Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Still being in those roles likely means that she doesn't have the necessary time that our club needs/deserves

She's been invisible as president
The President's role is to make sure the club is financially strong and to chair board meetings. The executive are there to run the club and report to the board inclusive of football operations.

Not sure you have noticed we have never been financially stronger and like most President's these days they let those from the executive do the talking

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think the problem is off field we are managed great, like the new facilities are great, we are profitable and have smashed membership records which is great

The football side though is dire, our list management has been abysmal, recruiting has been horrible, coaching has been horrible and game day we don't know what Bulldogs side is going to turn up. The board has got to get it's head out of the sand and realise sooner or later these on field performances are actually going to hurt us off field too. We have done so much work to get into 50kish members the last couple of years, however if the fans start to turn and the results drop off they way it looks like they are dropping off we could see that number decrease instead of going up

Agreed. I think it’s easy for people to look at our on-field issues and try to loop it back to KWW.

What KWW does vs the performance we have on game day are so far removed that it’s not even comparable.

As unusual as it sounds, despite our field issues, the organisation as a whole as never been better than it has right now. We have never been so profitable, the club is making money faster than it ever has, and probably comes down to KWW.

Would it be nice to have some on-field success along with it? Of course.
But we are a long way off the worst position we could be in as an organisation.
Thanks for the reply Dr Phil

On CPH2305 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Oh the tales are quite something.

Wood and Picken were told they were lockdown defenders or nothing. Even Bob Murphy was considered gettable by other clubs.

During the McCartney era I generally posted in support of giving him a chance but had concerns from very early on (his press conferences were nonsensical and we could only beat the likes of the expansion clubs and Melbourne early).

Hilariously he had some shockingly rusted on support on this board and anyone who raised concerns was on the receiving end of vitriol. It would be poor form to bring up names (and one or two are current mods).

Genuinely he was one of the worst appointments in the club’s history and could seriously have destroyed us.
legit remember listening to his pressers after losses and having no idea what the man was going on about

I’d love someone write some fan fiction of Bevo going in to his 2022 post season review with Bains and KWW expecting to get a blasting for scraping into finals by 0.1% and then the shocking second half turnaround against Freo, only to somehow walk out with a commitment to load up with Lobb and Jones and a multi-year contract extension with no termination clauses for failing to make finals

… and just before Bevo signs on the bottom line, realising he’s somehow got us over a barrel, he turns to Bains and says “…and tell Sammy Power he needs to give Gardy a 3-year extension too!”
Please, this would be a fantastic read

I often wonder if people here watch the play or just the results.

Some times you play poorly and win. Sometimes you play well and lose.
Sometimes, your opponents stifle your game. Sometimes it’s legal sometimes it isn’t, but if you get away with it it doesn’t matter.

We didn’t play great today, and we lost a game we should have won, but they got plenty of assistance from the umpires, in the way they went about stopping us.

The reason we do well under Bevo, is partly because we get there the hard way, but once we are there the bias evens out a bit, plus we are kind of used to it and refuse to throw in the towel.

Sooner or later the anti-Bevo crew will get their wish and he will exit. But expecting someone else will just walk in and do better, is supremely optimistic.

The odds are heavily waited against it.

McCartney had retired Matty Boyd (need I remind you a 2015 All-Australian, irrespective of the coach that got that out of him in a new position, it proves that Boyd sitll had that footy left in him). That pissed off Boyd so much that even if McCartney had changed his mind and kept him on, Moyd had already moved on.

The fact that McCartney thought that he didn't have anything left to offer the club shows you how poor of a senior coach he was, irrespective of whether he did/didn't people manage very well.
**** him.

I piss on the profiles of anyone that says McCartney was a contributing factor to our 2016 win.

I’ve been in plenty of rooms with high ups in big companies in New York.

You’d be surprised who manages to get a seat at the table at times

I think the problem is off field we are managed great, like the new facilities are great, we are profitable and have smashed membership records which is great

The football side though is dire, our list management has been abysmal, recruiting has been horrible, coaching has been horrible and game day we don't know what Bulldogs side is going to turn up. The board has got to get it's head out of the sand and realise sooner or later these on field performances are actually going to hurt us off field too. We have done so much work to get into 50kish members the last couple of years, however if the fans start to turn and the results drop off they way it looks like they are dropping off we could see that number decrease instead of going up
I buy a family membership. I won't renew next year if there's no changes.

legit remember listening to his pressers after losses and having no idea what the man was going on about
Oh so do I. Some absolute bangers like:

We’re going to play total football” (what does that even mean)

We’re going to be the hardest side to play against
(our average losing margin was roughly 60 points)

and the all time classic:

"We're learning to be much more functional around the ball and defend and once you put those things in place, the scoreboard has a way of taking care of itself."

A bunch of mixed metaphors and cliches with no detail and a total refusal to be specific about anything. And anyone who asked what the f he was talking about on here was told they just didn’t understand.

I mean, they were right but not for the reason thought they were. Great memories.

Sometimes, your opponents stifle your game. Sometimes it’s legal sometimes it isn’t, but if you get away with it it doesn’t matter.

We didn’t play great today, and we lost a game we should have won, but they got plenty of assistance from the umpires, in the way they went about stopping us.

The reason we do well under Bevo, is partly because we get there the hard way, but once we are there the bias evens out a bit, plus we are kind of used to it and refuse to throw in the towel.

Sooner or later the anti-Bevo crew will get their wish and he will exit. But expecting someone else will just walk in and do better, is supremely optimistic.

