their childhood dream. Whilst it easy to say that this sacrifice is unfair to those in this profession, we should realise there is a choice to be made and remember that it is not a sacrifice forever, but only a 8 year sacrifice that has plenty of financial benefits and professional benefits.

So why can an athlete in the USA ply their trade 5.5 hours away from family and yet our athletes can't do it when they are 2.5 hours away. Yes they are slightly older in the states, but does that 2years make you miss home or mum less? This is an AFL issue that is affecting the lions very badly and the only way to fix it is with either contract reform or player transfer reform. Either way the AFLPA will be hard to negotiate to try and fix this issue

The first pick in the NBA draft earns ~US$5+ million per year for his first 4 year contract. That is the set salary. Plus a US$40 million/5 year - US$100 million/8 year shoe deal. (There is a kid going in to this years NBA draft whose dad is talking about a potential billion dollar show/clothing endorsement deal for his three boys). Can sign a 5 year US$200 million+ free agent deal after 7/8 years. They get private jets to every interstate games, stay in 6 star hotels, have a genuine off seasons of 2 - 4 months where they don't have to do preseason training with the team.

The minimum salary for an undrafted rookie free agent is over US$800,000. For a 5 year vet, minimum salary is US$1.7+ million. A 10 day contract is between US$35,000 and US$55,000.

Quite simply because of the money involved, the two can't be compared. Plus, kids grow up knowing it's truly a national sport, and if you are unlucky you could end up in Toronto, Canada. That doesn't stop kids refusing to go to certain teams in the draft, or star players forcing trades to destination of choice or players moving to team of choice as a free agent.

Only if you are a star player.
If you don't fit the teams current need, the team you want to play for will have no interest in you.
I believe his comments are in relation to the AFL not american sport

Edit: as was my response that you queried

Last edited:
No use pretending we are an Accounting firm when we are indeed a football club.

I get what you're saying.

But as footy supporters, giving into our emotional, illogical selves is part and parcel of the deal:footy:

Yeah but my point was about Schache's perspective. Not the punters in the stands.

Richo reaffirming my like of the bloke: "Yeah, you invest a lot in these blokes and to see them leave after two years, yeah, it's not right."*

*Have been drinking, no guarantee that is verbatim

It is getting beyond a joke now. Just about most the footy world is feeling the pain the lions are going through with retention when a few years ago they may have laugh at us. AFL needs to get longer rookie contracts. In the mean time, if Schache leaves we must demand top price. Tell Schache he will go to the highest melbourne bidder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back