I think the Western Bulldogs membership staff is now on big footy

On CPH2305 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I was at the game. Umpires were a non factor today.

We were fortunate they didn't kick straight. We lost by 7 behinds today, we were lucky it wasn't considerably more.

I'm not in the Bevo out camp, I am however in the embracing change camp.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey all, obviously a difficult time after your loss tonight but I thought you might appreciate and outsiders perspective. Just reading this board it seems like Bevo is unfairly blamed for a lot of the issues with your team when to me it really is a personnel issue. I think you have 2nd worst backline in the competition, the only team that is worse is Norf. This whole mentality that Bevo is "crazy" and has "shit selection" and that if you get a new coach everything will be sweet is fools gold. You all need to have a look at yourselves and the kool aid you spew up on this board. Your list is average, massively overrated by the media and Bevo can only work with what he has. Seriously have a look at your backline and tell me that if you put that into any of the top 8 teams they'd be playing as well as they are.

The board/administration have really done a number on everyone here. Many of the fans are disgusted, a decent chunk of the players have evidently checked out, and the footy department should have been cleaned out last year.

Now this is going to be a pretty horrible ending and he doesn’t deserve this. Any decent leadership would’ve facilitated an amicable parting of the ways when it was obvious it needed to happen. Now it’ll be messy and it was completely avoidable.
Absolutely this. I can't stand the bloke now and it's completely the fault of the board. He won't be able to show his face around there for years.

It's not fair to anyone and especially Bevo. He should not have been extended so early. It's as simple as that.

The board, Bains and Grant should go with him. How the hell did we end up with Bains anyway. He's got NFI.

I think the best case scenario with a new coach would be some more consistent effort and a few players being reinvigorated. Almost certainly still mid-table.

There’s a very real possibility we will lose just as often and be more boring doing it, or get worse.

It doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try someone else (and let’s be honest: it’s looking very likely anyway) but I do worry a lot of supporters have caught onto this BS about us having a top four list and think we’ll be a contender immediately.

I'm a big of a defender as anyone Prof but if you're going to claim umpiring as being out of our control, you have to also claim Hawthorn's poor goalkicking as out of our control too. Hawks missed a few relatively easy set shots (and we nailed basically all of our easy ones). Realistically Hawks should have actually kicked three or four more than they did and the likes of English, Naughton and Vandermeer kicking straight when all have wobbled in the past probably gave us a bonus goal or two as well.

Hey all, obviously a difficult time after your loss tonight but I thought you might appreciate and outsiders perspective. Just reading this board it seems like Bevo is unfairly blamed for a lot of the issues with your team when to me it really is a personnel issue. I think you have 2nd worst backline in the competition, the only team that is worse is Norf. This whole mentality that Bevo is "crazy" and has "s**t selection" and that if you get a new coach everything will be sweet is fools gold. You all need to have a look at yourselves and the kool aid you spew up on this board. Your list is average, massively overrated by the media and Bevo can only work with what he has. Seriously have a look at your backline and tell me that if you put that into any of the top 8 teams they'd be playing as well as they are.
Hey, ****ing moron, hello! If you actually paid attention here rather than read three comments you’d realise that a large portion of us DO think that there’s many aspects of our list that aren’t up to it. Maybe not as bad as Adelaide’s, our players can at least take marks under no pressure, but still a lot of work to do.

I'm a big of a defender as anyone Prof but if you're going to claim umpiring as being out of our control, you have to also claim Hawthorn's poor goalkicking as out of our control too. Hawks missed a few relatively easy set shots (and we nailed basically all of our easy ones). Realistically Hawks should have actually kicked three or four more than they did and the likes of English, Naughton and Vandermeer kicking straight when all have wobbled in the past probably gave us a bonus goal or two as well.

I think the best case scenario with a new coach would be some more consistent effort and a few players being reinvigorated. Almost certainly still mid-table.

There’s a very real possibility we will lose just as often and be more boring doing it, or get worse.

It doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try someone else (and let’s be honest: it’s looking very likely anyway) but I do worry a lot of supporters have caught onto this BS about us having a top four list and think we’ll be a contender immediately.
I’d rather be capable of beating anyone, and deal with some ups and downs.

Hey, ******* moron, hello! If you actually paid attention here rather than read three comments you’d realise that a large portion of us DO think that there’s many aspects of our list that aren’t up to it. Maybe not as bad as Adelaide’s, our players can at least take marks under no pressure, but still a lot of work to do.
You do not have a Premiership list, far from it.

Could you imagine the chaos and meltdown this thread would have if he was moved on and won a flag elsewhere. It would be biblical

The board/administration have really done a number on everyone here. Many of the fans are disgusted, a decent chunk of the players have evidently checked out, and the footy department should have been cleaned out last year.

Now this is going to be a pretty horrible ending and he doesn’t deserve this. Any decent leadership would’ve facilitated an amicable parting of the ways when it was obvious it needed to happen. Now it’ll be messy and it was completely avoidable.
I said the same thing at some point on here. They’ve somehow turned Beveridge, someone who should be remembered by the club and its supporters forever, into someone that people can’t stand to see involved with the club anymore. Appalling management.

I remember when we were all completely confident the WCE game last year was the end. The board said nope, you’ve gotta see that shit five times over.

Not saying we played particularly well.
But seriously, the different application of rules has become a marked problem for us. Had the rules been applied fairly we win despite having a down day, but they weren’t so we lost.

The big clubs win because when they have a down day, they still typically get the rub of the green enough to get over the line.

The only way to change things is to start pushing back. We should be complaining bitterly rather than self destructing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back